Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which rMB CPU are you getting?

• Total voters

Queen6

macrumors G4
Thank you.

I'm curious about their release schedule too. I've seen some road maps that said Skylake would be out at the end of 2015. It seems like the Broadwell/Skylake releases have meshed together.

Everything I have read recently points to Intel sticking to Skylake`s release date, the delay on Broadwell was the 14nm process. To me the MacBook may get refreshed as soon as Q4 2015 or Q1 2016, which is worth considering.

As my Mac`s are work related, it`s not such a big deal for me as they tend to pay for themselves in quicktime :cool:

Soon as Skylake is released I will replace my 15" Retina, and likely MacBook, 13" Retina I will wait and see. Personally I think the current MacBook`s performance will be adequate, as an lightweight ultraportable, for your typical office, business, study usage. Would I choose the current MacBook as my only system absolutely not, as in some usage situations it will be "dog slow"

Q-6

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Everything I have read recently points to Intel sticking to Skylake`s release date, the delay on Broadwell was the 14nm process. To me the MacBook may get refreshed as soon as Q4 2015 or Q1 2016, which is worth considering.

As my Mac`s are work related, it`s not such a big deal for me as they tend to pay for themselves in quicktime :cool:

Soon as Skylake is released I will replace my 15" Retina, and likely MacBook, 13" Retina I will wait and see. Personally I think the current MacBook`s performance will be adequate, as an lightweight ultraportable, for your typical office, business, study usage. Would I choose the current MacBook as my only system absolutely not, as in some usage situations it will be "dog slow"

Q-6

It's plemty powerful for casual use and writing, which is exactly how I'd use it. I'll keep my rMBP for all the heavy lifting.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Thank you.

I'm curious about their release schedule too. I've seen some road maps that said Skylake would be out at the end of 2015. It seems like the Broadwell/Skylake releases have meshed together.

Yes, that is because Intel had lots of trouble with the new 14nm process that Broadwell uses. Their yields (good chips per bad ones) were low at first but they've gotten better. Skylake will use the same 14nm process so there shouldn't be any further delays for Skylake (they could probably go to Skylake right now if the competition was threatening their lead... but it isn't).

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I need the full experience 1.1.

----------

Exactly, all the hate is just being driven by those who expect 15" MBPr performance at the price of a basic 11" Air, all in a nicer package :rolleyes:

Is what it is an Ultraportable Notebook...

Q-6

I plan to use it exactly how I use my current rMBP.

Last edited:

Alloy201

Suspended
Mar 13, 2015
I will also be using the rMB the same way I currently use my 15" MBP. A lot of people on here only like specs, all while using almost none of it's potential. The rMB is enough power for most Mac users, that includes rMBP owners. I will take a sexy new design, light weight, and practical over something that's excessive for most people.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
I will also be using the rMB the same way I currently use my 15" MBP. A lot of people on here only like specs, all while using almost none of it's potential. The rMB is enough power for most Mac users, that includes rMBP owners. I will take a sexy new design, light weight, and practical over something that's excessive for most people.

Agreed. Over on the mac mini section, I was lamenting the lack of quad-core 2014 update for the mac mini. In that case, I wanted more processing power for some data intensive programs that I run. For the rMB, my priority is portability while still having the full OSX experience to open multiple programs, being able to type (not on a bluetooth keyboard), being able to run Illustrator to make basic figures. I think this rMB is right for me just as I had wished that Apple had made a more powerful mac mini that would have fit my needs in my office.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It all depends on if the 1.3 GHz CPU can be CTO over the 'base model,' or if you'll have to upgrade to the 512 GB SSD/1.2 GHz model first.

256 GB is plenty of storage for me in a mobile computer, so I wouldn't pay $300+ extra for the storage upgrade plus the CPU upgrade. If I could upgrade just the CPU, then I would upgrade it as far as I can from the base model. If I couldn't, I'd just get the base model.

Note that at this point, it's not certain I'll be getting one - I might just get a Retina iMac once it refreshes, and no new laptop. (Yes, I'll be waiting to see what the second-gen 5K iMac is before buying any new Mac.)

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
It all depends on if the 1.3 GHz CPU can be CTO over the 'base model,' or if you'll have to upgrade to the 512 GB SSD/1.2 GHz model first.

256 GB is plenty of storage for me in a mobile computer, so I wouldn't pay $300+ extra for the storage upgrade plus the CPU upgrade. If I could upgrade just the CPU, then I would upgrade it as far as I can from the base model. If I couldn't, I'd just get the base model.

Note that at this point, it's not certain I'll be getting one - I might just get a Retina iMac once it refreshes, and no new laptop. (Yes, I'll be waiting to see what the second-gen 5K iMac is before buying any new Mac.)

Yes, it's available for CTO on both base configs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.