Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
The first generation Wireless N Express was limited to 2.4 GHz to my knowledge. 5 GHz "simultaneous dual band" wireless was added with the second generation Express. The Extreme has been 5 GHz capable since the 2009 3rd generation Extreme.
Thanks for that info. Somewhere I got the impression the Gen1 could do 5GHz but that it had to be either/or, either 2.4 or 5 but it could not do both simultaneously like the Extreme. Maybe a reason to update to the 2nd Gen, but not an urgent need if the current system I have provides us with what we need.

Thanks again for all your help and information.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
AE, AEBS and U-verse DSL

Thanks for that info. Somewhere I got the impression the Gen1 could do 5GHz but that it had to be either/or, either 2.4 or 5 but it could not do both simultaneously like the Extreme. Maybe a reason to update to the 2nd Gen, but not an urgent need if the current system I have provides us with what we need.

Thanks again for all your help and information.

I would in all honesty roll with this set up until Apple either updates the Express or go with a different AP setup like Ubiquiti UniFi.

EDIT: The first generation Express is indeed capable of 5 GHz but is not simultaneous dual band. I apologize for the mis-information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.