Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
But Apple doesn't spend millions to manufacture their own cases that are going to sell for $200-500 like the watch straps, either. That's a big difference.

The US patents are open to the public.
There is no issue with making a watch band as long as it isn't identical to apples. This adapter and 3rd party watch bands are fine.

With Apple charging $499 for a ss link band, I'm sure there will be 3rd party options. Nothing on that band justifies the cost, it's not like the Milanese or the modern band where they have unique tech.

To be honest Apple made a mistake on the pricing of the bands. The watch is high, but not unexpected. They will make cash as always but the sales numbers will be lowered charging 150, 250 and 500 on bands. (Not referring to gold).
They'll be on top, no doubt but one big difference is that the iPhone, that is one of apples largest incomes is subsidized with the phone carriers. This is not. It changes the target market. Just simple facts.

Anyhow Im rambling.

3rd party bands in the long run will help sell more watches, people can spend only 350-600 and still be happy.
If they stop that they will lose sales.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
The US patents are open to the public.
There is no issue with making a watch band as long as it isn't identical to apples. This adapter and 3rd party watch bands are fine.

With Apple charging $499 for a ss link band, I'm sure there will be 3rd party options. Nothing on that band justifies the cost, it's not like the Milanese or the modern band where they have unique tech.

To be honest Apple made a mistake on the pricing of the bands. The watch is high, but not unexpected. They will make cash as always but the sales numbers will be lowered charging 150, 250 and 500 on bands. (Not referring to gold).
They'll be on top, no doubt but one big difference is that the iPhone, that is one of apples largest incomes is subsidized with the phone carriers. This is not. It changes the target market. Just simple facts.

Anyhow Im rambling.

3rd party bands in the long run will help sell more watches, people can spend only 350-600 and still be happy.
If they stop that they will lose sales.

Apple is following traditional watch manufacturers leads with the pricing. Link bracelets are always the most expensive option (if there are even "options") on high end watches. They have more parts, therefore require more time to make and assemble. More parts + more time = more money.

The Milanese band is nothing more than a stainless mesh bracelet with what appears to be a magnet to hold it closed. Steel mesh bracelets are typically cheaper than all-stainless link style bracelets.

Last edited:

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
Apple is following traditional watch manufacturers leads with the pricing. Link bracelets are always the most expensive option (if there are even "options") on high end watches. They have more parts, therefore require more time to make and assemble. More parts + more time = more money.

The Milanese band is nothing more than a stainless mesh bracelet with what appears to be a magnet to hold it closed. Steel mesh bracelets are typically much cheaper than all stainless bracelets.

I did look up ss link watch bands before I wrote. Most are under 100. Smaller numbers charge more, 200-300. 500 is too much. You can fork out that much for a watch band, in my opinion based on what I've seen its not worth it.

http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-h689-St-Steel-Watch-Bands.html

https://www.google.com/search?q="st..."stainless+steel"+"watch+band"&hl=en&tbm=shop

I looked up more when apple announced the pricing. I went to a few jewler web sites and again saw the same. I encourage you to do the same if u like.

500 is too much. We can agree to disagree. I've been poking around at this for a while. I'll wait for the 3rd party ands for the ss link.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I did look up ss link watch bands before I wrote. Most are under 100. Smaller numbers charge more, 200-300. 500 is too much. You can fork out that much for a watch band, in my opinion based on what I've seen its not worth it.

http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-h689-St-Steel-Watch-Bands.html

https://www.google.com/search?q="st..."stainless+steel"+"watch+band"&hl=en&tbm=shop

I looked up more when apple announced the pricing. I went to a few jewler web sites and again saw the same. I encourage you to do the same if u like.

500 is too much. We can agree to disagree. I've been poking around at this for a while. I'll wait for the 3rd party ands for the ss link.

I'm not talking about cheap watch bands. I'm talking about ones available through name brand watch manufacturers. Remember, Apple is trying to position themselves as a luxury watch manufacturer just as much as they are an electronic device maker. To those of us used to paying much for watches, the Apple bracelets/straps are actually decently priced, if made as well as Apple advertises them to be. I wish I could get an OEM link bracelet for any of my watches for $500.

Also, to back up my opinion that I stated earlier that I think Apple will proactively protect their patents on the Apple watch, they do have a "design patent" on the Band itself. The drawings do show the attachment method to the Watch head.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/D724469.pdf

This patent was only issued/published 3 days ago (March 17th, 2015). The Kickstarter campaigns were all started before this, I believe. I personally think the strap adapter makers could be on shaky ground.

Last edited:

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
I'm not talking about cheap watch bands. I'm talking about ones available through name brand watch manufacturers. Remember, Apple is trying to position themselves as a luxury watch manufacturer just as much as they are an electronic device maker. To those of us used to paying much for watches, the Apple bracelets/straps are actually decently priced, if made as well as Apple advertises them to be. I wish I could get an OEM link bracelet for any of my watches for $500.

Even the Swiss stainless steel bands cost under 200. Stainless steel is not a precious metal. I've looked up several jewlers. By all means do the same if u like. Regardless based on what I have seen, it's not worth 500. We can disagree.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Even the Swiss stainless steel bands cost under 200. Stainless steel is not a precious metal. I've looked up several jewlers. By all means do the same if u like. Regardless based on what I have seen, it's not worth 500. We can disagree.

Ok, look up a stainless bracelet for an Omega. Look up the bracelet and Glidelock clasp for the Rolex Submariner I'm wearing right now (I'll help you, the clasp alone is $1100, the clasp and bracelet assembly is $2300). Look up a bracelet on Rolexes "value" brand Tudor (link bracelet is $850, leather strap and clasp is approx $480 together). Look up the leather strap and deployant clasp assembly for an Omega Aqua Terra (leather strap is $200, deployant clasp for leather is $300). I know those, because I own all of those and have priced all the parts to either buy extras, or change the look of my watch. Heck, let's go "cheap" Swiss watch and mention TAG Heuer, a company Apple is positioning themselves directly against with the pricing of their stainless Apple watch. A TAG Heuer replacement link style bracelet is in the $300-600 range, depending on model.

Again, I'm not talking generic bands or straps. I CAN buy a $30 leather 20mm strap for any of my watches...doesn't mean I will or would. I'm talking about ones made by the OEM watch manufacturers. That what Apple is positioning themselves as in all of this.

Last edited:

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
Ok, look up a stainless bracelet for an Omega. Look up the bracelet and Glidelock clasp for the Rolex Submariner I'm wearing right now (I'll help you, the clasp alone is $1100, the clasp and bracelet assembly is $2300). Look up a bracelet on Rolexes "value" brand Tudor (link bracelet is $850, leather strap and clasp is approx $480 together). Look up the leather strap and deployant clasp assembly for an Omega Aqua Terra (leather strap is $200, deployant clasp for leather is $300). I know those, because I own all of those and have priced all the parts to either buy extras, or change the look of my watch. Heck, let's go "cheap" Swiss watch and mention TAG Heuer, a company Apple is positioning themselves directly against with the pricing of their stainless Apple watch. A TAG Heuer replacement link style bracelet is in the $300-600 range, depending on model.

Again, I'm not talking generic bands or straps. I CAN buy a $30 leather 20mm strap for any of my watches...doesn't mean I will or would. I'm talking about ones made by the OEM watch manufacturers. That what Apple is positioning themselves as in all of this.

Point made however I was looking at watches like Swiss and in the similar price bracket as Apple watch. Tag qualifies however Rolex really doesn't. Rolex is heirloom material, passed down father to son and in a price category of its own.
Apple watch is new and as much as I like Apple I still do not see a ss band, Rolex, tag or apple as justified. *shrug* I'm sorry but this is a 1st gen tech watch. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, I just honestly find that the band is over priced.

enblue

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2015
Germany
Dont agree

Why would you go with a crowd funding site? Real brands will be releasing these too and they'll be available MONTHS before the crowd funding options.

Keep this in mind, more than 80% of Kickstarter projects that are funded are delivered late. A large percentage of those are never delivered at all.

Why must you jump in it now? You know why real brands haven't announced anything? Because just like the crowd funding sites they have to wait until it's actually released to see how they can build something that works. But once they can the real brands will be able to release a final product MUCH faster. It'll likely be weeks or a month or two max. Chances are the quality will be far better too than crowd funding options.

We are doing a crowdfunding for our Apple Watch dock right now and I can tell you we will deliver on time. However, every brand started small as well, so you never know, may be we will be the next Belkin tomorrow.But if you are becoming bigger and bigger, new product development will take a very long time, months, years, not weeks. You also will loose your flexibility which is an advantage for smaller guys. Please give them all a chance and support these inventors (us as well, of course..:))

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Thunderbolt is much faster than USB, yet there's still quite a lot of adapters.
Why ? Well, because there's a lot of USB devices, and they're much cheaper.
It's exactly the same here

Agreed. And like cables and things, the third party vendors will be making bands in droves...

I don't give it a month from now till the first knock off bands are up for sale, if they aren't already out there somewhere.

FiveBelow will be flooded with cheap bands in a year

Saucesome2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
Millions and millions. And you, eventually.

Haha, thank you. That was awesome. :)

----------

Why would you go with a crowd funding site? Real brands will be releasing these too and they'll be available MONTHS before the crowd funding options.

Keep this in mind, more than 80% of Kickstarter projects that are funded are delivered late. A large percentage of those are never delivered at all.

Why must you jump in it now? You know why real brands haven't announced anything? Because just like the crowd funding sites they have to wait until it's actually released to see how they can build something that works. But once they can the real brands will be able to release a final product MUCH faster. It'll likely be weeks or a month or two max. Chances are the quality will be far better too than crowd funding options.

As long as there is more competition and maybe some unexpected ingenuity, I'm supportive of anyone bringing forth ideas. Some will be good, some will be bad.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
We are doing a crowdfunding for our Apple Watch dock right now and I can tell you we will deliver on time. However, every brand started small as well, so you never know, may be we will be the next Belkin tomorrow.But if you are becoming bigger and bigger, new product development will take a very long time, months, years, not weeks. You also will loose your flexibility which is an advantage for smaller guys. Please give them all a chance and support these inventors (us as well, of course..:))

The issue is that those using Crowdfunding generally have little knowledge of what it actually takes to bring a product to market. They end up skipping steps or get caught up trying to figure them out. This is why most successful businesses go to someone that has experience in it. They show them how to prototype, test, find a manufacturer, and more. This is why going to standard route is far more successful, because the products are generally higher quality and they're usually able to scale to demand far easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.