Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodywoodz

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
NewYork
If you are an iPhone 6 owner, I guess you must know how wonderful it is to watch videos on the bigger screen of iPhone 6, right? But, iPhone 6 (Plus) only can play MP4 video (MPEG4 or H264 codec), which usually makes us frustrated. So, it seems impossible to play other videos like AVI, MKV, AVCHD files on iPhone 6. Fortunately, I found a simple solution to convert video to iPhone 6/Plus compatible format for playback and I'd like to share it with you all :)

What I use is a video converter app called MacX Video Converter. It is versed in converting any video formats, such as SD videos in MOV, WMV, FLV, WebM, or HD videos in AVCHD, MTS, MKV to iPhone 6 and many other devices. Both the converting speed and output video quality astonish me greatly.

Four steps to Convert and Watch AVI Video on iPhone 6/Plus
Step 1: Add AVI videos by clicking "Add Video" icon.
Step 2: After video is loaded, the Output Profile dialog box pops up. Select Apple Device and click "to iPhone Video" and then choose an appropriate format for iPhone 6.
Step 3: Click Browse to set Destination Folder for saving converted video.
Step 4: Hit the "RUN" button to start AVI to iPhone 6 conversion.

Besides the powerful video converting ability, this video convert program also can help you download video, make photos into a dynamic slideshow, trim/cut/merge video and add subtitles to video easily.

Of course, there are many other video converter apps like Handbrake we can count on. You can try and make a better decision :)

Last edited:

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
I thought AVI was supported on iPhones? Granted it's very picky about the type of AVI files though I doubt anyone has AVI files in HD.
Taken straight from the site:
Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

woodywoodz

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
NewYork
I tried to play the AVI files on iphone directly, but failed. So I searched online and found the solution. VLC or handbrake can also handle the problem I think. :D

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Exactly. Or use an app like Airdisk. Or convert with Handbrake to an iOS compatible format like m4v, mov or MP4.

The joys of Apple. Restricting the use of mkv, avi and a slew of other common video formats.

My Mac wont play mkv's without third party software either. Neither did my previous windows PC.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I use Infuse app on my iPhone for all my movies. So far I have yet to come across any file format that doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.