Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Hi guys,
I have the same problem like you.I have a mid2009 macbook pro with 10.6.8(Snow Leopard) and want to install Mavericks NOT Yosemite.
So my question is, did someone managed to install Mavericks on his computer, which is not delivered with Mavericks.

Sure, you can install Mavericks if your MBPro originally shipped with Mavericks, using Internet Recovery. Unfortunately, your MBPro is too old for Internet Recovery.
So, that leaves you with the other choice, install from a downloaded Mavericks installer.
You can get that if it is in your App Store as a Purchase, meaning that you have purchased Mavericks when it was available. Of course, it was always a free download, so "purchased" is just that you had already downloaded Mavericks while it was available.
You can use a download that someone else downloaded - but that use would be technically outside of the license for proper use.
You can get a copy of Mavericks at an Apple store. Just ask. There may be some nominal fee for copying the download for you (I don't know for sure).
Or, you could call AppleCare/Appstore support, explain your request, and you should be able to get a download redemption code that you use at the App Store, and you will be able to download the Mavericks installer. As you know, it is not available directly from the App Store, but you can still download it if you have it in your Purchases. (I am sure about that, because I just downloaded Mavericks a few days ago, from the App Store - but Mavericks is in my Purchases list.

When you have the Mavericks installer, I recommend that you make a bootable USB drive, using one of various methods. You can use that if you need to install again, without waiting for the 5GB download....

apeychev

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
Or, you could call AppleCare/Appstore support, explain your request, and you should be able to get a download redemption code that you use at the App Store, and you will be able to download the Mavericks installer. As you know, it is not available directly from the App Store, but you can still download it if you have it in your Purchases.

Thanks for the fast reply DeltaMac.
Unfortunately, i don't have Maverics in the purchases list.
So you are saying that if i order the Maverics from this store:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion
I am giving the link for mountain lion, because i didn't find the one for Maverics.
So if i purchase the OS from that link
and they give me the redemption code, where exactly should i enter the code to download the installer.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you purchase Mountain Lion, you get Mountain Lion - no more, no less.
There is no way that I know of to get Mavericks directly from either the app store, or from the online Apple store site.
One method (I already suggested that) is to call Apple Store support - and you have to contact them directly. You may be able to do that through the support link - I don't know. But you have to tell them that you want Mavericks.
They will (I think) give you a redemption code that you can enter at the App Store, which will activate the link so you can download Mavericks.
There's a "Redeem" link at the front page of the App Store, under Quick Links. That's where you enter the redemption code.
You need to get the redemption code first :D - and you have to contact Apple directly to get the redemption code.
This should get you going in the right direction> https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I don't believe Internet Recovery ever changes: if it came with mavericks, you can restore to Mavericks.

That's true. Internet recovery runs your serial number and downloads the version that mac came with from the factory.

has anyone tried that?
Because I think that it downloads the latest version of the OS.

Revisiting this topic. I am trying to do a clean install of Mavericks on a Mac that shipped with Mavericks but has been upgraded to Yosemite. Internet recovery goes only to Yosemite now. Am I missing something?

Alternate question: if I restore Mavericks via a Time Machine backup, is there a way to create a USB installer? Mavericks was never downloaded from the App Store, so that's not available.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Revisiting this topic. I am trying to do a clean install of Mavericks on a Mac that shipped with Mavericks but has been upgraded to Yosemite. Internet recovery goes only to Yosemite now. Am I missing something?

Alternate question: if I restore Mavericks via a Time Machine backup, is there a way to create a USB installer? Mavericks was never downloaded from the App Store, so that's not available.

That is interesting. I noticed that when I updated one of my systems to Yosemite it updated the boot firmware. Perhaps Yosemite does change the Internet recovery.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware

No, the best way to create a USB installer, is from the actual installer.
You can review my last post here (should be post #28, I think), with some tips that should help get you a Mavericks installer from Apple.
To recap:
Call Apple support with your request.
Go to an Apple Store, I have heard you can get a copy of the installer for some nominal fee - or the "genius" should be able to find out how you can get that Mavericks installer.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
No, the best way to create a USB installer, is from the actual installer.
You can review my last post here (should be post #28, I think), with some tips that should help get you a Mavericks installer from Apple.
To recap:
Call Apple support with your request.
Go to an Apple Store, I have heard you can get a copy of the installer for some nominal fee - or the "genius" should be able to find out how you can get that Mavericks installer.

Sorry, I think I had run out of steam before I got to your post. I'll try that and hope it works - thank you.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I spent a long time on the phone with a couple of very helpful Apple Care reps but unfortunately this did not work out.

First, they were unable to provide me with any kind of access to a Mavericks install file on the App Store or otherwise. Possibly a different tech support rep (or reps) might be able to figure it out but I spent an hour and a half on the phone last night with a total of three of them, one a senior supervisor, and we were unable to make that work.

The other thing I learned, which was a bit of a surprise because it's contrary to what is generally posted here, is that Internet Restore is apparently keyed to to what was shipped on a specific machine. My late 2013 rMBP sets up Mavericks in Internet Restore, which is obviously what it was shipped with. However, the 2014 MBA that I've got here, which shipped with Yosemite even though the earlier production of this model shipped with Mavericks, will not set up Maverick. Apparently, Internet Restore will only reinstall the OS X version that was actually installed on the specific computer.

FWIW.

Nailer6245

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Has anyone had any success in getting a copy of Mavericks from an Apple store, or calling support? I live in Brussels, Belgium (no store here) but would be willing to travel to Amsterdam (where there is a store) if I could get a copy of Mavericks.

Alternatively, I could try get a friend who's already 'purchased' it to get the installer for me - but would that not be linked or watermarked to their Apple ID? I'm currently running lion on an old HD, bought a new internal SSD and want to put Mavericks on that, but I really don't understand the licensing and how I can do that.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
depending on what machine you have, it can only be as old as the version that shipped with it.

For example, my refurbished rMBP 13" will only do 10.9.4 or later since that's the version that was out when it was released. The installer will authenticate the hardware as being compatible.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
AppleCare chat about obtaining, for the first time, the installer for Mavericks

… This should get you going in the right direction> https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action

+1

Has anyone had any success in getting a copy of Mavericks from an Apple store, or calling support?

A few minutes ago I used AppleCare chat support to seek advice for people in situations such as yours.

I live in Brussels, Belgium (no store here) but would be willing to travel to Amsterdam (where there is a store) if I could get a copy of Mavericks.

I doubt that it will be necessary for anyone to travel so far.

Alternatively, I could try get a friend who's already 'purchased' it to get the installer for me …

That's logical. The two solutions suggested to me by Apple were similar.

An assurance was given – the person providing support was clear and very confident, and happy for me to paraphrase things here – still, I would like to see (provide) one of the two solutions myself before sharing the information. I hope to do this on Monday.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Feedback to Apple to request OS X Mavericks in the Apple Store

… I would like to see (provide) one of the two solutions myself before sharing the information. …

The previously suggested solution was not effective, so I reused AppleCare chat support to review the case.

Feedback about the absence of the product from the Apple Store

Whilst the lady providing support this evening was unable to make an official statement for Apple (that's understandable), she and I agreed that it's appropriate for people to send feedback about the absence of Mavericks from the Apple Store online. Broadly speaking, there's an expectation for that browser-based store (not the Mac 'App Store' application) to gain a page for the OS X Mavericks product.

Outdated information about older versions of OS X in the Apple Store

http://store.apple.com/uk/help/downloads is outdated; "… The most recent version of OS X is Mavericks (10.9) …" and so on. Again, feedback to Apple is appropriate.

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Has anyone had any success in getting a copy of Mavericks from an Apple store, or calling support? I live in Brussels, Belgium (no store here) but would be willing to travel to Amsterdam (where there is a store) if I could get a copy of Mavericks.

Alternatively, I could try get a friend who's already 'purchased' it to get the installer for me - but would that not be linked or watermarked to their Apple ID? I'm currently running lion on an old HD, bought a new internal SSD and want to put Mavericks on that, but I really don't understand the licensing and how I can do that.

If you go with the alternative path, the Mavericks installation will not be watermarked with your friend's Apple ID.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Apple website feedback

At http://www.apple.com/contact/feedback.html I used the Website Feedback category to draw attention to:
  • the absence of Mavericks from the online store
  • the problems that may result from people resorting to unofficial sources, which may lack integrity
– and so on.

I encourage other readers to send feedback to Apple.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Anyone know, which version is App Store installer version? Is it 10.9.5 or lower?
If you redownload Mavericks from the App Store, you'll get 10.9.5, but it will not have any of the later security updates released for 10.9.5.
Apple always updates the OS X installers to be the latest for that version of OS X. For example the Mavericks installer gets you 10.9.5, and currently the El Capitan installer is 10.11.2.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Thanks chrfr. I want to have 'golden' copy of Mavericks stored in bootable image that I can copy anytime to USB. Understand the security stuff, but the reason is I have eyes problem with El Capitan and holding myself from being productive. I really like El Capitan, faster and more efficient, except its layout and appearance.

If you redownload Mavericks from the App Store, you'll get 10.9.5, but it will not have any of the later security updates released for 10.9.5.
Apple always updates the OS X installers to be the latest for that version of OS X. For example the Mavericks installer gets you 10.9.5, and currently the El Capitan installer is 10.11.2.

angelo1

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2015
Italy

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Hi! Any news about the possibility to download Mavericks - a secure download - by the web? Thanks
There's good info in this thread, and AFAIK nothing has really changed.
Short recap:
1. If you have previously purchased Mavericks from the App Store, you can download the Mavericks installer from your Purchased tab.
2. You should still be able to call AppleCare, explain that you need to download Mavericks, and you may be able to get a redemption code to download Mavericks through the App Store. I have also heard that others have not been successful with getting Mavericks through AppleCare, but you can try that.
3. You may be able to get the Mavericks installer at an Apple retail store, if you ask for it. You could bring your own 8GB flash drive for that purpose.
4. If your Mac originally shipped with Mavericks, you should be able to reload that on your Mac by booting to Internet Recovery.
5. You could get a copy of the installer from some other Mac user who has the installer app, or who can download it from the App Store.
6. (?) Another option is to download a torrent for the 10.9.5 installer. That's not one that I would choose, but that is a possible solution for you, too. You may even get one without any malware added as a freebie. No guarantees about that, but there it is.
7. Maybe some other choices, but something in the list above will get you the Mavericks installer.

Your important step will be to copy that installer app to some other external drive, so you still have it if something goes wrong with the OS X install. (If you install simply be running the downloaded installer app, the installer deletes itself as a last step during the install. Good to have a copy somewhere else, in case things go wrong :D

Reactions: angelo1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.