Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powersteer

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2015
Apple is cutting it down to single port so that they can save money and make it cheaper for us .... oh err .... :p:p:p

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
this is not unprecedented. when the original imac was released it only had 2 usb ports but one had to be taken up by the keyboard and mouse so that only left one port for everything else. like usb-c of today usb 1.1 at the time was also new. more adapters will come. let's hope that this thing will be half as successful as the imac.
a lot of users here use their laptops as a desktop with all sorts of stuff plugged into them. the new macbook is a poor choice to be used in this way. this is going to be best used by the business traveler who travels a lot or by someone who's constantly toting it around the house. someone who wants something light weight to rest on their lap without burning their thighs. people have been complaining about the temperature of apple's laptops for years and now apple is offering them a solution. i don't travel much and i prefer desktops so it's not for me but it will be a blessing for some folks.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
this is not unprecedented. when the original imac was released it only had 2 usb ports but one had to be taken up by the keyboard and mouse so that only left one port for everything else. like usb-c of today usb 1.1 at the time was also new. more adapters will come. let's hope that this thing will be half as successful as the imac.
a lot of users here use their laptops as a desktop with all sorts of stuff plugged into them. the new macbook is a poor choice to be used in this way. this is going to be best used by the business traveler who travels a lot or by someone who's constantly toting it around the house. someone who wants something light weight to rest on their lap without burning their thighs. people have been complaining about the temperature of apple's laptops for years and now apple is offering them a solution. i don't travel much and i prefer desktops so it's not for me but it will be a blessing for some folks.

I see myself having a whole mess of cables at my bench (USB hub) but leaving that at work (sort of like a docking station).

On the go I will have only the computer and maybe one USB-C to USB adapter (for software keys, etc).

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Look, do we really care how the other companies' laptops look? They're made of plastic. They cram specs in regardless of performance. Ya, ya... but what really matters is that they all run friggin WINDOWS.
WINDOWS!! Does no one here realize the pile of stinking crap that is WINDOWS?!
Windows 8 is what CURED me of PCs, and brought me out of the dark side to OSX freedom and joy.

Non-Apple PCs that thin generally are NOT plastic. Magnesium seems popular while Apple uses cheap Aluminum.

We'll see how well Yosemite runs on the new MB. Windows runs decently even on Atom.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I see myself having a whole mess of cables at my bench (USB hub) but leaving that at work (sort of like a docking station).

On the go I will have only the computer and maybe one USB-C to USB adapter (for software keys, etc).

Soon as the Macbook takes off there will be docks available, once were into Skylake Apple will hopefully integrate Thunderbolt into the USB C, then this Notebook is going to make a lot of sense.

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.