Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
If that's the case, the BEST option is HBO.

Is HBO available in the UK? If not, that's one advantage Netflix would have.

If availability between the two is the same, I could see a bidding war between HBO and Netflix happening. Any network would be stupid to pass up a chance to sign the trio.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
Top Gear is a BBC brand, so the three of them, if they wanted to, would have to come up with some other name

Netflix Car Show
"C**king about in Cars you cannot afford", sponsored by Amazon Prime
or HBOs Motoriser

The BBC will do another Top Gear, but without those presenters, it will not have as much appeal, as it attracted both men and women.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Is HBO available in the UK? If not, that's one advantage Netflix would have.

If availability between the two is the same, I could see a bidding war between HBO and Netflix happening. Any network would be stupid to pass up a chance to sign the trio.

You can only get HBO in the UK if you pay a fortune for the right package on Sky.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Top Gear is a BBC brand, so the three of them, if they wanted to, would have to come up with some other name

Netflix Car Show
"C**king about in Cars you cannot afford", sponsored by Amazon Prime
or HBOs Motoriser

The BBC will do another Top Gear, but without those presenters, it will not have as much appeal, as it attracted both men and women.

Here are a few possible names ;)

House of Cars
Orange is the new SLS AMG Black Series
Marco VW Polo
Hemcock Grove
Liliy-Jeremy-will-fix-it-with-a-hammer

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
Clarkson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Clarkson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The King is Dead!

The King is Dead!

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
For the BBC to sack him, the guy must've gone above and beyond his previous stupid antics to the point where they (BBC) had no other choice.

So Clarkson cocked it up massively...again. But this time the straw broke the camel's back.

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
Yeah the Beeb had no choice on this one even if he wasn't already on his last, last, last warning to behave.

Predictions
The BBC will probably keep co-producing the international versions of TG but give the UK version a rest for a few years.
Then maybe they might do a show about cars that can be afforded by more than 1% of the population.:rolleyes:

Clarkson, Hammond and May will probably go to ITV, thats usually where BBC talent goes to die.
Or maybe any new show could go straight to Dave in the UK (which basically wall to wall TG most days anyway) and then the international sales could pay for most of the budget.

Interesting to see what will happen.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yeah the Beeb had no choice on this one even if he wasn't already on his last, last, last warning to behave.

Predictions
The BBC will probably keep co-producing the international versions of TG but give the UK version a rest for a few years.
Then maybe they might do a show about cars that can be afforded by more than 1% of the population.:rolleyes:

Clarkson, Hammond and May will probably go to ITV, thats usually where BBC talent goes to die.
Or maybe any new show could go straight to Dave in the UK (which basically wall to wall TG most days anyway) and then the international sales could pay for most of the budget.

Interesting to see what will happen.

IMHO, it would be a mistake to go to another UK outlet. Too much of their viewing audience is from elsewhere.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
That doesn't matter - the format would still be international.
Hopefully more episodes will get produced by the new syndicate. Im sure the 3 already have a good plan where this is going. 6th Gear?

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Well I guess this is officially official. My favorite show....in the world, has come to an abrupt end. You know, personally, I think the BBC could have handled it better than this. They might have fined Clarkson, suspended him for a longer period of time, anything.

This is not to say I consider punching someone okay. What Clarkson did was terrible. Unacceptable. But by the sounds of it, he was drunk, and that can make people very stupid. He has apologized in person, even reported himself. I think that has got to count for something.

I think BBC should just end it. It's not Top Gear without the three, no matter what BBC thinks. I didn't watch it for the cars, I watch it because of Jeremy, James and Richard. It's the same reason why I don't watch US Top Gear.

Oh well, it's been a terrible past week. I'm pretty devastated. No more specials, no more epic races, no more cocking up. Top Gear is no more. I guess it's time to break out the beer and binge watch from the very beginning. I do believe this will be my 9th time doing this.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

This doesn't make much of a difference to be honest. If New Top Gear was produced by a British channel without an American version the US broadcasting rights would still be sold to an American network, it's not like it'd be produced by a British company therefore only ever aired in Britain. It'd also end up on all the torrent sites within 5 minutes of airing.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Clarkson is sacked ?! Wow, BBC's not playing. this ***** is for real!!

Too bad about Top Gear... I'm wondering about May and Hammond would they continue Top Gear without Clarkson ?

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
You know, personally, I think the BBC could have handled it better than this. They might have fined Clarkson, suspended him for a longer period of time, anything.

This is not to say I consider punching someone okay. What Clarkson did was terrible. Unacceptable. But by the sounds of it, he was drunk, and that can make people very stupid. He has apologized in person, even reported himself. I think that has got to count for something.

He was beyond a final warning, having already made racist/derogatory remarks, used the ni**er word, which was covered up (and subsequently leaked) caused and international incident in Argentina, and then goes and has a scuffle with one of his work colleagues.

I'm not sure the BBC could have handled it any other way. How many other companies would have given their employees this many chances?

Clarkson is sacked ?! Wow, BBC's not playing. this ***** is for real!!

Too bad about Top Gear... I'm wondering about May and Hammond would they continue Top Gear without Clarkson ?

Initially it seems they want to stick together as a trio, so let's wait and see. Hope so, they make quite a team.

Edit: Here's James May saying as much
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=821877157865377

Last edited:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
used the ni**er word

You mean he mumbled something that didn't sound like any word in an outtake that was never meant to air, and when it leaked, no reasonable person thought he actually used the n-word. Listen to the audio. If no one told you he was saying it, you would have never heard it.

caused and international incident in Argentina

You mean a bunch of dumb Argentineans got pissed off over a random license plate number which, if you do some serious mental gymnastics, could be vaguely connected to the Falklands War.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
You mean he mumbled something that didn't sound like any word in an outtake that was never meant to air, and when it leaked, no reasonable person thought he actually used the n-word. Listen to the audio. If no one told you he was saying it, you would have never heard it.

I've heard the audio thanks! I've also heard the rhyme before when I was a kid, he mumbles it but he knows what he's saying!

You mean a bunch of dumb Argentineans got pissed off over a random license plate number which, if you do some serious mental gymnastics, could be vaguely connected to the Falklands War.

It still caused international friction, regardless of what you think of Argentinians.

Regardless, if you go around physically assaulting a work colleague, then it's a sackable offence, simple as!

If it was an investment banker that had punched 'Janice the tea lady' because his moccafrappacrappachino didn't have chocolate sprinkles on, and he'd gotten away with it, people would want him publicly executed, but somehow Clarkson is above all that?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I liked the show, and I like Clarkson, but assult is assult. Apparently the police have asked the BBC for a copy of the report.
They could always bring back Noel Edmonds :D

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Initially it seems they want to stick together as a trio, so let's wait and see. Hope so, they make quite a team.

Edit: Here's James May saying as much
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=821877157865377

Thanks for the video, Based on that I think the Top Gear trio would stay loyal to one another. But again if loyalty meant losing your high paying job, that would really cause a tremendous dilemma isn't it.

Or the trio could regroup at other TV channel and create similar auto show, but I wouldn't know how the legal standing about this if they are allowed to do that or not.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
I don't think any TV channels will be pursuing Clarkson or his co-hosts until Yorkshire Police and the CPS have decided whether there will be a criminal prosecution.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Well, if they do another episode without Clarkson, I can see how the run up to the Stig testing a car on the Top Gear track should go.

"Some would say that if he returned late to a hotel to find no hot food available, he would have simply accepted a sandwich and gone to bed. All we know, he is called the Stig.";)

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I've heard the audio thanks! I've also heard the rhyme before when I was a kid, he mumbles it but he knows what he's saying!

If you see the video, he clearly looks like he is trying pretty hard not to say it.

It still caused international friction, regardless of what you think of Argentinians.

Based on the the evidence, this very clearly wasn't their fault at all. It's very silly to blame Jeremy for this. They said it was a coincidence, the license plate registration date says it was a coincidence, the fact that Jeremy wanted the manual 982 GT and the fact that only two were on sale at the time tells me that this was simply what they've been saying -- a coincidence.

Regardless, if you go around physically assaulting a work colleague, then it's a sackable offence, simple as!
If it was an investment banker that had punched 'Janice the tea lady' because his moccafrappacrappachino didn't have chocolate sprinkles on, and he'd gotten away with it, people would want him publicly executed, but somehow Clarkson is above all that?

No he isn't. In my eyes, he very partially redeemed himself by consistently apologizing in person the day after the fact, and that he reported himself to the BBC. Even today, he has been saying to people to let Oisin Tymon alone as it wasn't his fault at all.

Look, I'm not saying he should be let off for this, of course not, he punched a producer! What I'm saying is, BBC should have handled this better by fining Clarkson a huge amount, forcing him to go to rehab, even jail time, but he be allowed to host Top Gear. Top Gear would still exist and we wouldn't feel dead inside because our favorite show has come to an end!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.