Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Very curious;

Is the iWatch waterproof or resistant ? Important for sports and workout activities.

Do you have to have an iPhone to tether off ? You can't just use the watch only with nothing else ?

Can you FaceTime on the watch without an iPhone also on you ?

If none of the above, then this iWatch is not the Dick Tracy watch I was expecting.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Very curious;

Is the iWatch waterproof or resistant ? Important for sports and workout activities.

Do you have to have an iPhone to tether off ? You can't just use the watch only with nothing else ?

If none of the above, then this iWatch is not the Dick Tracy watch I was expecting.

It has already been stated that the sport model will be water resistant not waterproof. Showering OK, swimming not OK.

An iPhone 5 or newer is required for many features as the :apple:Watch is dependent on the phone for many features such as GPS.

FaceTime without iPhone? Probably not.

So no, it is not the Dick Tracy watch you were expecting. Maybe version 3 or 4 might be, but not version 1.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Very curious;

1) As mentioned, water resistant, not water proof. And even though it's water resistant, I believe Apple recommends NOT showering with it on. Big miss by Apple, IMO.

2) Depends on what you consider 'use the watch'. It'll still tell time, the health tracker (i.e. steps) will still work and you'll be able to play back locally stored music. Otherwise, it would need a data connection, meaning it's own cell radio, sim card, etc. Only a couple devices do that now (Gear S and Neptune Pine come to mind, if it was actually ever released) and they're comparatively huge.

3) See answer to number 2. How would you expect to make that call if you don't have access to data?

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I think so!

No way! Seriously?! I really can't believe that on so many levels, the main one being; why on Earth would someone spending thousands on a watch then want a Disney character as the face?! And secondly, why did Apple think it was a good idea to keep Mickey for the gold watch??

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
No way! Seriously?! I really can't believe that on so many levels, the main one being; why on Earth would someone spending thousands on a watch then want a Disney character as the face?! And secondly, why did Apple think it was a good idea to keep Mickey for the gold watch??

There are expensive watches out there with Mickey faces, watches in the thousands of dollars price range. I was being facetious about the Mickey faces on the apple watch, but if it's true that would be very sad. I kind of doubt it though, I'm sure there will be an app for people to create their own watch faces with whatever graphics they like. If Apple locks the watch down and doesn't allow custom faces then they are utter morons.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Because it's a tribute or homage to other luxury brands that have released Mickey Mouse editions in the past.

The good thing about the Apple watch is it's got the potential to encourage people to learn about traditional watches too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.