Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGerry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Hello all,

I recently came back to the Mac platform, starting with my Apple TV, then a new iMac. 3 weeks ago I swapped my Windows Phone for an iPhone, and couldn't be happier.

I am hoping to start a video blog (about horror films), however, because the quality of the iPhone camera is better than my Canon Rebels, I wish to use it for the recordings.

My question is, is there a way to live capture from the iPhone camera into video editing software such as Adobe Premiere CC or maybe Final Cut? I know I can record on the phone and then import that footage, but I am seeking out if it's possible to record while tethered to the iMac. I have a Creative Cloud subscription. I am just wondering if this is possible, and/or if I need an app on OS X or iOS to do so.

Any input would be appreciated. If anyone is wondering, I mentioned above one of the reasons I wish to use the iPhone is the bump in quality, but the other reason is the ability to use external microphones if needed (My Canon model does not support this).

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
maybe it's possible to use the lightning-av adapter and screen mirroring to record the hdmi-signal - but it'd probably be worse quality than the recorded video on the iphone.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
... because the quality of the iPhone camera is better than my Canon Rebels,....

Which Canon SLR do you have? You are doing something wrong. The SLR should outperform your iPhone in terms of nose, color and so on.

That said the iPhone should be "good enough" as what matters most is the lighting and the microphone and microphone location.

MrGerry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Which Canon SLR do you have? You are doing something wrong. The SLR should outperform your iPhone in terms of nose, color and so on.
Not doing anything wrong. I have a T3 Rebel. It only has a stock lens and does not support the use of an external microphone, and currently the highest setting I can set it to is 720p.

The iPhone however does support external microphones, and boasts 1080p video. I know the Canon gives me more control over the video, but that audio in my condo is a killer.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
as chrisA points out, it should deliver a far superior image compared to an iphone 6. (bigger sensor, bigger optics, more control over image) - even if only at 720p

you could use the iphone or the computer for audio recording. on the other hand - the iphone is probably more of a "fire and forget" camera.

Last edited:

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I think this is just something where you should try different things and see what works best. I agree with other posters that the Canon will deliver superior video. I suggest getting an inexpensive wired lapel mic that plugs into your iPhone for the audio recording. Capture audio on the Canon as a scratch track and use it to sync the audio from the iPhone. Also, consider your final delivery - I suspect only a very small audience will want anything larger than 720p, unless they are watching on hi-res phones. Try some different combinations and see what you learn. Camtasia and Screencast are relatively inexpensive and will capture iPhone A/V.

MrGerry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
I want to say first off thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. I am in the process of writing my first episode, and will be trying different methods of capture until I can find something quick and easy enough for me to go from recording to editing.

I will be trying to record from the Canon and then using the iPhone to record audio (I actually have been looking into some label mic's the last few nights on Amazon).

I will also be trying straight from the iPhone if I am able to find a cheap tripod and head adapter for phones, so far, my only option is to order from Amazon and shipping will take more time than I want it to.

For giggles, I will also try my iMacs built in iSight camera, to see how it fairs.

I know someone above touched on how many people won't be overly concerned if it's 1080p or 720p, but I would like to maximize that as a just in case sort of thing, if I wanted a little higher quality down the road, I have it.

Thanks again, I will look into each suggestion and post results in this thread in a day or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.