Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I would get annoyed too if I used Siri that much. I don't think there is a "turn off snarky remarks" option.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Your holding her wrong. ;)

Seriously, turn her off and don't be so damn lazy. Now if you will excuse me I have to rebury this damn body bag. :D

lmao..... don't forget to close the docking bay doors.

OP, Siri is like a gorgeous woman, you have to sweet talk her.

----------

I *DID NOT* say it was a flaw.

The problem is that it should be customizable.

It's called an "I" phone.

so "I" should be able to turn that **** off if it's bothering me.

Sorry, but they gave it a personality. Most people enjoy it but I see how that could be become annoying- especially if they upped the frequency.

Control center to the rescue. Swipe up and set the timer.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
OP's post made me laugh. I think he's trolling, but if he's not, it's still funny.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I use the timer almost every day, but I haven't gotten the snarky comments yet. It's always, "Ok, I've set it to...whatever time I set it to." Or "I'll turn it on for you...at whatever time I set it to."

No funny or otherwise extraneous comments have been spoken by Siri to me yet. Maybe I'll just ask Siri to tell me some jokes next time. ;)

I guess I don't see the problem. Just either set manually or hit the home key really fast so you don't hear her "humorous" commentary.

I wish mine did add more personality to her comments. Maybe mine is just shy. :)

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Oct 6, 2014
I have to admit, I'd like an option to turn the "added comments" off.

However, people on MacRumors are too emotionally invested in Apple and I knew it would evoke the responses you are experiencing.

Couldn't be bothered with the b******t responses, so I left it.

However, not being able to correctly decipher between 15 & 50 is a bit of an issue which I regularly encounter.

I wonder if Apple will actually allow us to disable the "humour" at some point?

Failing that, add some more "jokes" to the mix as it's boring hearing the same "jokes" over & over again ...

Reactions: maritroyd

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
If She can't distinguish between 60 or sixteen why not say an hour or quarter of an hour? Just a thought.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Is there any way to TURN OFF Siri's STUPID comments?

I am using an iPhone 5s (iOS 8.0.2) .. I use Siri pretty much all day (setting timers mostly -- helps keep me on task).. I am SO SICK of listening to all of Siri's STUPID ******** COMMENTS every time I use this function..

When setting a timer:

"oh the suspense is killing me"
"some stupid ******** ***** about a good iphone doesn't boil over"
"roger that"

When my GF asked Siri where the closest tanning salon was:

"It's not good to be overdone"

ARE YOU ******** KIDDING ME? I get that Apple is trying to be "edgy" and "cool" and "hip" but commenting on someone's life choices is not Apple's place..

The rest of the things I mentioned are just plain annoying.

I would like to use Siri, have it do what I ask, not throw in some stupid comments after everything I do.

Is there a way to disable that aspect of it or is this yet again, another design flaw by Apple?

*EDIT - Examples*

8RWf7TT.jpg

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
So disable the otherwise useful feature because along with doing useful things it provides extraneous commentary? One of those "cut off the nose to spite the face" type of things it would seem.

Exactly. Siri is a personal assistant and conversational software.

Once you turn it off, you go back to voice control. Which does everything you want instantly.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Exactly. Siri is a personal assistant and conversational software.

Once you turn it off, you go back to voice control. Which does everything you want instantly.
It supports all or even most of the things that Siri can do and that many people use Siri for?

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I've been setting timers, reminders and alarms through Siri a lot lately and I've received no responses that convey any sort of personality. Timer setting response is "xx:xx and counting..." every time without fail.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
It supports all or even most of the things that Siri can do and that many people use Siri for?

Pretty much . You want to set a timer, it does it.

But if you don't want Siri to talk to you and you don't want answers from it, use voice control.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Pretty much . You want to set a timer, it does it.

But if you don't want Siri to talk to you and you don't want answers from it, use voice control.
Sure, no talking back, but I still don't think it does everything or perhaps even quite a few things that Siri does that various people use and need from Siri. Perhaps you can set a timer, and if that's mostly what you need along with a few other similar things, it can work, but if you also use Siri for many other things, the question is whether or not voice control can do them all, and most likely it can't (otherwise voice control would be Siri basically).

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Sure, no talking back, but I still don't think it does everything or perhaps even quite a few things that Siri does that various people use and need from Siri. Perhaps you can set a timer, and if that's mostly what you need along with a few other similar things, it can work, but if you also use Siri for many other things, the question is whether or not voice control can do them all, and most likely it can't (otherwise voice control would be Siri basically).

The person wants to turn off comments made by Siri when they ask it to do something. Just use voice control. Lol

What is it that voice control can't do that Siri can?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The person wants to turn off comments made by Siri when they ask it to do something. Just use voice control. Lol

What is it that voice control can't do that Siri can?
That's what I'm wondering. If voice control could do anything that Siri can then there wouldn't be a difference between them and one would be the other basically, therefore there must be a difference and thus there must be things that voice control can't do that Siri can. Based on that, it might not be a viable option for at least some to simply disable Siri and use voice control just to avoid extraneous comments (at the cost of giving up some functionality that they need or want to use that only Siri can provide).

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
Voice command can make calls, play music, or tell you the time. It can't do things like find information on the internet or find a movie time or a local restaraunt.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Voice command can make calls, play music, or tell you the time. It can't do things like find information on the internet or find a movie time or a local restaraunt.

It's actually supposed to be talking and asking you questions at that point.

When I ask the temperature Siri can add in that I'll need a coat or what it's thinking.

What kind of experience is the op looking for?

It's supposed to know things. And a Siri that doesn't say anything is not the Siri that people want.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I use my iPhone with Siri off.

I then setup Google Now, it's very useful.

And that can read your messages or send messages or set up reminders or make calls or start timers or use various other features in the phone?

----------

It's actually supposed to be talking and asking you questions at that point.

When I ask the temperature Siri can add in that I'll need a coat or what it's thinking.

What kind of experience is the op looking for?

It's supposed to know things. And a Siri that doesn't say anything is not the Siri that people want.
Siri should say extraneous things when it makes sense (like to answer a question like "what's the weather like today?") and not when it's simply told a command to do something (like start a timer).

whatos

macrumors 6502a
Siri should say extraneous things when it makes sense (like to answer a question like "what's the weather like today?") and not when it's simply told a command to do something (like start a timer).
I give Apple a lot of credit for being so clever. Knowing how young boys get such a thrill farting and hearing their friends fart, they approved loads of fart apps for the iPhone early in its history. This made Apple extremely popular.

Then in a stroke of genius Apple created Siri to amuse, entertain, and also be functional. The adults fell for this, are captivated with "her"... Apple brags, looks like the smartest company ever, which is quite true.

Their years of superb marketing, combined with a little Barnum and Bailey smoke and mirrors entertainment, and here we are, Apple has everyone captivated.

With a massive amount of cash and Pro Apple press, they're unstoppable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.