Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleperson1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2013
Hi - i'm hoping I can get some good tips on this issue. I have a number of different - very different - projects running simultaneously and it's really difficult to manage them all. I am imagining that there could be some simple app or solution (for Mac) whereby I can track each project.

I've had a look at the project management software options and while there are plenty of great pieces of software, i'm not sure that any would really work for me.

Any ideas of something I might be missing?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I'm a big fan of "real" project management software, like MS Project, which I've used for about 15 years or so, and I also use Merlin on the Mac. I have tried OmniPlan as it's aged but it's still too much of a incomplete toy for my needs. Project and Merlin take some getting used to, and they are to me dedicated resource (time/people/money) management programs.

I am, however, an owner and user of other OmniGroup software, and recommend giving OmniFocus/OmniFocus Pro a look. It's a hybrid GTD/project management/prioritization/resource management application - but without the Gantt charts and need for 2 years of experience before being a useful tool. There's demo at their web site.

If you need or want CRM capabilities, everyone I know swears by Daylight by Marketcircle. One of my friends bought a Mac just to use Daylight, and he lives in that app.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I guess I'm wondering how involved you want the software to be?

Usually, Wunderlist + Google Drive for collaborations to work well for most of my project. I like Wunderlist because you can add sub-tasks, due dates, add reminders, assign tasks, add notes, attachments, etc. It's not perfect but works pretty well. + it's multiplatform so it can sync across macs, iDevices, PC's, Android, etc.

And then Google Drive allows me to share docs w/ the team and people work on stuff together. When an assigned task gets crossed off the Wunderlist for a project, I know I can find related docs in Dive or even just check in on stuff as we go along. At the end, the group folder has all the work, various versions & final docs.

appleperson1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2013
Thanks all. I'm going to try and do GTD properly and use Omnifocus to do that. Thanks very much for the thoughts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.