Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madboylk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2014
i'm going to buy a used iPhone 5s,owner says to me its Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in USA model,he gave me a serial no also,then i checked in apple site heres the result.
i want to know its original iPhone or fake one?

thank you.

Attachments

• Apple   Support   Check Your Service and Support Coverage.png
    Apple Support Check Your Service and Support Coverage.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 3,602

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
I can not say for sure. I know the Mac Pro has started being assembled in the USA, but don't think the iPhone has.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
iphoneimei.info shows that it was originally purchased in Hong Kong. Swappa iMEI checker shows that it is blacklisted, blocked, and reported lost or stolen. I think the seller is giving you wrong information.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Then how serial and imei accept by apple site?

----------

Then why Apple site say its valid?

He probably gave you the IMEI/serial from a legit phone.

Ask him for a pic (not a screenshot ) of the phone he is selling showing the IMEI under settings >general >about. If he won't do that then walk away.

Last edited:

madboylk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2014

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England

This is a fake iPhone and I'll tell you how I know.

Apple has never shown a perfect 16GB Captivity, never. This is the first red flag. A real iPhone 5s should have a captivity of 12.2GB, more or less depending on the OS it is running.

second, the iPhone has never been assembled in the USA. Another red flag

third, this crap phone isn't even running iOS. It looks like a crappy android clone.

Do yourself a favor and run.

madboylk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2014
This is a fake iPhone and I'll tell you how I know.

Apple has never shown a perfect 16GB Captivity, never. This is the first red flag. A real iPhone 5s should have a captivity of 12.2GB, more or less depending on the OS it is running.

second, the iPhone has never been assembled in the USA. Another red flag

third, this crap phone isn't even running iOS. It looks like a crappy android clone.

Do yourself a favor and run.

thanks,problem solved,thanks all,its fake one :)

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
On a side note, I just checked my IMEI via swappa and it says my IMEI is blocked by at least one carrier and is available for activation lol. Not sure I would trust their IMEI checker in the future if I was actually gonna check something I was gonna consider buying. My phone was purchased brand new from Apple in store and only activated by me on my account and I'm still using it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.