Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
In both design and software/overall experience, SEGA Dreamcast tops it for me. I really loved those "It's Thinking" ads and Shenmue II is my 2nd fav video game ever behind Final Fantasy VII and followed by Tekken 3 on PS1.

But if I had to rank favorites -

1. PS1
2. Dreamcast
3. PS2
4. SNES
5. Genesis
6. NES

My first console ever was really NES. But I think I am more attached to the 6th gen of consoles (DC/PS2/GCN/XBox era) just because I owned all four at the same time. Dreamcast stood out the best to me in design followed by GameCube. But my real favorite is a handheld which is Sony PSP. It took me five years until I decided playing ROMS on my 1001 model. I bought some digital downloads of PS1 games and a Genesis collection. I was able to play four of my top fav consoles (NES, SNES, Gen, PS1) on that. But I say my console days are about over even though the PS4 might be the best designed console ever by Sony. I might go back into playing games if there is a hadnheld that can perfectly emulate Dreamcast games and it has 10 hr SOT battery life for playing those games. The PS Vita doesn't cut it for me with that battery life and lazy PS2 ports.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
GameCube is probably the best design. So nice and compact--and worked great.

I recently picked up a XBox 360S: R2D2 limited edition though and it's super cool looking.

Attachments

• star-wars-r2d2-xbox-360.jpg
    star-wars-r2d2-xbox-360.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 202

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
1.) PlayStation 2

2.) Sega Dreamcast/GameCube/Original Xbox - All equal in my eyes

3.) Xbox 360/PS3 - Both equal

Undoubtedly I think the the PS2 is the greatest console of all time, ever.

Not so much due to it's relatively open and forward thinking design (HDD expansions, USB ports, FireWire port, Optical Audio out, Ethernet and Modem support, DVD player, Component video) - but due to its game library that is arguably the greatest to ever exist. I'm not going to even bother listing off the games that are better than half of the newer stuff, but a quick Google (or memory) will answer that for you.

The Dreamcast was something else. I remember being 10 and wanting one so much, the svelte white design, the beautiful controller, the web browser, the keyboard and mouse, the VMU, the VGA adapter, and Sonic. In 2011 I finally got my hands on one, err, wait, FIVE of them. I fixed the controller board fuse that would blow if a controller was plugged in while the system was on, or if a faulty controller was used with the system at all. Cleaned them out, and then later sold them.

Loved the 'Cube. Amazing design, rock solid quality, and more powerful than the original Xbox and PS2. Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid were reasons I didn't have any contact with the outside world for a few days/nights.

Original Xbox - probably the best memories next the PS2. The PS2 I had Parappa the Rappa and Tony Hawk 3 to begin with, and had some awesome memories with friends with those games. But with the OG Xbox, I had other just as awesome memories with Halo 1.

I later soft modded PS2's and OG Xbox's to run Linux (on both), rip games and CD's to the HDD's (on both), and use emulators (on both)

PS3 and 360 - no great memories like the older consoles, but man do these systems have some awesome first party games. I much prefer the 360's design over the PS3's, but the PS3 is more easily upgradeable HDD wise, and I much prefer the interface on the PS3 (in some ways, not all)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I'm down for that. I would love to see what everyone thinks is the ugliest console of all time. Start that thread!

We'd see the very same models as posted in this thread - just exchange those who posted. :D

Couldn't decide whether it's the N64, Ps3 or Xbox for me. UGH!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.