Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
In case someone is using a forum app like I am and can't see my signature, I have a 2011 iMac and a 2012 MacBook Air, and as the title says, I want to downsize to just one Mac.

Part of this is because I feel that maintaining two Macs at this point in time is burdensome and redundant, and also because my iPad has become a (somewhat) sufficient portable work device.

My usage is somewhat on the non-taxing side. I do a fair bit of freelance translation and I write a lot, be it for school reports and assignments, work assignments and hobbyist writing.

When I had bought my Air, it was at a time when productivity apps for iOS weren't very effective. However, over the past year, with Microsoft releasing Office and other companies releasing usable versions of other productivity apps I use on my Mac, my Air has begun to leave my house less and less. The only times I would bring it out would be if I needed access to websites that only work on Internet Explorer or I need to work with multiple files at the same time, such as running a video clip at the same time I type stuff up, hence the "somewhat" tag.

For entertainment, I play World of Warcraft, which I found surprisingly playable on the Air barring the loud fans. I am not a stickler for graphic quality, and I'm mostly a casual player.

I was considering on getting a midrange 13-inch rMBP and hooking it up to the iMac for TDM until the day my iMac bites the dust. That way, I can make use of a big,usable screen at home and still be able to haul a full fledged computer with me in case the need arises. Are there any caveats about this I should be aware of? Or do you have any alternative purchasing advice?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
The rMBP 13 would be good I think

In case someone is using a forum app like I am and can't see my signature, I have a 2011 iMac and a 2012 MacBook Air, and as the title says, I want to downsize to just one Mac.

Part of this is because I feel that maintaining two Macs at this point in time is burdensome and redundant, and also because my iPad has become a (somewhat) sufficient portable work device.

My usage is somewhat on the non-taxing side. I do a fair bit of freelance translation and I write a lot, be it for school reports and assignments, work assignments and hobbyist writing.

When I had bought my Air, it was at a time when productivity apps for iOS weren't very effective. However, over the past year, with Microsoft releasing Office and other companies releasing usable versions of other productivity apps I use on my Mac, my Air has begun to leave my house less and less. The only times I would bring it out would be if I needed access to websites that only work on Internet Explorer or I need to work with multiple files at the same time, such as running a video clip at the same time I type stuff up, hence the "somewhat" tag.

For entertainment, I play World of Warcraft, which I found surprisingly playable on the Air barring the loud fans. I am not a stickler for graphic quality, and I'm mostly a casual player.

I was considering on getting a midrange 13-inch rMBP and hooking it up to the iMac for TDM until the day my iMac bites the dust. That way, I can make use of a big,usable screen at home and still be able to haul a full fledged computer with me in case the need arises. Are there any caveats about this I should be aware of? Or do you have any alternative purchasing advice?

I can only say if you do a lot of reading and writing the retina display is the thing, it is brilliant for text looks printed onto the screen sharp, crisp and clear, the anti glare is ok the viewing angles amazing and it seems much easier on the eyes...

It is smaller than the air though slighly thicker and a little heavier. I personally think its the best all round small thin light laptop you can buy.

If you are going for the new broadwell version then sell you old macs and buy a 4K monitor to go with it for around $500 you should get at least that for your old macs...

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I can only say if you do a lot of reading and writing the retina display is the thing, it is brilliant for text looks printed onto the screen sharp, crisp and clear, the anti glare is ok the viewing angles amazing and it seems much easier on the eyes...

It is smaller than the air though slighly thicker and a little heavier. I personally think its the best all round small thin light laptop you can buy.

If you are going for the new broadwell version then sell you old macs and buy a 4K monitor to go with it for around $500 you should get at least that for your old macs...

I will say that working on the iPad has been quite the visual experience compared to my iMac or my MBA. While I could clearly see a difference between the Retina and the non-Retina, the difference for me wasn't so bad that I couldn't stand non-Retina any longer.

I've seen the 13-inch rMBP a few times at the resellers here, and hefted them. It definitely seemed light enough for all-day carrying around, if I so needed.

Do you happen to use one of those models? If you do, are there any advantages and shortcomings that you've noticed in your usage that review sites may not have picked up on?

----------

Ok offload the existing machines and get a 13 rMBP or MBA (thinking the rMB won't be powerful enough for your gaming?) and then one of these Dell monitors?: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-24-inch-monitor/

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I use ....

I will say that working on the iPad has been quite the visual experience compared to my iMac or my MBA. While I could clearly see a difference between the Retina and the non-Retina, the difference for me wasn't so bad that I couldn't stand non-Retina any longer.

I've seen the 13-inch rMBP a few times at the resellers here, and hefted them. It definitely seemed light enough for all-day carrying around, if I so needed.

Do you happen to use one of those models? If you do, are there any advantages and shortcomings that you've noticed in your usage that review sites may not have picked up on?

----------

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

....a late 2013 Haswell rMBP 2.6Ghz/8gb/512Gb SSD i love it.

I don't really use it as a desktop but often output to my 32 inch samsung TV for media.

It has worked flawlessly since day one runs windows 8 on bootcamp. The odd stutter in a few of the animations was little irritating but turning down the transparency seemed to stop that. other than that I love it.

In a bag it sometimes hardly feels there at all so light and easy to carry around. The battery life is great and all in all it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I

Battery life isn't like many would have you believe with real usage. They get warm, especially if not on a hard surface (like a bed or couch). Fans whiz up with many video players from my experience. They are fine as a desktop - dual monitors, triple if you get a USB adapter like an EVGA 39+. 8GB RAM and 256GB drive gives a solid machine for a great price.

I have many computers for testing and development, I've used many laptops over the years both Apple and PC. It's honestly one of my favourite systems for what it is, what it offers and the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.