Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
As much as I absolutely hate battery life threads, unfortunately I am posting one.
I got my iPhone 5c in March last year. The first few weeks were great battery life (7 hours, 8 hours usage on a great day) but recently my battery has been pretty bad.
I've just thought that it's because I use my phone a lot and it's getting to be an older phone at this point.
I have background app refresh off, location services off, no mail accounts, contacts and calendars set to fetch data manually. I have auto brightness on, Bluetooth off 90% of the time, wifi on when I'm using it and I turn wifi off when I'm not connected to a wifi network if I remember. And I have service 99% of the time.
And I'm getting maximum 3 hours battery life. 3 hours is a good day.
I'm wondering if my battery is plagued by the same issues that the iphone 5 was having?
I don't get how home and lock screen uses such a big portion... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426951117.107734.jpg
This is really annoying me. This battery life is worse than I was getting on my iphone 4. I shouldn't be getting this battery life when im just out of the warranty period. I'm pretty sure if I took my phone to the Apple Store they would just tell me it's normal.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Are you sure one one of the apps is not draining it? that battery life is not good, something is wrong. Have you tried restoring it?

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Are you sure one one of the apps is not draining it? that battery life is not good, something is wrong. Have you tried restoring it?

I have not tried restoring it. I don't really want to because It's set up perfectly for me now. I have a lot of stuff I don't want to lose...

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I have not tried restoring it. I don't really want to because It's set up perfectly for me now. I have a lot of stuff I don't want to lose...

Does the phone get warm?

Also check your notifications and only turn on the ones you need

I would also close any apps you are not using.

Try that.

gmintz09

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
I would certainly look into it! I suppose it's possible. That's exactly the kind of behavior my iPhone 5 had before the battery went kaput. I used to get probably 5-6 hours of usage normally but then I could barely get 2-3 after about a year. And like the poster above me, I also experienced premature shutdowns at random intervals, usually anywhere from 10%-40%. I checked my serial number and it was in fact part of the defective units. However, by the time they issued that program, I'd already invested in a Mophie case to counteract the issue and was getting a 6+ a few months later, so I never sent it in to get the battery replaced.

Last edited:

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Do a backup and then restore - it's a little time consuming, but you won't lose anything and I find that sometimes it can help issues like this.

Do you ever find the phone shuts off at ~15%? That's what my defective iPhone 5 used to do.

Phone shuts off at around 2-3% normal percentage.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I hit quick test and it said it sent info to Apple then gave me a link about sending the device into Apple.
Will a genius still look at it even if it's out of warranty?

Did it say that it recommended a battery replacement? If so, you can definitely get it looked at and fixed, I think a battery replacement is $79.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Did it say that it recommended a battery replacement? If so, you can definitely get it looked at and fixed, I think a battery replacement is $79.

Yes, it did. I'm not willing to pay $79 dollars though. It's not worth it to put any money into a 5c now. A new phone would be a better option for me.
I guess I can only hope there's a defect and eventually there's a recall on them.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
If you have a Mac you can try plugging it in and running the new version of Coconut Battery. My iPhone 5 battery still has something like 85% of its original capacity. I've also attached a screenshot of my usage from today. Since your 5c is newer you should be getting better battery life than I do unless your apps are far more resource heavy than mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 109

Traxinv

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Its hangouts. That app is constantly polling gps position and other nonsense. Uninstall it and see...

natandste

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2015
Have u gone into notifications and turned each one off? That killed my battery on all my devices

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Do a backup and then restore - it's a little time consuming, but you won't lose anything and I find that sometimes it can help issues like this.

Do you ever find the phone shuts off at ~15%? That's what my defective iPhone 5 used to do.

This. So many problems are fixed by doing this. I can't tell you how many times I've helped people fix problems by doing this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.