Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbohowell

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
1TB 840 EVO + Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt

Bought one of the original series enclosures off ebay (model 9000294) and put 1TB 840 EVO in it. Winced a bit plugging it in for the first time, but it has been running like a champ for over a month....moving around 1/2TB in 10-12 min and running win7 & 8 pvm's through yosemite off of it, and results are excellent.

hellomisterjedi

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2014
SoCal
Well here's my xbench 1.2 results from the Samsung 830 256GB in Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt enclosure connected to my 27" 2012 iMac.

Exactly which enclosure did you secure? I'm getting a bit confused searching for what I need to get to house my Samsung 840 SSD.

Here's my XBench numbers -- using a 500GB Samsung 840 (not pro) with a Buffalo Ministation enclosure on a 2.9 21.5" 2012 iMac with 8GB RAM

Exactly which enclosure did you secure? I'm getting a bit confused searching for what I need to get to house my Samsung 840 SSD.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I've now switched to a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB as my boot drive/Windows drive, and still in the same enclosure:

Seagate Backup Plus 2.5" enclosure.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backu...=8-2&keywords=seagate+backup+plus+thunderbolt

You can pick it up cheaper on eBay no doubt, along with the enclosure for the drive.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I've now switched to a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB as my boot drive/Windows drive, and still in the same enclosure:

Seagate Backup Plus 2.5" enclosure.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backu...=8-2&keywords=seagate+backup+plus+thunderbolt

You can pick it up cheaper on eBay no doubt, along with the enclosure for the drive.

Wow .... those Seagate Thunderbolt sleds have doubled in price, although that is a 3rd party vendor on Amazon.

For about $80 you can get a LaCie "Rugged Thunderbolt/USB3" refurbished hard disk and easily swap out the hard disk for a SSD. You can then repurpose the hard disk. This also boots Windows well.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Wow .... those Seagate Thunderbolt sleds have doubled in price, although that is a 3rd party vendor on Amazon.

For about $80 you can get a LaCie "Rugged Thunderbolt/USB3" refurbished hard disk and easily swap out the hard disk for a SSD. You can then repurpose the hard disk. This also boots Windows well.

I know, it's insane. I actually made a cursory glance toward eBay and didn't find anything much cheaper. That LaCie idea doesn't sound so bad, assuming orange doesn't bother you. :D

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I know, it's insane. I actually made a cursory glance toward eBay and didn't find anything much cheaper. That LaCie idea doesn't sound so bad, assuming orange doesn't bother you. :D

That orange "life boat" easily slips on and off, so you don't need it unless you routinely drop or throw it around :rolleyes:

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Seagate has "end of lifed" the Backup Plus Thunderbolt products, so prices will likely stay high or go higher as supply is depleted and some resellers try to take advantage of the dwindling inventory.

Look for refurbished LaCie Rugged drives at the LaCie Outlet shop or at other Internet resellers. Very popular item, and easy to swap out HDD and replace with HDD or SSD. LaCie has been using Samsung SSD inside. At least the ones I have.

hellomisterjedi

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2014
SoCal
Seagate has "end of lifed" the Backup Plus Thunderbolt products, so prices will likely stay high or go higher as supply is depleted and some resellers try to take advantage of the dwindling inventory.

Look for refurbished LaCie Rugged drives at the LaCie Outlet shop or at other Internet resellers. Very popular item, and easy to swap out HDD and replace with HDD or SSD. LaCie has been using Samsung SSD inside. At least the ones I have.

Thanks! Will the benefit from booting Yosemite from an external SSD (Samsung 840) linked via the LaCie ThBolt enclosure be worth the investment? I'm currently using a late 2012 2.7GhZ, 8, 1TB iMac right now. Not bad or slow, but compared to my rMBP I can tell the difference especially in boot time haha.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
I'm having problems with the Lacie rugged enclosure and the Samsung 850 EVO drive. It works with thunderbolt but not USB 3.0. Anyone have any ideas why?

yifuhood

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
if you have - LaCie Rugged 9000294 , then that is a known issue with the power supply not giving enough power , but mostly with usb 2.0. since you have macs support usb 3.0 , it should work. sorry i do not know too.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
if you have - LaCie Rugged 9000294 , then that is a known issue with the power supply not giving enough power , but mostly with usb 2.0. since you have macs support usb 3.0 , it should work. sorry i do not know too.

It shouldn't be a power issue! I researched the power consumption of the 850 Evo and it's lower than the standard Lacie SSD 250GB version with 840 Pro inside.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Just for information .... I have a 840 EVO 512GB in a LaCie "Rugged" enclosure which works fine. I think the 850 EVO, being newer, is also lower power and should work fine as well.

Last edited:

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Then I would guess it is either an enclosure/cable problem or bad port.

I use mine as a photo library backup and transfer medium between a USB 3.0 cMacPro and a Thunderbolt 5K iMac ... so both ports are regularly used.

Two people with the same problem? I think it's the controller and 850 Evo compatibility problem.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
It could also be the enclosure version ... there are 2 that I know of. The newer "Rugged" enclosure has an attached pendant Thunderbolt cable, whereas the older one has plug-in cables for both USB and Thunderbolt. Mine are all the older versions, purchased refurb with 1TB hard disks which were swapped out for SSDs.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
It could also be the enclosure version ... there are 2 that I know of. The newer "Rugged" enclosure has an attached pendant Thunderbolt cable, whereas the older one has plug-in cables for both USB and Thunderbolt. Mine are all the older versions, purchased refurb with 1TB hard disks which were swapped out for SSDs.

I have the older refurb one as well with two detachable cables.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Do you know if all LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt enclosures
http://www.lacie.com/products/mobile-storage/rugged-thunderbolt
are alike, independently of internal disk size or being HDD or SDD?

The idea is to buy the cheapest LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt and then swap inside a Samsung 850 EVO or Samsung 850 PRO from sites like Amazon.

That way you have the very same as the original LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt SSD with the same SSD mechanism inside (Samsung), but at half the price!!! Because LaCie is charging 2x to 3x times for the very same Samsung mechanism inside, which is shocking!!!

MarckyG

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Germany
Do you know if all LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt enclosures
http://www.lacie.com/products/mobile-storage/rugged-thunderbolt
are alike, independently of internal disk size or being HDD or SDD?

The idea is to buy the cheapest LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt and then swap inside a Samsung 850 EVO or Samsung 850 PRO from sites like Amazon.

That way you have the very same as the original LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt SSD with the same SSD mechanism inside (Samsung), but at half the price!!! Because LaCie is charging 2x to 3x times for the very same Samsung mechanism inside, which is shocking!!!
I feel ashamed to reply to such an old thread... But have you ever found out the answer to that? Are they alike?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.