Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparker781

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
So I bought an iPad from someone for $70. Apparently there was a bad screen so I found out that it was still under warranty and sent it in to Apple and they replaced the screen. I went into Best Buy today and bought what I thought was the correct cable for the iPad Mini 2 however I plug it into my PC, it gets detected and shows up in iTunes however wont charge. It flashes on the iPad screen that its charging however stops a millisecond later. On the screen it says "Not Charging".

I either have a bad cord? Or perhaps the iPad is toast?

Please help

Thanks

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
So I bought an iPad from someone for $70. Apparently there was a bad screen so I found out that it was still under warranty and sent it in to Apple and they replaced the screen. I went into Best Buy today and bought what I thought was the correct cable for the iPad Mini 2 however I plug it into my PC, it gets detected and shows up in iTunes however wont charge. It flashes on the iPad screen that its charging however stops a millisecond later. On the screen it says "Not Charging".

I either have a bad cord? Or perhaps the iPad is toast?

Please help

Thanks

That sometimes just happens. Never happens when you plug it into the mains though

sparker781

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
Guess I'll be taking this back to Best Buy. Funny I plugged it in to the outlet, buy it still says "Not Charging" but the battery charged..... Weird

Bomb Bloke

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2015
Tasmania (AU)
It may be worth noting a few details about USB:

There are four pins in your typical USB lead; a couple for data transmissions, one for power, and one for grounding.

The power pin provides 5V at about 500mA (the amperage may be higher for eg wall chargers). Some computers don't provide enough amps to charge power-hungry devices such as tablets, but since those devices can still run off their own battery power, it's still possible to do other things such as eg sync data with iTunes using the data pins.

In some devices, like laptops, the power pin on some USB ports may be intentionally disabled. Some devices - like USB thumbdrives (which can run off the small amount of juice provided via the data pins), or externally powered USB hard drives, don't need it. Often such systems will have at least some powered ports, indicated by eg electrical bolts drawn next to them.

It could be that the power or ground pins in your cable was busted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.