Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turnonthejets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
Hi Folks, a friend of mine tasked me with trying to attempt a recovery of some of her photos, etc from her iPhone 4 (A1332 model). She tried to update to iOS7 but it didn't work and now we're here. Stuck in a reboot loop with only the apple logo on the screen :apple: then to black and back to the logo. I'm able to get it into Recovery Mode but not DFU mode. I've tried tinyumbrella, recboot, redsnow, snowbreeze, and a host of ifunbox, iphone explorer, etc type programs...not that I expected the later to work. Anyone have any thoughts on what to try next? I have no experience in jailbreaking or any other advanced iOS updating, etc so figured I'd come to the experts for advice. Thanks.

turnonthejets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks, do you have advice on getting into DFU? I can't seem to given the stuff I found online.

turnonthejets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
I get this;

Continue holding the home button until you iTunes pops up a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

However the screen doesn't go black I get the iTunes and usb cord screen...

like this one

connect-to-itunes-iphone-4-Optimized.jpg

Guess I'm not getting into DFU mode but recovery mode? It seems the sleep/hold button might be a bit wonky too, it doesn't click but it seems I can push it still....ugh

turnonthejets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
I now have her crappy old laptop that does have an early 2013 backup in iTunes. But I can't Restore and Update. Now I get error 21 when doing so. I've disabled MS Security Essentials and updated the OS as well as iTunes to no avail...still failing. I've tried a few times to see if I get any other errors but now it's just the 21 one. I did see a couldn't reach device once but not in the past few tries. Any thoughts on that one?

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Restore it on a diff computer, if she doesn't want to update her software on the comp.

turnonthejets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
I did update everything on her system and tried on my mbp but neither worked. I'm giving up at this point. Thanks for the suggestions

niwesey

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
I downloaded iOS7 via a Wi-Fi network earlier today, and I've been waiting to install it until recently. However, I was having a couple errors when I tried installing it, so I turned it off and back on again, and it started installing just fine.
I've repeated this process three times now. If anyone could give any assistance it'd be most helpful.

Thanks!

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
I agree. Tiny Umbrella saved my iPhone. Not sure how reliable that method is though. Might only work in certain cases. If I knew it always worked I would probably massively buy those "defective" recovery screen iPhones off eBay and make large profit. ;-)

aidenh37

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Sorry, but your data is gone. The only way to get out is to restore and even then you can't seem to access DFU or Recovery mode.

Say goodbye to the iPhone 4!

Also, if you attempt to get in these modes, use a charger because it drains the battery fast.

Last edited:

Ethanack

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2014
I just downloaded to my Mac, installed it, connected my iPhone, used the special Restart button in the yellow area on the main screen and did NOTHING else. That was enough to SHOCK my iPhone back to life and get it out of Recovery mode.

Unbelievable that iTunes can't do this. This almost makes me want to go pay for Wondershare just to thank them for fixing my iPhone 5 after that heart-stopping iOS7 horrible upgrade experience.

Thank goodness I did not actually RESTORE and wipeout my iPhone like iTunes was saying I needed to do.

Apple, shame on you!!!!

Johnnyss

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2014
1) Download iOS 6.1.3. (If you have in on your computer already then drag and drop it to your desktop.)
• if you don't have it then download it here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
2) Go to iTunes, then to your iPhone.
3) Hold shift and click restore.
4) Use the pop-up-box to navigate to the location of IOS 6.1.3
5) Double click the IOS.

iTunes should now start to restore the iPhone. The same process can be done by hold shift button and clicking update, instead of restore.

Omid.Shekari

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2015
what worked at the end?

I just downloaded to my Mac, installed it, connected my iPhone, used the special Restart button in the yellow area on the main screen and did NOTHING else. That was enough to SHOCK my iPhone back to life and get it out of Recovery mode.

Unbelievable that iTunes can't do this. This almost makes me want to go pay for Wondershare just to thank them for fixing my iPhone 5 after that heart-stopping iOS7 horrible upgrade experience.

Thank goodness I did not actually RESTORE and wipeout my iPhone like iTunes was saying I needed to do.

Apple, shame on you!!!!

Please help me with this same problem. what did you do at last that worked for you?
did you mean you installed tinyUmbrella on your mac and used it?

Fantobastic

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2015
Help guys

Guys i hav iphone 4 n its gevey unlocked..
its firmware is 04.10.1 ios 4.3.3 running..

so i was thinking to update the phone preserving the baseband..
so jst wanted to know if gevey unlock still works wen i update the phone..and plz suggest which ios shuld i update to.. i mean shuld i directly update to ios 7.1.2 or ios 6 or ios 5.1.3 ..
Thnx in advance :):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.