Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I already own a 2013 15" MacBook Pro, but I need something with more portability as I travel quite often, so I'm willing to sacrifice performance to get it. I'm looking at the 11" MBA vs the new MB. budget is $1350.

You haven't mentioned the most important thing. Is this new laptop replacing your MBP or in addition to it? If replacing it then get the MBA, if in addition then get the MB.

Dante Rising

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2013
You haven't mentioned the most important thing. Is this new laptop replacing your MBP or in addition to it? If replacing it then get the MBA, if in addition then get the MB.

The MBP will continue to be my workhorse at the house. The air or MacBook will be the little road warrior.

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
Yes I agree that a rMBP will be the better option for anyone who has to do much workon his notebook BUT if the USB-C port will become main stream on all Apple notebooks I would wait buying the rMBP since maybe at the end of the year 1 of the 2 USB3 ports on the rMBP will be replace d by a USB-C port.

I am not sure about your line of work - If hooking up to a TV via HDMI is a "critical", "must absolutely" feature (using your own words) - why would you even contemplate buying a machine which would require you to use a dongle to be of any use? You forget the dongle one day - then you hit a show stopper. I would suggest getting a rMBP.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
I would delay this decision by three weeks until you can actually try out the new MacBook or get opinions from people who actually have the machine. Right now there's just a lot of speculation.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I would delay this decision by three weeks until you can actually try out the new MacBook or get opinions from people who actually have the machine. Right now there's just a lot of speculation.

Absolutely agree. We don't know (almost) anything how it really performs with a Core M processor etc.

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Yes I agree that a rMBP will be the better option for anyone who has to do much workon his notebook BUT if the USB-C port will become main stream on all Apple notebooks I would wait buying the rMBP since maybe at the end of the year 1 of the 2 USB3 ports on the rMBP will be replace d by a USB-C port.

But your TV has HDMI, the rMBP has HDMI and you would be set to go. Why would you want to wait for the USB-C to show up on the rMBP and then go out and buy USB-C to HDMI cable? I can't think of any published benefit to connect your computer over USB-C over HDMI?

Just wait for the natural course of things over the next 3 - 4 years when maybe all peripherals do convert over to USB-C. By then, you maybe ready for your next upgrade.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
But your TV has HDMI, the rMBP has HDMI and you would be set to go. Why would you want to wait for the USB-C to show up on the rMBP and then go out and buy USB-C to HDMI cable? I can't think of any published benefit to connect your computer over USB-C over HDMI?

Just wait for the natural course of things over the next 3 - 4 years when maybe all peripherals do convert over to USB-C. By then, you maybe ready for your next upgrade.

with apple tv no need for hdmi

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
you carry your iPAD into your pocket??? wtf :))))
Maybe you are a girl/woman and you mistake the word pocket with purse and yes in this case an ipad is nice to have

Is that an iPad in your pocket? Or are you just really, really happy to see me? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.