Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Netkas was the one who actually made the exciting discovery that 3,1 had working BT 4.0 without any extra wires.

http://netkas.org/?p=1341

I had been playing around with Yosemite Beta on a 4,1 and was surprised as anyone when he discovered.

Kaspin

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2015
I got a BCM94360CD and adapter installed in my 3,1 Mac Pro, but when I try to connect my iPhone 6 plus via BT, it will pair up, but then just tells me my computer is not supported.

I've tested a BT Mouse and it works fine. and the Wi-Fi has no problem connecting to my network, so I'm sure the hardware is working.

Computer is running Yosemite 10.10.2 and the iPhone is iOS 8.1.3

Attachments

• IMG_0036.PNG
    IMG_0036.PNG
    144.2 KB · Views: 473
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 12.01.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 12.01.07 PM.png
    58 KB · Views: 478
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 12.03.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 12.03.51 PM.png
    120.7 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 1,111

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC
maybe the hive brain can help me

I got the kit from MacVidCards. An elegant solution which installs fairly easily, although the antenna leads are not the easiest to connect, as many people have noted.

Anyway, I tried it on my Early 2009 4,1 first, just as a test run. Finally got it installed, but it could not find any networks, let alone mine. I did endless troubleshooting - I have been through the wifi troubleshooting drill before, but nothing. The cards appeared in the system info and all functions read as they were supposed to, according to screen shots here and elsewhere. "handoff enabled," etc.

I have four drives in this machine, three of which are startup drives. The two Yosemite drives - nothing. On a whim, I booted into the Lion drive and all was well - the cards were working, wifi worked, networks appears. Hardware, apparently was fine. I then did a clean install of Lion on another drive and everything worked. I then upgraded to Yosemite on this clean install - virgin install - nothing else going on - and the same thing appeared - no networks visible, etc.

I reverted to the old cards and suddenly everything works again on all drives. I'm a little scared to try it in my 2012 5,1. It's a lot of time to install - which I don't mind if it all works out - and it's a LOT of downtime for me. I basically lost half a day installing, troubleshooting and reverting. Can anybody think of what could be the cause of this?

Thanks in advance.

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC
Nobody else has had any issues with these cards running 10.10.2? So far, that's the only thing I can pin it on, but it obviously can be something else.

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
Nobody else has had any issues with these cards running 10.10.2? So far, that's the only thing I can pin it on, but it obviously can be something else.

I got the shipped-from-China adapter that connects the card to USB via my USB 3.0 card and internal header, and it works fine. The wifi part is just PCI-e and works without any of the USB stuff hooked up; it's only required for Bluetooth. But anyway, the wifi part works fine with 10.10.2 for me, as well as 10.10.3 beta. Mine is a 4,1 flashed to 5,1

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC
Okay, latest update:

I got it functioning perfectly on my 2012 5,1. During the course of this, when I gently disconnected the antenna leads from the old card, the socket came off the old card, so there was no going back. Then, on top of that, the antenna lead didn't really stay on well - it must have bent or something. I eventually got it all to stay in place and it was fine after that.

I have to decide whether or not I want to go and deal with the 2009 4,1 again. It's so odd that it worked with a Lion startup disk, but not a Yosemite one.

As an FYI, these appear to be the proper matches for the leads and the card sockets:
J1 = 1
J2 = 3
J0 = 2
A3 = Bluetooth lead

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
It absolutely should NOT work in Lion, no mention in drivers.

Very odd.

Also, frequently when you bust of an antenna connector the broken piece stays in the antenae wire and you have to remove it with a pin or something. they are like tiny snaps like would be on a baby's clothes.

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC
It absolutely should NOT work in Lion, no mention in drivers.

Very odd.

Also, frequently when you bust of an antenna connector the broken piece stays in the antenae wire and you have to remove it with a pin or something. they are like tiny snaps like would be on a baby's clothes.

Okay, I just checked - that disk is 10.8.5, which would make it MOUNTAIN LION. Sorry about that. It's still odd that it works with that, that it shows up correctly under Yosemite, but the networks don't show up. I suspect it's something else. As I said, the other one works fine on Yosemite on all the startup drives in my 5,1 machine. Yes, I did have to take a bit of plastic or something out of the old connector. I'll keep you all posted if I try a Round 2 with the 4,1.

AIkatraz

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
Houston, TX
Today I've received those 2 items I bought from eBay a month ago:

NEW Mini PCI-E Adapter for BCM94360CD/BCM94331CD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390968179409 US $13.99

Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11ac mini WLAN+Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless card
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191029765954 US $23.99

Installed on my Mac Pro 1,1 (upgraded to 2,1). The Mac had original Apple Airport and Bluetooth cards installed on it. I've removed the Airport Antennas and connected them to new card 1 and 2 positions and the Bluetooth antenna to 3rd position of the new card. (as you see the card from the antenna connectors face, WiFi to J2 and J3, Bluetooth to J1)
Everything works fine!

The adapter includes 2 cables (as pictured on eBay's item description) in case you need them for Mac Pro 3,1 or newer model.

No reason to install a 4th antenna, the reception is great and everything works out of the box.

So, bottom line is: It's nice to have professional solutions from some users here, but in case you're sure of what you're doing, make a research and save much money to grab yourself a bergain from various eBay sellers. Takes a while for the items to arrive (in my case adapter came in 15 days and card in 30) but if you're patient, you win :)

I hope this helps some of you who might think an investment on this Yosemite feature don't worth $100+.

Take care.

Could you take a photo of it to show us.

----------

I just got mine (slow Australia Post) and installed it. The kit came well packed and with an instructions cd (one of those 8cm ones!) and generally looks good quality. Quite a fiddly job but mainly because space is tight and the 4 connectors are tiny.

All fitted up now though and bluetooth range seems a little better. Can't comment on WiFi since I use wired but it'll be useful at some stage. It had no WiFi fitted previously.

Could you take a photo of it please. Would like to see the connector & adapter setup. Thank you

AIkatraz

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
Houston, TX
I have the card , the adapter , the extra antenna extender , but Im missing the small plastic adapter that fits into the motherboard, does any one know where to get one ? what kind are they and I want to keep the original wire and card ( bluetooth) just in case , thanks

Here is the apple part number 922-8962

Sources:

http://www.macpartsdepot.com/index....c-pro-cable-bluetooth-to-backplane-board.html

I think I am just going to give it to my friend and 3D print it for me :p

This part, along with the following adapter and included wire (wire on the right) should pretty much solve the problem!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390968179409?afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

As VAGDesign mentioned

Total Cost: $13.99 (adapter/wires) + $23.99 (wifi/bt card)

AIkatraz

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
Houston, TX
No, the Mac Pro doesn't have a USB header like that in it that I've ever seen.
It might also help to indicate what Mac Pro you have...

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Mac Pro 4,1 (2009).

From what I understand Mac Pro 3,1 does not need any usb power VS. Mac Pro 4,1 + 5,1 (2009-2012)...hope am I correct from what I understood from the thread.

I wish someone knew the description/term of the BT usb port on the motherboard to help with the search for the plastic connector - for those of us who don't want to cut the wires on the original cable. All I've been able to gather is the apple part number, but nothing yet to describe that plastic 4-pin adapter that connects to the original BT usb port.

rdymond

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
Antenna connectors on Mini PCI X do not fit 2006 Mac Pro?

I recently bought a Broadcom BCM94360CD and realized upon trying to install that it was a different for factor :p. Fwiw Mini PCI X as a name for a Mini PCI express port form factor is really really stupid.

Anyway in looking closely at the antenna wires in the Mac Pro and attempting to fit the connectors to the Mini PCI X card, it is clear that they don't fit. Seems like anyone who installed this card with an mini to X adapter had to deal with this issue. However none of the adapter cards that use the airport socket include antenna adapters.

Has anyone else found a work around? The alternative is the full PCI to X adapters that have their own external antennas.

Thanks,
Robin.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I recently bought a Broadcom BCM94360CD and realized upon trying to install that it was a different for factor :p. Fwiw Mini PCI X as a name for a Mini PCI express port form factor is really really stupid.

Anyway in looking closely at the antenna wires in the Mac Pro and attempting to fit the connectors to the Mini PCI X card, it is clear that they don't fit. Seems like anyone who installed this card with an mini to X adapter had to deal with this issue. However none of the adapter cards that use the airport socket include antenna adapters.

Has anyone else found a work around? The alternative is the full PCI to X adapters that have their own external antennas.

Thanks,
Robin.

If the antenna wires don't fit, then you didn't get a 94360CD. You likely got a 94360CS or CSAX.

Even if there were antenna wire adapters, they would cost more than just buying the right card to begin with.

FWIW, there are lots of bad 94360CD cards on Ebay. I just returned 27 out of a lot of 30 I bought. They were all early release versions with parts that didn't end up getting used.

You will need to post some photos if you want more help.

rdymond

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
Here are pictures of the card. The model written on the card is BCM94360CD.
As you can see the card is tiny. The 4 antenna connectors on the card are really tiny, smaller then the antenna connectors in the 2006 mac pro.

Attachments

• wifiantenna.jpg
    wifiantenna.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 476
  • wifiantenna2.jpg
    wifiantenna2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 404

rdymond

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
As you can see the card is tiny. The 4 antenna connectors on the card are really tiny, smaller then the antenna connectors in the 2006 mac pro.

I was looking at the magnified circuit board and noticed that below the broadcom logo there is BCM94360CDAX

So the model printed on the front is different then the model printed on the circuit board :p :p

Last edited:

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008

Not sure what you are complaining about. Those are the standard sized antenna posts that fit the Mac Pro antenna leads.

They should fit just fine.

The card needs to be placed into the proprietary Apple connector to mini PCIe adapter board and plugged in. The 4 antennas should connect to it just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.