Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matheew944

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
no distortion issue with my Air 2 and no vibration issues. perfect Ipad.

nathan.kindle

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2014
The vibration kinda bothered me at first but now I rarely notice, it's just something I've gotten use to.

AreanFSL

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
I had a friend point this out to me on his Air 2. It's extremely subtle however, it would definitely bug me for sure.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I must have just gotten a good Air 2 because I have zero screen distortion issues as some state. As I stated before it does vibrate but I used headphones 99 percent of the time anyway so I don't really mind. I will take thinness and lightweight with vibration any day over heavy and thick with no vibration.

echofree

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2014
I bought ipad air instead of ipad air 2. iPad air 2 isn't worth to buy because it is lack of creativity

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
I bought ipad air instead of ipad air 2. iPad air 2 isn't worth to buy because it is lack of creativity

It does have innovative and new things, though. Twice the RAM, Touch ID, louder speakers, laminated screen, thinner/lighter.

I used to think that Touch ID is a gimmick that I have no real use for, and that people who gush about it are exaggerating, but it grew on me really fast and now it feels fairly essential to me.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, I know how speakers work. It's a simple matter of isolating the speakers vibrations from the rest of the chassis and Apple has FAILED miserably in this department. Every other device or pair of speakers I have in my home work the same way yet NONE of them resonate or vibrate at any tangible level. That's because they aren't paper thin and weak like the Air 2 is.

Cake and eat it too? Cmon, stop apologizing for a high end, expensive device that obviously wasn't testetd for this problem.

It's official: the Air 2 is much too thin and that's what the problem is here regarding speakers and vibrating. Period.

OMG! It vibrates it's end of the world!!!.! Seriously who cares ....it's not terrible and by now I forget it's here

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas

Not true at all. I gave my Air to my wife and got the Air 2. It is thinner and lighter and is the first iPad I can comfortably hold in one hand for an extended period of time while working on it without my hand getting fatigued. The laminated screen makes a big difference. The ram increase is nice although I didn't have issues with 1GB. It is a nice upgrade and they improved the things that needed to be improved. That being said, the Air is still an amazing tablet.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I gave my Air to my wife and got the Air 2. It is thinner and lighter and is the first iPad I can comfortably hold in one hand for an extended period of time while working on it without my hand getting fatigued.

Agreed. The Air 1 weighs an ounce more than the Air 2. That added weight is like carrying an extra slice of bread in my hand. Or a pencil. ;)

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Agreed. The Air 1 weighs an ounce more than the Air 2. That added weight is like carrying an extra slice of bread in my hand. Or a pencil. ;)

I know it sounds silly since the weight difference on paper is so minor, but I think it also has to do with it being thinner. I can feel a clear difference when holding both the Air and Air 2 at the same time in each hand.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
It does have innovative and new things, though. Twice the RAM, Touch ID, louder speakers, laminated screen, thinner/lighter.

I used to think that Touch ID is a gimmick that I have no real use for, and that people who gush about it are exaggerating, but it grew on me really fast and now it feels fairly essential to me.
Yep, I mainly updated from my iPad 3 because I needed to move from 32 to 64GB, but all of those changes have made it worthwhile even if I didn't need more memory. The ability to use the TouchID with Lastpass is worth the price of admission for me.

The vibration on my Air 2 is subtle (I have an Apple case) and doesn't both me at all. However, while the speakers are decent for a tablet, I mainly use Airplay or headphones....which results in much better sound quality.

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
The sound vibration is a non issue, it doesnt distort the sound so what is the acutal problem then, the sound is more basier, better quality and louder and the device 6.1mm thin!

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I just purchased an iPad Air 2. I seriously thought about holding off, because my iPad 4 was functioning just fine. Enter my mother-in-law who wanted a tablet, so perfect excuse for a new iPad Air 2. :D

Thus far, I'm extremely impressed with my iPad Air 2.

In regards to sound, it's a huge upgrade in my opinion. The sound is very rich, compared to the iPad 4. There's a vibration you feel in the unit, but there's no sound distortion. It sounds great! Vibration is a non-issue to me.

I haven't noticed the screen distortion issue some have mentioned. I handled it a lot before I installed it into my KHOMO case. I didn't notice a thing. Performance wise, it's a huge upgrade as well. It's a terrific tablet!

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
I just purchased an iPad Air 2. I seriously thought about holding off, because my iPad 4 was functioning just fine. Enter my mother-in-law who wanted a tablet, so perfect excuse for a new iPad Air 2. :D

Thus far, I'm extremely impressed with my iPad Air 2.

In regards to sound, it's a huge upgrade in my opinion. The sound is very rich, compared to the iPad 4. There's a vibration you feel in the unit, but there's no sound distortion. It sounds great! Vibration is a non-issue to me.

I haven't noticed the screen distortion issue some have mentioned. I handled it a lot before I installed it into my KHOMO case. I didn't notice a thing. Performance wise, it's a huge upgrade as well. It's a terrific tablet!

How's the battery life compared to the 4? I have a 4 too but I'm peeved because of the constant tab reloads..

scottyy

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2015
The battery life is simply amazing.

I use the air 2 for a couple hours a night.
I charge it once a week sometimes twice if I am using it more than normal.

The vibrations are far from bad IMO.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
How's the battery life compared to the 4? I have a 4 too but I'm peeved because of the constant tab reloads..

It's really been incredible. I had over 5 hours of usage yesterday and it still had 64% of battery life left. Battery life has exceeded my expectations and it's been better than the iPad 4.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
I held the iPad Air 2 yesterday in my hand in the store.
I immediately noticed how thin the device is, maybe a bit too thin.
Why you may ask: When I grabbed the iPad I saw the screen distorting where I held it, showing discoloration. The same thing as if you press too hard with your finger(s) on your computer screen.
I'd wait for the Air 3 if I was you. I was originally tempted to buy the Air 2 in the 128GB and LTE form, but knowing what I saw yesterday it's a no-no for me and I'll wait for the iA3.

Mine doesn't do that(just pressed really hard on it). Although I agree it can't hurt to wait for the 3 if you are concerned. Battery life has taken a hit and the device does feel a bit too thin. But I have no screen problem on mine at all.

----------

It's really been incredible. I had over 5 hours of usage yesterday and it still had 64% of battery life left. Battery life has exceeded my expectations and it's been better than the iPad 4.

No lol just no. If you are using the Internet expect about 8 hours max.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
No lol just no. If you are using the Internet expect about 8 hours max.

I used it yesterday extensively on the Internet. I'll continue to monitor it, but thus far it's far exceeded my expectations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.