Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Same here, showed up monday afternoon. I was surprised I saw it so fast. Pretty good so far, hopefully they'll get some tweaks in .0.1 soon.

OrangeInc

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
I'm in the same boat myself, even after Lollipop. I'm thinking about rooting and flashing either the Franco Kernel or Faux Kernel and seeing if those'll improve my battery life... I'm hoping.

Try installing the Greenify app. It'll drastically increase you battery life while the phone is idle by automatically hibernating apps that you aren't using. I'm at 80% battery right now from 14 hours of mostly idle/screen off time overnight. It's a huge improvement as my phone would usually be dead by now if I left it idle overnight. Also, the radio antennas take up a huge chunk of battery life so try and turn off bluetooth, gps, wifi anytime you're not using them. App wise, I found chrome and maps the biggest battery drains while idle so these are the main apps that are auto-hibernated by greenify.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-20-07-54-44.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-20-07-54-44.png
    252.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Try installing the Greenify app. It'll drastically increase you battery life while the phone is idle by automatically hibernating apps that you aren't using. I'm at 80% battery right now from 14 hours of mostly idle/screen off time overnight. It's a huge improvement as my phone would usually be dead by now if I left it idle overnight. Also, the radio antennas take up a huge chunk of battery life so try and turn off bluetooth, gps, wifi anytime you're not using them. App wise, I found chrome and maps the biggest battery drains while idle so these are the main apps that are auto-hibernated by greenify.

Thank you! I'll do that right away. You mentioned Chrome and Maps being the biggest battery drainers, any others that you've found?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

It sounds like it will only benefit a small group of people. Most of us charge our phones at night, so having everything powered down at night is not a big benefit.

During the day I have to leave bluetooth and location services on. Not have to, but I have a pebble and like location services.

I very much agree about the radio being a huge battery drain. I was without a sim card a few weeks ago, and my n5 had nearly double the battery life left at the end of the day. I am on tmobile, and I have heard they drain faster on the n5.

OrangeInc

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
Thank you! I'll do that right away. You mentioned Chrome and Maps being the biggest battery drainers, any others that you've found?

When you go to your battery setting it'll show you which apps are using the most battery. If you download the greenify app, just add those apps to greenify so it'll put them to sleep when you're not using them. This really saves a lot of battery life while your screen is off. For me it was Maps and Chrome, for you it may be different but apps that are constantly using your data/internet etc are usually the biggest drainers (facebook, web browser, email, maps etc) although turning off notifications for some of these apps may work also.

Last edited:

OrangeInc

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
It sounds like it will only benefit a small group of people. Most of us charge our phones at night, so having everything powered down at night is not a big benefit.

During the day I have to leave bluetooth and location services on. Not have to, but I have a pebble and like location services.

I very much agree about the radio being a huge battery drain. I was without a sim card a few weeks ago, and my n5 had nearly double the battery life left at the end of the day. I am on tmobile, and I have heard they drain faster on the n5.

Hmm I don't know about that. When I'd leave my phone idle at night (not charging/screen off) I'd wake up to it dead and just thought that was weird how I'm not using my phone at all and the battery is just draining. I think this'll help extend overall battery for the periods when your phone is not in use (when the screen is off). I added an updated screenshot of my battery. Note this is extremely minimal use but a huge improvement from before I had this greenify app.

And yes anytime your phone has to search for a wifi network, a cell network etc this'll be the biggest battery drain of all. Like I'll only turn wifi on when I am at a place that has wifi. If you have wifi on and there's no wifi signal your phone is constantly checking for a wifi signal which will decimate your battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-20-18-59-27.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-20-18-59-27.png
    258 KB · Views: 132

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Been running Lollipop on my N5 for the past week and im loving it. The animations are silky smooth and look great, the phone itself is running like a dream, runs smoother then any custom rom or stock Android ive ever used and surpasses the smoothness of iOS imo. Battery life seems to have improved slightly aswell over kitkat.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Been running Lollipop on my N5 for the past week and im loving it. The animations are silky smooth and look great, the phone itself is running like a dream, runs smoother then any custom rom or stock Android ive ever used and surpasses the smoothness of iOS imo. Battery life seems to have improved slightly aswell over kitkat.

Bought the N5 from a coworker before the holiday and updated it to Lollipop.

Why did I wait so long to get this smartphone was a huge oversight on my part. Total love! :)

Camera and battery life are not issues for me if someone is going to intervene as to why I might not have so again a huge oversight. I was looking towards the N6 with its specs and after trying it at T-mobile but not now especially with the price I paid for the N5.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
Battery life dropped off a cliff before Christmas with mine. Then realised that the battery has swollen and the phone is now pretty badly warped. Sent some photos to Google support who have approved a free warranty replacement. Phone is almost exactly one year old.

Hopefully this one will last a bit longer. Any ideas about user behaviour that can cause this, or is it purely hardware?

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Weren't there rumors that Huwai might make the next generation Nexus 5?

That could be interesting...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
That's too bad, the 6 has zero appeal for me compared to the 5. I'm sure there's still a market for a phone with that size and price.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
How is android 5.1? Showed up last night but I haven't had a chance to update yet.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Thanks. I finally ended up updating, haven't noticed much of a difference either way.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
I just found out that Google discontinued the Nexus 5. Can anyone tell me why? I know they released a new smartphone (Nexus 6) but why the need to discontinue the predecessor? Do they usually do that after releasing a newer model? So for instance when they release the new LG Nexus in October/November, will they discontinue the current Nexus 6?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I just found out that Google discontinued the Nexus 5. Can anyone tell me why? I know they released a new smartphone (Nexus 6) but why the need to discontinue the predecessor? Do they usually do that after releasing a newer model? So for instance when they release the new LG Nexus in October/November, will they discontinue the current Nexus 6?

Eventually yes. They stopped selling the Nexus 4 the same way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.