Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mohaukachi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2003
los angeles
Hey this might be an insanely dumb idea, but I just bought and installed this:

StarTech.com 2 Port PCI Express SATA 6 Gbps eSATA Controller Card

In addition to the 2 eSATA out the back, it has 2 SATA ports inside. I'm guessing I can plug something like a Samsung 850 PRO into this, but is there any advantage to this versus the intended mounting with the drive slots? Speed boost at least? As for the downfalls, I bet this would not be a bootable solution.

Thoughts?

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
since the internal S-ATA ports are 3 Gb/Sec only you would get twice the speed (approx 500 MB/Sec instead of only 250 MB/Sec).

mohaukachi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2003
los angeles
I did see this, however I needed eSATA ports (to stretch the life on my old gRaid drives). Great suggestion though! I've been looking at the other PCIe card that thats the blade ssds, but even that I put a pin in to wait for the SSBUX drives to stabilize in price.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Hey this might be an insanely dumb idea, but I just bought and installed this:

StarTech.com 2 Port PCI Express SATA 6 Gbps eSATA Controller Card

In addition to the 2 eSATA out the back, it has 2 SATA ports inside. I'm guessing I can plug something like a Samsung 850 PRO into this, but is there any advantage to this versus the intended mounting with the drive slots? Speed boost at least? As for the downfalls, I bet this would not be a bootable solution.

Thoughts?

Looks like Asmedia chip, don't buy it if it is. This one is PCIe x1 and it will be maxed out ~350MB/s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.