Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
I was looking into the new seagate personal cloud for having a nice cloud of my own that travels with me but reviews are less than favorable.

Basically I got a iMac, mba, 2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 1 ipt 5th gen, and 2 Apple tvs at home. Got Verizon fios internet. I'd like to be able to share/backup content in a centralized location. also when I'm traveling to be able to playback media and backup photos/videos would be nice.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
That will certainly do the trick, but people have said that the WD myCloud does the same, only quicker.
Another option is Tonido if you have a PC or a Mac on all the time.
This give you access to your PC's shared folders etc.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Our Corsair Voyager Air does this nicely, has a battery inside to its portable as portable gets. It is designed for iPhone use (augment its internal memory), but also works nicely as cloud storage. No need for an internet connection as you roam.

If you want to leave the media at home and access it anywhere, you need to think about setting up a server for best results.

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice this was a March thread.....

Last edited:

zettabyte

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
Hey there,

I've researched a ton on this before setting up my Cloud and I must say, at the end of the day the scales are all tipped in favor of WD MyCloud. I have the WD My Cloud 24TB DL4100 Series w/ the Red Drives in them and it works wonders. Like "rctlr" had mentioned, it is much quicker. My office has a Seagate Cloud so I have daily experience with both.

Note: If you're going with WD, I would recommend skipping the lower base line series all together. (The ones with the white cases.) If you''re able to afford it, start with the EX2100, EX4100 Series and up...which next are the DL2100 and DL4100. It's well worth it.

Good luck!

Cheers...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.