Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nope, not unless you're using the ion engine. Otherwise, you have to sit through every painful minute. ;)

Answered in dedicated Kerbal Space Program thread, this forum. However, they need to warp time for all circumstances. I won't watch a 1 hour burn. That's too much realism. :p

Last edited:

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Sid Meier's StarShips and Civ: Beyond Earth are on Steam Sale now for combined $27 - which is awesome since Civ:BE is on sale for $25 and Starships on sale for $13.50 ... so you get a super discount on the bundle

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's all most over Sega Weekend- Alien Isolation on sale for $12. Sale ends on March 30th. Reportedly the best Alien game ever... This is just too scary for me... :eek:

alienisolation4.0.jpg

UniDoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
Thailand
It's all most over Sega Weekend- Alien Isolation on sale for THB 390.54 Sale ends on March 30th. Reportedly the best Alien game ever... This is just too scary for me... :eek:

Unfortunately my external Bootcamp install has messed itself up somehow and all games ran terribly on it, like a stop motion video, so I won't be able to play Alien: Isolation. :(

Currently, I'm trying to game on OSX until Windows 10 hits to avoid installing Windows every quarter lol. My "gaming" Mac is the iMac 5K with m295x, surprisingly games do look crisper at 1440p in OSX compared to Windows, even if the output is still 1440p. There's some Retina magic working there. Though I guess I'll need to change a lot of settings, any chance someone would share their settings on 1440p for Cities Skylines, KSP, and Witcher 2? I used to be able to max everything in Cities Skylines under Windows, but on OSX it ran "almost" smooth. As for Witcher 2 it doesn't seem to remember my custom graphic settings.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Unfortunately my external Bootcamp install has messed itself up somehow and all games ran terribly on it, like a stop motion video, so I won't be able to play Alien: Isolation. :(

Currently, I'm trying to game on OSX until Windows 10 hits to avoid installing Windows every quarter lol. My "gaming" Mac is the iMac 5K with m295x, surprisingly games do look crisper at 1440p in OSX compared to Windows, even if the output is still 1440p. There's some Retina magic working there. Though I guess I'll need to change a lot of settings, any chance someone would share their settings on 1440p for Cities Skylines, KSP, and Witcher 2? I used to be able to max everything in Cities Skylines under Windows, but on OSX it ran "almost" smooth. As for Witcher 2 it doesn't seem to remember my custom graphic settings.

I'm running Windows 7. If you are having performance issues, I'm sure you know this, but I'll reinforce, instead of native, your Mac will run games faster on... Windows 7 which is inexpensive to purchase. I'm seeing it as low as $40.

UniDoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
Thailand
I'm running Windows 7. If you are having performance issues, I'm sure you know this, but I'll reinforce, instead of native, your Mac will run games faster on... Windows 7 which is inexpensive to purchase. I'm seeing it as low as THB 1,301.81

I have a Windows 8.1 install, which provided even better performance particularly boot time. However as stated the install magically became sluggish overnight so I'm gaming on OSX for now, while debating whether it's worth a reinstall right now or not with Windows 10 coming.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have a Windows 8.1 install, which provided even better performance particularly boot time. However as stated the install magically became sluggish overnight so I'm gaming on OSX for now, while debating whether it's worth a reinstall right now or not with Windows 10 coming.

Consider buying and installing Tuneup Utilities. It does a lot for keeping Windows clean, and has a turbo mode, which automatically (after you set it up ) runs a lean and mean Windows securing background programs.

UniDoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
Thailand
Consider buying and installing Tuneup Utilities. It does a lot for keeping Windows clean, and has a turbo mode, which automatically (after you set it up ) runs a lean and mean Windows securing background programs.

Thanks for the recommendation! I shall give it a try.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Out of curiosity, how did you set up your external partition? I've heard of two ways, one using a Thunderbolt enclosure (expensive) and the other involving first connecting the HDD internally, installing, and then moving it over to an enclosure (a bit of a pain that limits you to 2.5" drives). Has a better way been identified?

UniDoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
Thailand
Out of curiosity, how did you set up your external partition? I've heard of two ways, one using a Thunderbolt enclosure (expensive) and the other involving first connecting the HDD internally, installing, and then moving it over to an enclosure (a bit of a pain that limits you to 2.5" drives). Has a better way been identified?

I use VMware Fusion to install Windows 8.1 with Win2USB (had to create a EFI partition before also) on a USB 3 SSD. Well, that was quick, simple, and ran fine for about 4 months. Yes, practically most of the non-raid TB drives work, unfortunately most USB 3 drives don't work. If you can boot from it you can install on it.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I use VMware Fusion to install Windows 8.1 with Win2USB (had to create a EFI partition before also) on a USB 3 SSD. Well, that was quick, simple, and ran fine for about 4 months. Yes, practically most of the non-raid TB drives work, unfortunately most USB 3 drives don't work. If you can boot from it you can install on it.
Interesting, thanks for that. I don't have USB3 but may give it a shot with Parallels and a Firewire drive...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyone playing Ark:Survival Evolved? It's on Steam.

Sandbox, builder, Dino hunting/taming game. I saw some negative reviews from players they spent 20hours building a base just to log in later to find it trashed by other players. I heard that you can run your own server by invite and just wondering if any of you have experience with this? PVP vs PVE, server stability, hosting your own server, which is supposedly possible. It looks impressive. Thanks!

039746.jpg

Update: (June 2015) I found this review on YouTube. It's vulgar and hilarious. The high points- amazing potential and it should have never been released in its current optimization state.

Last edited:

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast
Is there a Steam group for this forum? If not we should set one up so we can easily play add each other and have some epic co-op fun and/or frag fests

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is there a Steam group for this forum? If not we should set one up so we can easily play add each other and have some epic co-op fun and/or frag fests

MacRumors Users- 550 members. For those not familiar, log into Steam, click on your user name, in the list pick out "groups", go there and search for... click on join.

Too bad Battlenet does not have a group structure... Does it? I've not noticed it, just friends you've designated.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbytomorow

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
MacRumors Users- 550 members. For those not familiar, log into Steam, click on your user name, in the list pick out "groups", go there and search for... click on join.

Too bad Battlenet does not have a group structure... Does it? I've not noticed it, just friends you've designated.

Oh, nice, I never knew about this Steam group. Joining!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
During a Midweek sale, I took a chance and purchased Anno 2070, I believe a Sim City type game on sale $10, for the next 37 hours. Anyone play(ed) this? Tell me something good! It was claimed it was award winning!

Anno_2070_DLC_Complete_Pack_Screen1.jpg

ARK:Survival Evolved anyone? I want someone to tell me how good this game is. :p

I will, it's great, the best sandbox game I've ever played! :D

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
During a Midweek sale, I took a chance and purchased Anno 2070, I believe a Sim City type game on sale $10, for the next 37 hours. Anyone play(ed) this? Tell me something good! It was claimed it was award winning!

I love the Anno games, but didn't grab this one when it launched and have still not bought it. I have heard really good things from fans of the series, and still have it on my wish list ... :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I love the Anno games, but didn't grab this one when it launched and have still not bought it. I have heard really good things from fans of the series, and still have it on my wish list ... :)

Thanks! I really like the variations in terrain. Some of those buildings look fantastic. I wonder if you have any control designing them or they just come out of the box premade? There are choices to make an eco or an industrial city. Naturally I would do an Eco city. The irony is that the high rise, highly compacted, but IMO undesirable sardine build is more efficient, with a smaller footprint, but not as pleasant, but actually more environmentally friendly versus a large sprawling city with suburbs. :confused:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyone know if Steam Cloud, ie all your Steam games now automatically save to the cloud? I assume games still save locally when Steam Cloud is active. Thanks!

Regarding games found on Steam, I'm currently playing

ARK: Survival Evolved- Sandbox, big thumbs up and MAC version!
Subnautica- Sandbox, big thumbs up and MAC version!! :)

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Anyone know if Steam Cloud, ie all your Steam games now automatically save to the cloud? I assume games still save locally when Steam Cloud is active. Thanks!

Regarding games found on Steam, I'm currently playing

ARK: Survival Evolved- Sandbox, big thumbs up and MAC version!
Subnautica- Sandbox, big thumbs up and MAC version!! :)

I think game progresses are stored in the cloud in some way or another. Not sure if all games on Steam do this though.

I purchased Skyrim 2 weeks ago, which I played on a El Cap partition. Then I installed Skyrim on my main boot volume (10.8.5), and all the "autosaves" were automatically downloaded. However, custom saves were not downloaded. That being said, I noticed games were still being saved locally on the computer as well.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.