Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
OK, I have the MacPro booting OS-X Mavericks 10.9.5 (also 10.9.3) but I have one small problem.

My video card, a NVidia Quadro FX 4500, which has 512 MB or memory, is seen as having only 8 MB.

That means that I can't run Aperture with this machine, which is why I got it.

Any ideas, would be greatly appreciated.

Time for a new GPU.

No other fix.

sv1cec

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
I guess you are right. I'll be checking your site for a GT120, as soon as I have some cash to spend. Many thanks.

Cancaro

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
italy
info

sorry if disorder but can not find where to download the update to bring a 2008 MacPro 8 core 3.1 to 4.1 with EFI.
I was told that you can do but do not know how, sorry again.
thanks,

: Confuso:

johs1983

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
Mavericks 10.9.5 update

I have succesully installed the Mavericks 10.9.3 version on my Mac Pro 2.1 (flashed from 1.1) using SFOTT.

Now the problem occurs when I try to install the latest update to version 10.9.5 from the App Store or Apple homepage. Everybody seems to flawlessly be able to install this update, but for me it won't boot after updating.

How to fix this issue? Do I have to modify the boot .efi file? Or any suggestions?

10.9.3 works perfectly...

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
I have succesully installed the Mavericks 10.9.3 version on my Mac Pro 2.1 (flashed from 1.1) using SFOTT.

Now the problem occurs when I try to install the latest update to version 10.9.5 from the App Store or Apple homepage. Everybody seems to flawlessly be able to install this update, but for me it won't boot after updating.

How to fix this issue? Do I have to modify the boot .efi file? Or any suggestions?

10.9.3 works perfectly...

When you update to 10.9.5, boot again from SFOTT USB, go to Utils, Terminal, and type sfott to start it. From there repatch OS on Hard Drive where 10.9.5 is.

sul26

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2014
request for boot.efi for macbook air 1st gen (early 2008)

Hi tiamo,

would you please consider provisioning a boot.efi to support a MacBook Air 1,1 Early 2008? I tried the original boot.efi and it did not work for the above mentioned model.

Kindly consider as this would help many 1st gen. macbook air owners like myself.

Many thanks!

-sul.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Hi tiamo,

would you please consider provisioning a boot.efi to support a MacBook Air 1,1 Early 2008?l

If this computer doesn't work, it's because its graphic card is outdated. The boot.efi is absolutely OK, it's the hardware, sorry.
BTW, did you adjust the strings in supported machines lists accordingly? Did you add the proper motherboard number?

TheRealPorkchop

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Whiteville, NC
Well I've just spent the better part of today reading through this, whew…!

Ok, here's my problem and what I've done so far, any input greatly appreciated.

2006 Mac Pro 1,1 - firmware flashed both ways - 1,1 & 2,1 - I've tried both ways. 16gb of RAM (shows all 16, no problem). 7300GT video card, I know that is a problem and yes, I do plan to replace it once I figure the rest of my problems out.

I tried like most everyone else in these 61 pages, SFOTT failed every which way I tried for 25 tries… finally I got one almost complete install to USB, right at the very end I got the message there was an error. From my Hackintosh days, I knew that just because it got to the end and said there was an install error, didn't really mean an error completely. That error install, booted and installed. But I had to do it from my Macbook Pro, to one of the internal HD's for my Pro with a USB adapter.

Second attempt - just decided to do a stone stock vanilla install on the same hard drive from the Macbook Pro and slap that into my Pro. Booted from my original 10.7.5 install, ran the SFOTT and repatched that install, it worked too.

Why did I do it twice…? Both attempts (finally) were/are successful but the problem is if I update Safari and/or iTunes (and only these two so far) I loose bluetooth connection for my magic mouse and keyboard. Reboot… nothing. Redo the install, all works fine… update anything at all… boots to desktop but you have no keyboard or mouse. I've tried plugging an original Apple keyboard and mouse into the front USB ports, same thing.

I've backed up my install so I have two booting Mavericks installs, so when I screw one up I can just image it back and not go through all that other stuff. I know I need to replace that video card, that it's not supported but I don't see why an update to iTunes or Safari through the app store would cause such an issue. There is a security update showing, did that the first time and figured that was the culprit but no… redid the install and same issue when updating only to Safari.

Oh also… back on page 16 I think, someone wrote up a guide and said it was "simple"… not so. No matter what I've done, what I've typed into Terminal, that locked boot.efi file, you can't overwrite that. That Distribution file, can NOT replace that file. I can only achieve a working install by using SFOTT on a vanilla install.

Forgot, I got my Mavericks install straight out the App Store. It seems to be 10.9.5 also. I, like so many others, don't want Yosemite cause I hate those icons and colors. My brand new Mini has it, don't really like it and my Macbook Pro was on Mavericks but I messed up and updated that, probably switch it back.

Last edited:

RX2904

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2014
Warning!

After installing 10.10.2 update I can't boot my Mac Pro 2,1 anymore! Anyone else got this problem?

paulanthony

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2015
STUCK…cannot remove boot.efi from installer

I've tried several commands in terminal (sudo chflags nouchg)and have read and reread threads. Have tried on two different computers.

Still can't remove the original boot.efi from my Mavericks install package (I've tried mountain lion too).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

yusa28

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2015
Help please. Mac Pro 1.1 with YOSEMITE 10.10

I´m on YOSEMITE finally, my system:

YOSEMITE 10.10 (14A389)

Mac Pro 1.1
Processor: 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 16 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Startup Disk: Yosemite SSD HD (SSD 240 kingston)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 210 1024 MB

Everything works GREAT !
But I can’t make software update to YOSEMITE 10.10.2 because doesn't boot any more. Any idea ? Help ? how can fix the boot ? Ej. Booting from another internal HD - With Mavericks and apply a script or a patch ???
Thank you.

GORILLA

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2004
U.S.A.
Hi. I've searched but I probably used wrong search words.

I used hackerwaynes thread and upgraded my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 to a 2,1 and Mavericks 10.9.2

My question is can I update it to Mavericks 10.9.5?

I use carbon copy cloner and have a backup of my O.S. I just never started up from it.

Thanks guys

Also will my Mac Pro run this card? SAPPHIRE, the HD 7950 Mac Edition

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
There is NO REASON to use any of Hackerwayne's goobldeygook on a Mac Pro.

You can choose which GPU you have, so just use the Tiamo method and stop wasting time.

It's too bad this little piece of sanity gets buried so often.

When he first appeared on the scene I PM'd him trying to help out.

It became very clear that he didn't have a clue what he was talking about but unfortunately believed his own PR and had the supreme sense of success that youth gives. I admired his energy but knew he didn't really have any answers, just a lucky guess here and there.

Tiamo fix is the answer.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
My heartfelt thanks to Tiamo for his pioneering efforts that help keep my 2007 2,1 Mac Pro up to date.

I have had a seamless update from 10.9.0 ~ 10.9.5 with absolutely no issues so far. 10.9.5 is as snappy as 10.6.8 with my OOTB MSI R5770 1 Gig GPU.

Dode

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2015
Just wondering if the security update 2015-002 is ok for a Tiamo's Mac Pro 1,1 under Mavericks 10.9.5? No need to repatch afterward?
Thanks, and thanks again for the great work Tiamo !

flang

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
MacPro1,1

can I use this idea to get Mavs on a 1,1 or is there a different thread for that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.