Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
Well, the next day I realized that was all a bit insane, so I cancelled. A little later, I poked around the refurb store and saw a confit that was nearly what I wanted. I7, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd, but with the 290 graphic chip. I hit the bid anyway, wishing the 295 was available a refurb. Set it up last night and checked system info to double check the SSD size. What did I find? Lo and behold, apple sent me one with a 295x!

I'm curious what the model model of your m295x iMac is. The model you technically ordered is supposed to be G0QX7LL. Does your iMac show a different model number?

I really want a refurbished m295x iMac.

numtini

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2015
How often does this happen of getting the free upgrade? I have read about a couple instances. Luck of the draw I guess? Congrats.

My new iMac arrived this evening. I ordered a 2013 3.4 with a 1TB fusion drive and a GTX775m and received a 3TB fusion and a GTX780m. So apparently it's not too uncommon.

deyorew

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2011
Danville, CA
Thought I would chime in

I just ordered my first mac computer:

27" Retina iMac
4GHz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 3TB Fusion, M290X

I was able to get 6% off through Apple Business and 10% off AppleCare
So I feel it was a pretty good savings.

I have pondered getting an iMac for about 5 years now after loving the iphones and ipads. I also use a Mac Mini (headless) as a music server but never tried to do any normal computing with it. My reason for splurging on an iMac was to get my photos organized and be able to do some work at home through web exchange. and have a place where my wife and I can both have our own "desktop" and "projects"

I hope I don't regret my purchase! It feels so expensive. But we tend to keep a computer a real long time (7-10 years)

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I just ordered my first mac computer:

27" Retina iMac
4GHz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 3TB Fusion, M290X

I was able to get 6% off through Apple Business and 10% off AppleCare
So I feel it was a pretty good savings.

I have pondered getting an iMac for about 5 years now after loving the iphones and ipads. I also use a Mac Mini (headless) as a music server but never tried to do any normal computing with it. My reason for splurging on an iMac was to get my photos organized and be able to do some work at home through web exchange. and have a place where my wife and I can both have our own "desktop" and "projects"

I hope I don't regret my purchase! It feels so expensive. But we tend to keep a computer a real long time (7-10 years)

I understand your nervousness, however if you are like most switchers your thoughts after a couple of weeks will be along the lines of "Why didn't I do this years ago?"

matthewv1227

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Manhattan
Just ordered a new 5K iMac, base model, replacing my late 2009 27 inch (hard drive smart status failing:confused: ) anyways... does anyone know if target display mode would be possible from the new 5k to my old iMac? I know that apple says TDM is not supported on the 5k iMac, but I'm not sure if thats just using the 5k as the display or as the source mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Just ordered a new 5K iMac, base model, replacing my late 2009 27 inch (hard drive smart status failing:confused: ) anyways... does anyone know if target display mode would be possible from the new 5k to my old iMac? I know that apple says TDM is not supported on the 5k iMac, but I'm not sure if thats just using the 5k as the display or as the source mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Yes, you can use your 27" late 2009 as a display for the Retina, with a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable.

nhatmyproblem

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2015
HTX
How's it going everyone. I figured i would post here since well I just recently purchased my first Apple computer.

I proudly now own a 27" 5K Retina with a i7 Processor, 32GB of Ram, 1TB fusion drive, and the AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GPU.

Long story short, I don't know why I waited so long to buy one. It's blazing fast and the 5K screen is absolutely incredible. Well, I hope I will gain a lot from this forum :)

deyorew

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2011
Danville, CA
Ok so here is a question.

I like the display resolution on my retina iMac set to default.

My wife eyes are not as strong and she liked it scaled much higher.

We have our own login (both standard) and I have a separate admin. But if you change resolution setting in any, it's s global change.

Is there a way to have the display resolution different per user? In other words she logs in and sees everything big and I log in and it is default?

green9206

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
Is this iMac model worth buying?
Dual core i5 1.4ghz
8gb ram
500gb hdd
intel hd 5000
OSX 10.9 Mavericks
21.5 inch Full hd monitor
Model name is MF883HN/A
Cost is $1150 in India and this is actually the cheapest model available!! Isn't there any other model with good specs under $1000?

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Is this iMac model worth buying?
Dual core i5 1.4ghz
8gb ram
500gb hdd
intel hd 5000
OSX 10.9 Mavericks
21.5 inch Full hd monitor
Model name is MF883HN/A
Cost is $1150 in India and this is actually the cheapest model available!! Isn't there any other model with good specs under $1000?

Without knowing what your needs are (meaning how you will using the computer) it's impossible answer your question.

NotSleeping

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2015
Is this typical?

Long-time Apple user/customer here (as in: since 1988)...

I just bought a brand new 27" iMac at the Apple Retail Store: 3.4 GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion. When I got it home, I fired it up and promptly realized that it was loaded with Mavericks, even though the in-store specs said that this model comes with Yosemite. The serial # reveals a 2013 manufacture date. It's not supposed to be a refurb (obviously), but is the inventory sitting in the retail stores really *that* old?

My question: Is it typical in March 2015 to get a brand new iMac at the Apple Store that is loaded with Mavericks?

Last edited:

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Long-time Apple user/customer here (as in: since 1988)...

I just bought a brand new 27" iMac at the Apple Retail Store: 3.4 GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion. When I got it home, I fired it up and promptly realized that it was loaded with Mavericks, even though the in-store specs said that this model comes with Yosemite. The serial # reveals a 2013 manufacture date. It's not supposed to be a refurb (obviously), but is the inventory sitting in the retail stores really *that* old?

My question: Is it typical in March 2015 to get a brand new iMac at the Apple Store that is loaded with Mavericks?

That would be pretty unusual but not beyond the realm of possibility. If you are dissatisfied and bought it directly from Apple then you have 14 days to return it for any reason.

mac nutt

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2014
Ordered my 21.5" 2.9/8/1TB Fusion iMac last week and just got it last night. Luckily, I got a free upgrade to 16GB RAM. My first Mac product and I am excited to get my feet wet.

Silver Shade

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
My Refurbished iMac retina 5k

I bought my iMac 27 5k retina refurbished (because Im Smart) for only $2239.00 that comes with i7, AMD radeon R9 M295X 4gb, 8gb of ram but I upgraded to 32gb wich i bought it at crucial.com for only $237 compare to apple $600 (Smart move again) and ofcourse apple care plan. So I saved $1,29

Alesc

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2014
France
I bought my iMac 27 5k retina refurbished (because Im Smart) for only $2239.00 that comes with i7, AMD radeon R9 M295X 4gb, 8gb of ram but I upgraded to 32gb wich i bought it at crucial.com for only $237 compare to apple $600 (Smart move again) and ofcourse apple care plan. So I saved $1,29
Unless they run a lot of VM, smart people don't buy 32GB of RAM...

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
Unless they run a lot of VM, smart people don't buy 32GB of RAM...

That or you're a person who likes using RAM disks.

As for myself as a post #1, let this be a lesson: If you're a tech nut, don't settle for stock "available in store" versions. While I'm still happy with my late 2013 27" i5 1TB HDD, it's the HDD versus my work MBP 512 SSD that has me kicking my own ass.

Still, I'm in love with my new iMac and can actually totally live with the standard. But once that Apple Care term ends, it's cracking time!!! :D

Guardsix

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Joined the iMac Bandwagon!

I finally, finally dropped an order for my iMac 27" with Retina, 4.0GHz, 8GB Ram 512GB SSD, and M295X graphics card!

I'd say that's about loaded. Should be at my home in 1-3 days! I can wait; waited this long so a few more days won't hurt!

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
So I've finally completed the switch over and purchased a 27" 5k with a R9 M295X and went with the 256GB SSD. Also went with the Magic Trackpad as i'm not too fond of the Magic Mouse. Already have a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse that works well so i should be covered.

Coming the second week of Easter i really cant wait. Will sell my old gaming dell and 30" Ultrasharp IPS monitor to recuperate some of the cost. My initial hold backs were the self serviceability and stability of the all in one design, no.of ports and connecting to my work place VPN via SSTP. I atleast have solutions for for the latter two points and will just have to hope for the best on the first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.