Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carizma22

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Houston, TX
I could keep the stuff I want listen to on my iPhone. It has enough memory, but it my phone is a bit heavy for the gym and running etc. I don't have an iPod any more; mine belonged to my job and I left so they took it back. Mac Rumors buying guide says don't buy a Nano, presumably because it is so long since it was last updated. What would you guys recommend?

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
If you want it/need it now, get it.

What would a new nano offer that the current one doesn't?

In your case it's for the gym-the current one is a great solution. Why wait it out when you could be enjoying it now.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I doubt apple will update any of them in the near future.

Also consider the shuffle for gym or running, the clip makes it very useful.

carizma22

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Houston, TX
What I want to put on my iPod is lectures to listen to when I am on a plane, not just music for when I am working out. So a shuffle wouldn't work for me. I think it's going to have to be the 7th generation nano. Haven't seen a refurbished one though. Am baulking at the $150 price tag.

speedyraf

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
Apple's store (refurbished section) does carry refurb iPod nanos when available, so I suggest you might want to keep tabs on that area. I use Apple's refurb store widget for my choices and receive a daily e-mail as well.

carizma22

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Houston, TX
Apple's store (refurbished section) does carry refurb iPod nanos when available, so I suggest you might want to keep tabs on that area. I use Apple's refurb store widget for my choices and receive a daily e-mail as well.

Thanks. That was a great suggestion. I have dowloaded the widget and set up an alert. Apple shows that when they do have the refurbished nano, it is $99. Thats $50 less!

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I think the new nano is not good. If I was in your shoes, I would try to find a 4th generation, 5th generation, or 6th generation iPod Nano 16GB on ebay or some deal site in good condition.

Personally, my favorite generation with the clickwheel is the 4th generation. The 6th generation is also a very neat design, but not everyone loves it.

A quick survey of ebay shows you can get one in good shape for under $50.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What I want to put on my iPod is lectures to listen to when I am on a plane, not just music for when I am working out. So a shuffle wouldn't work for me. I think it's going to have to be the 7th generation nano. Haven't seen a refurbished one though. Am baulking at the $150 price tag.

If you are in a country without mad phone contracts, you go on eBay and buy an iPhone 4 or 4s. They go for cheap and are excellent iPods.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California

i have a nano (latest gen) and love it. i also have the ipod shuffle and ipod classic. i bought my nano from CL brand new for $100. you might want to check your local CL as better deal can be had there. the nano is a nice ipod and one thing i like about it is it has radio.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Mac Rumors buying guide says don't buy a Nano, presumably because it is so long since it was last updated. What would you guys recommend?

If you are just playing music, "updates" do not matter. They can all play music no matter the age.

I have ipods of all different styles and age and they do the exact same job. I even have them all set to the same playlists and stuff so it doesn't matter which one I actually use.

I personally would recommend something flash based as the access times on the spinners (ipod classic) can be annoying when trying to skip several songs.

carizma22

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Houston, TX
i have a nano (latest gen) and love it. i also have the ipod shuffle and ipod classic. i bought my nano from CL brand new for $100. you might want to check your local CL as better deal can be had there. the nano is a nice ipod and one thing i like about it is it has radio.

Thanks for the suggestion.
What is CL?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.