Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Does anybody know about this Core M processor strength? I am looking to do very light Photoshop work on the roas and wonder if the rMB would be acceptable to do it.
Yes, I understand the rMBP would be the ideal choice on a laptop but because I will only use this laptop sporadically, I would like to get something small, light and easy to carry around.
I have a MacPro 12 core for major work on my studio so, the laptop for me would be for a quick revision and small update to any photoshop file while on the road.

Thanks for any input.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
It'll be fine for running Photoshop. If you're batch processing heaps of RAW files day in day out then obviously it'll struggle, but for goodness' sake it'll not have a problem doing a bit of editing...

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Assuming you can live with the crapy screen real estate.

If you process a few photo at a time and don't expect to use mega-sized brushes and many complex filters you should be fine. PS is mostly RAM + Diskspeed and the MB has enough of both. :)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It's a little light on screen real estate as has been mentioned. Ram is probably the most important thing for photoshop. Beyond that don't set the amount directly available to photoshop too high as it will cause needless paging by the OS.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Does anybody know about this Core M processor strength? I am looking to do very light Photoshop work on the roas and wonder if the rMB would be acceptable to do it.
Yes, I understand the rMBP would be the ideal choice on a laptop but because I will only use this laptop sporadically, I would like to get something small, light and easy to carry around.
I have a MacPro 12 core for major work on my studio so, the laptop for me would be for a quick revision and small update to any photoshop file while on the road.

Thanks for any input.

Since when did a 3.48 pound rMBP 13 become some behemoth that breaks peoples backs or arms to lug around? lol, this forum is pure comedy sometimes. Get the rMBP. I couldn't imagine trying to edit on a 12 inch display. The larger display and better CPU/GPU will make a difference. If it were a $300 price jump, it would be a consideration. At the same price point, the rMBP is a no brainer.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
It'll be fine for running Photoshop. If you're batch processing heaps of RAW files day in day out then obviously it'll struggle, but for goodness' sake it'll not have a problem doing a bit of editing...

I won't do batch processing. Mostly will be editing PS with quite a bit of layers.

Assuming you can live with the crapy screen real estate.

If you process a few photo at a time and don't expect to use mega-sized brushes and many complex filters you should be fine. PS is mostly RAM + Diskspeed and the MB has enough of both. :)

Yes the screen is small but for the most part I will attach to an external TB display.

Since when did a 3.48 pound rMBP 13 become some behemoth that breaks peoples backs or arms to lug around? lol, this forum is pure comedy sometimes. Get the rMBP. I couldn't imagine trying to edit on a 12 inch display. The larger display and better CPU/GPU will make a difference. If it were a $300 price jump, it would be a consideration. At the same price point. the rMBP is a no brainer.

The 13" rMBP is not big at all, but I do like the smaller footprint of the 12". Like I said, the PS work will be a occasional one, for the most part I will be using Safari, Mail and Word on it. I am a graphic designer but 95% of my time I work out of my studio. This laptop will be for the times I need to do a quick fix or emergency work while on the road. I would never consider it as my main machine. I have a Mac Pro for that. I just want to avoid going the rMBP route since I will not use it so often for design work and it is a more expensive machine for my needs. Rather save that money and apply to a MacPro.

Thanks for the replies!

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Since when did a 3.48 pound rMBP 13 become some behemoth that breaks peoples backs or arms to lug around? lol, this forum is pure comedy sometimes. Get the rMBP. I couldn't imagine trying to edit on a 12 inch display. The larger display and better CPU/GPU will make a difference. If it were a $300 price jump, it would be a consideration. At the same price point, the rMBP is a no brainer.

Most people here think there is a big advantage of a 2lb computer vs a 3.5lb computer. We don't feel the same way about the weight as you do.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
The 13" rMBP is not big at all, but I do like the smaller footprint of the 12". Like I said, the PS work will be a occasional one, for the most part I will be using Safari, Mail and Word on it. I am a graphic designer but 95% of my time I work out of my studio. This laptop will be for the times I need to do a quick fix or emergency work while on the road. I would never consider it as my main machine. I have a Mac Pro for that. I just want to avoid going the rMBP route since I will not use it so often for design work and it is a more expensive machine for my needs. Rather save that money and apply to a MacPro.

Thanks for the replies!

Huh? The new Macbook and the rMBP 13 are both $1299. Id rather pay the same price and have a little heavier laptop with more power than I might need just in case. Would hate to be on the road and need something for a client and have to deal with an underpowered laptop. If it were just for fun, get what you like. As a working professional, you should have worthy backup equipment.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Huh? The new Macbook and the rMBP 13 are both $1299

Yes, but again I rather have the smaller footprint of the 12".
It is a coin toss for me at this point. I will make the final decision once the 12 is at stores and I can see side by side.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Yes, but again I rather have the smaller footprint of the 12".
It is a coin toss for me at this point. I will make the final decision once the 12 is at stores and I can see side by side.

Only you can decide if that awful, back breaking 1.4 pounds and an extra inch or two here and there is worth it to have something with an inferior CPU/GPU. Id figure a professional graphics designer would prefer the better internals in case they are ever needed. I know I do.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Only you can decide if that awful, back breaking 1.4 pounds and an extra inch or two here and there is worth it to have something with an inferior CPU/GPU. Id figure a professional graphics designer would prefer the better internals in case they are ever needed. I know I do.

Sure you make a good point. That's why I am on the fence. I might very well end up with the rMBP. My wife has the 13" and it is a nice one. I really like the MBAir 11" size to lug around and that's why I am curious to see the 12".

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Since the Core M is on the same level as low/mid end processors from 2012/2013 it should be fine. Photoshop runs on 2009 machines with acceptable performance. The 8GB of RAM standard is necessary and was a pleasant surprise.

----------

While 3.5 pounds isn't that heavy, it is a noticeably heavier than a 2 pound system. If the OP can manage on the Core M and wants the lightest notebook Apple offers then the 13" rMBP isn't the best fit for them

valleydesign

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Minor Ps work will run just fine. If you need to do some heavy lifting, it's going to take a little longer than you'd like, but it will get the job done.

So... Will the convenience of extreme portability outweigh the inconvenience of a slower machine over time?

Personally, I plan on traveling much more than I plan on having to get work done with this, while I travel. And when I do have to work OOO, it will be minor Ps and Id tweaks. So for me, the 12" makes sense.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
While 3.5 pounds isn't that heavy, it is a noticeably heavier than a 2 pound system. If the OP can manage on the Core M and wants the lightest notebook Apple offers then the 13" rMBP isn't the best fit for them

Isn't THAT heavy? 3.5 pounds is still one of the lightest 13 inch laptops available. You have to get into Ultrabooks to get lighter really. Apple fans are just far too spoiled :)

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013

Thanks for any input.

I did all my RAW image processing on my BASE MODEL 2013 macbook air and it was shocking how smooth and fast it was. My desktop is a i2700K with 16GB of RAM and Samsung Pro 840 SSD and the macbook air from 2013 felt just as fast... I was shocked. Since the New Macbook will have 8GB of RAM double what mine had, and a CPU that will be between 5-10% faster at the same clock speed you should have ZERO issues. (FYI the stock macbook air from 2013 used a 1.3GHz CPU which is the same clock speed as the highest CPU apple will offer with the MACBOOK... Intel says between 5-10% speed advantage at the same clock speed which is nice) That being said I would get the 1.3GHz model.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My issue with the 12" MB and photoshop is two fold, first is screen real estate, a 12" display is touch to do any work on. Secondly is the processor, I think the performance will be inferior to that of the more hefty MBPs

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should :)

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
There is also a difference of what "lower performance" gives you in different areas of computing.

If an optimal computer does something in PS in 6 seconds and you get a really slow computer it may take 60 seconds instead. Will you die of waiting those 54 seconds? Probably not, you will get the same result, just a little slower.

It´s not like gaming where 1/10 of the performance will make the game unusable and look like a slow powerpoint presentation..

If you like the MB form factor more than the MBPr then go for it, all you lose is a few minutes of your time here and there.

..And if the time is billable then why not? :p

whitechapel

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
Huh? The new Macbook and the rMBP 13 are both $1299. Id rather pay the same price and have a little heavier laptop with more power than I might need just in case. Would hate to be on the road and need something for a client and have to deal with an underpowered laptop. If it were just for fun, get what you like. As a working professional, you should have worthy backup equipment.

rMBP costs more if you choose the same SSD

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Isn't THAT heavy? 3.5 pounds is still one of the lightest 13 inch laptops available. You have to get into Ultrabooks to get lighter really. Apple fans are just far too spoiled :)

That's why I said 3.5 pounds wasn't that heavy, but there's still a big difference between 3.5 pounds and 2 pounds if you're carrying it around all day.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
That's why I said 3.5 pounds wasn't that heavy, but there's still a big difference between 3.5 pounds and 2 pounds if you're carrying it around all day.

This is the truth. My commute includes walking four miles a day, and I carry the machine around all day to meetings. Try it this way: 3 1/2 pounds really isn't heavy, but even the 2.4 pound 11" MBA is incredibly light in comparison, and the rMB is almost 20% lighter than the 11" MBA.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
A lot of the replies assume that the 12" MB is going to be an only computer. I think that it makes a big difference if the MB is a second computer, one picked for portability.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Since the Core M is on the same level as low/mid end processors from 2012/2013 it should be fine. Photoshop runs on 2009 machines with acceptable performance. The 8GB of RAM standard is necessary and was a pleasant surprise.

----------

I wished Apple gave the option to upgrade RAM to 16gb.

Minor Ps work will run just fine. If you need to do some heavy lifting, it's going to take a little longer than you'd like, but it will get the job done.

So... Will the convenience of extreme portability outweigh the inconvenience of a slower machine over time?

Personally, I plan on traveling much more than I plan on having to get work done with this, while I travel. And when I do have to work OOO, it will be minor Ps and Id tweaks. So for me, the 12" makes sense.

I am in the same boat as you.

I did all my RAW image processing on my BASE MODEL 2013 macbook air and it was shocking how smooth and fast it was. My desktop is a i2700K with 16GB of RAM and Samsung Pro 840 SSD and the macbook air from 2013 felt just as fast... I was shocked. Since the New Macbook will have 8GB of RAM double what mine had, and a CPU that will be between 5-10% faster at the same clock speed you should have ZERO issues. (FYI the stock macbook air from 2013 used a 1.3GHz CPU which is the same clock speed as the highest CPU apple will offer with the MACBOOK... Intel says between 5-10% speed advantage at the same clock speed which is nice) That being said I would get the 1.3GHz model.

Good to know. Thanks

Yep, while the rMBP isn't heavy, when you are traveling and carrying stuff all over the place, that weight difference makes a dent.

This is the truth. My commute includes walking four miles a day, and I carry the machine around all day to meetings. Try it this way: 3 1/2 pounds really isn't heavy, but even the 2.4 pound 11" MBA is incredibly light in comparison, and the rMB is almost 20% lighter than the 11" MBA.

That's why I am looking at the 12" with curiosity. I know the rMBP is the best suitable laptop for graphics work, but because I will only do occasional work on it, I like the portability aspect of the Air and 12".

A lot of the replies assume that the 12" MB is going to be an only computer. I think that it makes a big difference if the MB is a second computer, one picked for portability.

For my work the 12" must be a secondary computer. I have a MacPro for my heavy lifting. The laptop will only be necessary for an emergency situation for the most part I will be using to watch movies, Safari and Mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.