Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkenergymedia

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2015
this still doesn't work.

the one monitor connected over displayport continues to glitch, flicker, and not work.

these monitors simply do not work with displayport on a nMP (in my experience.) regardless of OS level, software tools, cable types, cable connection schemes, reboots, various refresh rates.

in every configuration imaginable (in my experience) if you connect an LG31MU97 to a nMP via displayport, it doesn't work properly. this is absolutely a mac problem, i feel. there are TONS of threads about just about every single model of 4K monitor on the market where people are having issues over displayport.

apples' official 4K support page claims that displays can only handle SST at 30hz... then goes on to say that the LG is supported at 30 or 50hz, but cleverly no mention is made of supported resolution.

perhaps the technology isn't ready yet? i don't know - seems to me that someone knows what's going on. i've asked LG if nobody else has reported this. my support guy refuses to put me in touch with someone who can answer questions or troubleshoot. all he cares about is that i don't return them.

avoid these monitors AT ALL COSTS. perhaps avoid 4K monitors on an nMP altogether, as it seems as though that's probably the problem, but i can't confirm that yet.

i'm not sure how some of you are getting away with using these... but i'm jealous.

c

Last edited:

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
this still doesn't work.

the one monitor connected over displayport continues to glitch, flicker, and not work.

avoid these monitors AT ALL COSTS.

that's my suggestion.

Really sorry to hear that, especially after your previous more upbeat post. I think you've given them every chance to work. It's a shame.

My feelings have certainly changed, influenced at least partly by your experiences.

I've owned my nMP for just over a year now. I'm guessing I'll have it about 4 or 5 years in total before it'll be time to upgrade again.

(I had my previous Mac Pro for an astonishing 7 years as my main machine, although the length of time was somewhat to do with Apple's reluctance to bring out any kind of update, but that's another story... we've all been there!)

Anyway, I was saying...

When it comes to upgrade my Mac Pro again in 3 or 4 years monitors will be much higher resolution than 4K with the corresponding display port/thunderbolt updates to go with them. That means that whatever monitor I buy now will likely not be one I want to keep when I get that machine. So spending a grand (sterling) on a monitor that I'll only want to use for, say, 3 years just doesn't add up.

At least not for me.

I'd still like a high res IPS display, though, but not such an expensive one then I can justify the cost. A couple of hundred (pounds) per year to write it off would be fine with a little kick back if I can sell it later on. I'm happy to go UHD rather than 4K. I'm looking at the BenQ BL3201PT (also called the BL3201PH). At £650 (just under $1000) that's getting there. There are other options out there too from Asus, Acer and others plus more on the way.

If I don't get something soon, it won't be worth it and I'll just stick with my ACD 30" and Dell 20" until computer upgrade time comes around again.

That's my thoughts. What are you going to do now, Chris?

Reactions: rdav

darkenergymedia

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2015
i wish i knew what to do.

my options seem to be:

1 - grin and bear it and hope that apple / AMD address the issue. i'm reading TONS of threads on discussions.apple.com now - literally every 4K display type has someone claiming these issues.

2 - try a different 4K / UHD monitor solution (but again, it seems this isn't a fault with the LGs, but with implementation of SST at high resolutions on the nMP.)

3 - give up and go back to non-4k. now that i'm used to ACTUALLY SEEING what i'm shooting in 4K, this is a VERY difficult thing to do. but i don't see what i'm shooting in 4K if the monitor doesn't work.

i created a custom resolution in SwitchResX at 40hz... and as of now the displayport-connected display is behaving itself, but i know now that it's just a matter of time.

i'll report back any time something of note happens. i'm not particularly interested in badmouthing LG or even apple (although i fully believe apple is to blame here) so when i say to avoid them, it's only because this clearly seems to be a legitimate problem for SOME users, and it's really something you want to not have to deal with. =)

cheers,
c

Last edited:

Darby67

macrumors 6502
Have you removed SwithResX entirely from the equation. I religiously used it years ago, but haven't found it necessary in a while. You might create a new user and boot into it without and see if it could possibly be a software issue.

darkenergymedia

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2015
i started this whole situation without the switchres, actually. i only picked that up a couple of days ago, and it's actually helped stabilize things (albeit in a very limited fashion.)

by the way, here's the latest reply from LG support after i asked what they've been telling other customers with this issue:

"Hi Chris,

Good day!

As of this moment, there are no reports yet about the 31MU97-B monitor having problem with a Thunderbolt connection just like what’s happening with your case. To be honest, this is the first time our team in the Computer Products Department experienced this issue.

Unfortunately, there is no response yet from the Technical Support team for this case and it might take a while to have a reply.

I apologize for this Chris, I feel the disappointment."

no reports. sure.

c

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
Return Window?

.. Latest reply from LG support -
Unfortunately, there is no response yet from the Technical Support team for this case and it might take a while to have a reply.

In that case, ask LG to agree to extend the return period (on the two monitors), until a satisfactory answer /solution is forthcoming from their "technical support team".

KenKoNY

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2015
i started this whole situation without the switchres, actually. i only picked that up a couple of days ago, and it's actually helped stabilize things (albeit in a very limited fashion.)

by the way, here's the latest reply from LG support after i asked what they've been telling other customers with this issue:

"Hi Chris,

Good day!

As of this moment, there are no reports yet about the 31MU97-B monitor having problem with a Thunderbolt connection just like what’s happening with your case. To be honest, this is the first time our team in the Computer Products Department experienced this issue.

I apologize for this Chris, I feel the disappointment."

no reports. sure.

c
I just got this monitor and also find some problem, after read all this thread and i wanna share what i have
*the monitor connect to my nMP by the mDP/DP

1. the monitor work out of box at 4096*2160@50hz on my mac pro with D300 graphic card (10.10.2)
2. when i switch to bootcamp win 8.1 64bit the monitor work on the 3840*2160@30

as the default setting out of box, the monitor has no problem at all very stable, like a normal monitor should.

then i try to find out the problem i have in the win8.1, as i plug the monitor to my nMP, in the win8.1 i select the crossfire option on as normal when i use my previous monitor EIZO SX3031, under this situation the the highest resolution and fresh rate i can get is 3840*2160@30, after i suspect the problem is from the driver i refresh the bootcamp driver pack and all setting in the catalyst reset and the crossfire off at a that time, then the monitor lights up at 4096*2160@50 as default. then try to select 4K@60 in the catalyst, the option is selectable but it goes totally dark after i made that select, the monitor has no response include the monitor menu like dead, but the win8.1 seems still on then i plus my sx3031 back on and switch back to 50HZ fresh rate everything came back to normal.

At this time i still thought the problem comes from the AMD driver after i read this thread, yesterday, i install 10.10.3 on my mac try to find out what gonna happen on my monitor because someone shows pics that the monitor will work on 4096*2160@60, after i update to 10.10.3 all i got is all disaster, i can't login neither Yosemite nor win8.1 BECAUSE THE FRESH RATE IS 60HZ now.

So, i think i have my conclusion now, is all problem comes from the 60HZ fresh rate at full 4K resolution, at this point no matter under what OS my monitor only work at 4K@50HZ not 60HZ, if you want 60HZ as your demand you have to lower you rasolution as compromise.

OK after i did some research i got this
"For a single display, this enables up to 3840 x 2400 resolution at 60Hz, or a 3D display (120Hz) at 2560 x 1600." - http://www.displayport.org

Next, lets do the math,as the 3840*2400>4096*2160, so 4096*2160@60hz is still under the bandwidth.

Finally, i think i got my answer is all people commented all situation on Amazon and here is caused by the monitor itself, some of them has perfect quality as they said their monitor can work on 4K@60HZ flawless, or some has kinda "ok" quality like i have can work at 4K@50HZ perfectly, or some like yours have serious problem. even at this point there still another changing factor may affect the result in this case is the cable, so as the people like me may try to solve the problems by changing the cable. and for you, if you really like the color what this monitor performed go change another one to see what happen while its not hard process with amazon's service.

PS. i got my monitor at local store with the color LG logo, as the someone mentioned is old version.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I just got this monitor and also find some problem, after read all this thread and i wanna share what i have
*the monitor connect to my nMP by the mDP/DP

1. the monitor work out of box at 4096*2160@50hz on my mac pro with D300 graphic card (10.10.2)
2. when i switch to bootcamp win 8.1 64bit the monitor work on the 3840*2160@30

as the default setting out of box, the monitor has no problem at all very stable, like a normal monitor should.

then i try to find out the problem i have in the win8.1, as i plug the monitor to my nMP, in the win8.1 i select the crossfire option on as normal when i use my previous monitor EIZO SX3031, under this situation the the highest resolution and fresh rate i can get is 3840*2160@30, after i suspect the problem is from the driver i refresh the bootcamp driver pack and all setting in the catalyst reset and the crossfire off at a that time, then the monitor lights up at 4096*2160@50 as default. then try to select 4K@60 in the catalyst, the option is selectable but it goes totally dark after i made that select, the monitor has no response include the monitor menu like dead, but the win8.1 seems still on then i plus my sx3031 back on and switch back to 50HZ fresh rate everything came back to normal.

At this time i still thought the problem comes from the AMD driver after i read this thread, yesterday, i install 10.10.3 on my mac try to find out what gonna happen on my monitor because someone shows pics that the monitor will work on 4096*2160@60, after i update to 10.10.3 all i got is all disaster, i can't login neither Yosemite nor win8.1 BECAUSE THE FRESH RATE IS 60HZ now.

So, i think i have my conclusion now, is all problem comes from the 60HZ fresh rate at full 4K resolution, at this point no matter under what OS my monitor only work at 4K@50HZ not 60HZ, if you want 60HZ as your demand you have to lower you rasolution as compromise.

OK after i did some research i got this
"For a single display, this enables up to 3840 x 2400 resolution at 60Hz, or a 3D display (120Hz) at 2560 x 1600." - http://www.displayport.org

Next, lets do the math,as the 3840*2400>4096*2160, so 4096*2160@60hz is still under the bandwidth.

Finally, i think i got my answer is all people commented all situation on Amazon and here is caused by the monitor itself, some of them has perfect quality as they said their monitor can work on 4K@60HZ flawless, or some has kinda "ok" quality like i have can work at 4K@50HZ perfectly, or some like yours have serious problem. even at this point there still another changing factor may affect the result in this case is the cable, so as the people like me may try to solve the problems by changing the cable. and for you, if you really like the color what this monitor performed go change another one to see what happen while its not hard process with amazon's service.

PS. i got my monitor at local store with the color LG logo, as the someone mentioned is old version.

Maybe the answer (for those of us still dithering about deciding what to do) is to go for UHD. OK, so in theory true 4K over DP 1.2 should work, but it seems like you're pushing the limits of the technology by doing that. As someone pointed out, true 4K isn't that much more than UHD so unless you have a very real, pressing need for those extra 256 pixels then UHD seems like a better bet for achieving stable 60Hz.

Probably. :rolleyes:

KenKoNY

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2015
Maybe the answer (for those of us still dithering about deciding what to do) is to go for UHD. OK, so in theory true 4K over DP 1.2 should work, but it seems like you're pushing the limits of the technology by doing that. As someone pointed out, true 4K isn't that much more than UHD so unless you have a very real, pressing need for those extra 256 pixels then UHD seems like a better bet for achieving stable 60Hz.

Probably. :rolleyes:

well is not only 256pixels by multiple 2160*60HZ its a lot data up and down, for now i am actually pretty happy with the 50HZ fresh rate, it really doesn't bother you if you don't look at the system info says "4K@50HZ", on the other hand i will try some other cable see if i can reach the 60HZ

KenKoNY

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2015
well is not only 256pixels by multiple 2160*60HZ its a lot data up and down, for now i am actually pretty happy with the 50HZ fresh rate, it really doesn't bother you if you don't look at the system info says "4K@50HZ", on the other hand i will try some other cable see if i can reach the 60HZ

there are only 2 of DCI 4K 31inch monitor in the market now as i know, the other one is the EIZO CG318 professional monitor, on its web it indicate that for the nMP D300 D500 it only support up to 4096*2160 max fresh rate at only 58HZ.
http://www.eizoglobal.com/support/c...compatibility_with_graphics_boards/index.html

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
.. received my second 31MU97 today, and have both connected and working with my 2013 Mac Pro (D700 graphics, 10.10.3 beta). I've got them on two separate Thunderbolt busses, and there's enough bandwidth leftover for several external drives (including an SSD RAID) and the HDMI output for my Oculus Rift DK2. I did experience glitches and tearing with a single display under 10.10.2, but those have all gone with the latest 10.10.3 beta despite adding a second display. Both are running at 4k(4096x2160)@60Hz using the included Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables, but the USB connection back to my Mac Pro doesn't work on either display.

The second display is a new production, has a monochrome LG logo on the front (as opposed to a color logo on the original unit), and came with a color calibration report from the factory...

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20873055/
Hey [jkg4] thanks for the Setup & Images. Glad it's working Ok for you (with two monitors). Still going well? Or have you experienced any problems since then.

Last edited:

darkenergymedia

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2015
i've come to be very zen about these things.

firstly, setting the refresh rate to ANYTHING using switchresX makes no difference. if the monitor is having a fit, it's having a fit, and nothing helps.

after living with this for a couple of weeks i've learned that this exclusively happens when the monitors have been asleep or off for a while. while the problem only seems to happen in this circumstance, it doesn't ALWAYS happen - sometimes they wake up and they're fine.

inevitably it happens when i come back to the machine after a while. but what i've come to realise is that if i walk away for 10 minutes, have a coffee, get some air... i will come back and everything is fine, stable and ready to go.

of course this is potentially challenging to explain to clients, but often a forced break can be welcome, and i've yet to come back from a 10-minute walk-away to find them doing anything other than working fine.

so go figure.

LG has absolutely no interest in helping. i requested to speak to a supervisor, and i've heard no reply.

further research shows a lot of people who have tried to get apple to fess up to something about displayport 1.2 support on the mac pros, as clearly something isn't right, but apple is very very carefully avoiding any admissions of guilt, of course.

i attempted to install windows via bootcamp on the nMP yesterday but bootcamp is failing to properly format the partition for a win8 install, every single time, which killed about 2 hours of my day yesterday.

i don't believe this is a hardware issue (in regard to defective monitors, that is). i DO believe there is something going on in my configuration (either hardware or software) that is probably exacerbating and existing driver issue, or something similar.

i have not yet tried a different user, but i'll give that a go next time.

also, i got the accel ultra AV displayport 1.2 cables that have so many rave reviews on amazon (including claims that it fixes this problem) but it has made no difference in my case. i think i can safely say this is not something that can be fixed with cables, as i have tried no less than 6 different sets of cables.

something is broken, nobody wants to admit it.

typical corporate philosophy: "please continue to send cash and stop asking questions."

c

Last edited:

toomanyipods

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
i've come to be very zen about these things.

firstly, setting the refresh rate to ANYTHING using switchresX makes no difference. if the monitor is having a fit, it's having a fit, and nothing helps.

after living with this for a couple of weeks i've learned that this exclusively happens when the monitors have been asleep or off for a while. while the problem only seems to happen in this circumstance, it doesn't ALWAYS happen - sometimes they wake up and they're fine.

further research shows a lot of people who have tried to get apple to fess up to something about displayport 1.2 support on the mac pros, as clearly something isn't right, but apple is very very carefully avoiding any admissions of guilt, of course.

also, i got the accel ultra AV displayport 1.2 cables that have so many rave reviews on amazon (including claims that it fixes this problem) but it has made no difference in my case. i think i can safely say this is not something that can be fixed with cables, as i have tried no less than 6 different sets of cables.

something is broken, nobody wants to admit it.

typical corporate philosophy: "please continue to send cash and stop asking questions."

c

First of all, great thread. And thanks for your efforts in troubleshooting. Yes, I'm finding it happens most after waking from sleep, and sometimes several minutes later. I have all of the monitor's energy saving settings turned off. Good to know about Switchres X. I did not see an improvement either, but wasn't sure if I had the monitor configured correctly in Switchres X.

I've tried calling Apple. I'm treated as a curiosity mostly, and with sympathy. One support rep said I was his first Mac Pro call in three months. In comparison, I've tried calling Dell about their monitors, and their support is Abysmal.

I bought the Accell cable as well, and it has made no difference over the stock cable. Hesitant to pay $50-60 for the other, when there are reports that it does and does not solve the problem.

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
Are we there yet? /Not.

First of all, great thread. And thanks for your efforts in troubleshooting.

It's certainly a great thread, with lots of smart contributions. But we seem to be no closer to an answer.

When running one or two of the LG-31MU97 monitors from an nMP(6); some punters experience no significant problems, while others suffer all sorts of disturbing issues. Even for systems sporting the top-spec D700 GPUs.

But neither LG nor Apple seem to have any answers. Nor do they seem to have much interest in applying resources towards a solution. Despite the official claims that it should all work Ok.

In theory, we're told that even even the nMP(6)/D300 should be able to run three 4k(4096x2160) monitors. (But not all at the full 50/60Hz). And it's being reported that the upcoming Yosemite 10.10.03 does improve the picture.

But it gets more complicated than that. Some Windows PC users have reported similar monitor problems. And some Mac users say that better DP cables can make a difference (or not). Plus, there seem to be at least two different batches of this monitor from LG. Also, some other UHD monitor users have noticed similar (but much less pronounced) problems.

Arggh :confused:

Maybe the world is not ready for True-4k. And we need to wait for the nMP(7) and OS-X 10.11 (Mojave) in a few months. With upgraded GPUs and improved I/O options etc.

lisagurl

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
One thing I have noticed on the nMP is when starting the button needs to held for at least a full second as it takes some time to load the data of startup. This issue has caused monitor issues and little things such as color in the header bar.

My system seems to be working fine at 50 Hz as I wait for the finished update of the operating system. I run two monitors including a newer LG 31MU97.

toomanyipods

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
One thing I have noticed on the nMP is when starting the button needs to held for at least a full second as it takes some time to load the data of startup. This issue has caused monitor issues and little things such as color in the header bar.

My system seems to be working fine at 50 Hz as I wait for the finished update of the operating system. I run two monitors including a newer LG 31MU97.

Are you talking about the power button on the nMP, or the power button on the 31MU97? My monitor wakes from sleep when turning on, I guess I haven't noticed that problem. Just one more inconsistency between similar setups I suppose.

----------

rdav;20915190 When running one or two of the LG-31MU97 monitors from an nMP(6); some punters experience no significant problems said:
My nMP has a D700 GPU, and I still have problems. Agreed, 4K is still very elusive. But reading forums on the other "pseudo" 4K monitors drove me to this LG monitor. The issues with MST still seem to be a big issue for most monitors. And running at 30Hz was not an option.

lisagurl

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
The power button on the nMP as I never turn off the LG 31mu97 it just goes to sleep when the computer is off.

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.

Hi lisagurl, glad your system is working Ok on Yosemite[10.10.02]. What is your other monitor, is it 4k/UHD or something else? And which of them is the designated primary (boot screen)? Also, which Tb/bus do you attach them each to? Thanks.

lisagurl

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
AMD FirePro D700:

Chipset Model: AMD FirePro D700
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-2
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 6144 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6798
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C3861J-687
gMux Version: 4.0.11 [3.2.8]
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.687
Displays:
SMS27A850:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: H1AK500000
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort
31MU97:
Resolution: 3008 x 1586 @ 50 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Television: Yes
======
Port 1 the SA850 boot screen and port 2 the LG 31mu97. I have them scaled to see the small print. When the update comes i will play some more with them but it is very stable now. I am old with bifocal contacts so for me being clear is important. I am not a gamer but do watch video. I sit about 3 feet from the screen.

darkenergymedia

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2015
so i wrote to "anthony" (LG support) one last time asking to speak to a supervisor, and recieved an email from "greg" today (starting with "hello Bart", which is curious, as my name is not bart.)

here is that email in its entirety:

"

------Reply to Your Inquiry-------

Hi Bart,

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics.
It is my pleasure to assist you. Please accept our sincerest apology for the delay in our response and any trouble or inconvenience we may have caused you.

Thank you for your concern. In regards to your concern about your monitor that is getting a problem when connected to MAC PC using a thunderbolt connection but it was not giving a good performance. For that you need to use a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. "

so now we're back to this again. keep in mind that this is the reply that LG thought fit to send me when asking for a higher level of technical support.

so i wrote back again. i'm trying to stay civil but i'm losing patience with these people.

"hello greg!

thank you for your reply. so is this LG support's official solution on the new mac pro?

just to be clear, you are telling me in order to use these monitors over thunderbolt i need to use a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter.

this is counter to the marketing that both LG and apple are currently employing.

there is a huge amount of interest on various forums about these issues, so i'm happy to pass this info along, but i will await your reply.

if this is NOT LG's official standpoint on these monitors, then i need to speak with a support person who is qualified to answer technical questions.

i have spent a good amount of money on these monitors and they do not work as advertised. i do not know if the fault lies with LG or apple, but if LG is interested in supporting the products they sell, it seems to me that they would want to get to the bottom of this.

there are several of us tech-savvy end users that have been struggling to get thease working who are willing to work with LG (or apple) to get to the bottom of this.

as of this point i have gone back and forth with your support department many times, and i feel there is no desire to find a solution on LG's part.

please let me know if in fact LG is not interested in determining why their 4K monitors do not work with the new Mac Pro.

thanks,
chris"

i fully expect to hear back that he NEVER MEANT that we have to use TB to HDMI adapters, just like last time. but we'll see.

also, just to remind everyone, i am indeed running the 10.10.3 beta... or whatever the beta is... and it hasn't helped at all.

still haven't managed to get bootcamp working on the mac pro - i imagine i'll be able to determine more if i can achieve that.

cheers,
chris

jkg4

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I wanted to provide an update on my experience using a 2013 Mac Pro (D700) with two LG 31MU97 displays at 4096x2160@60Hz: after two weeks it's been flawless, including under Bootcamp. My Mac Pro is running the latest OS X 10.10.3 beta and using the included Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 cables. I've had no tearing or visual glitches that I used to get with earlier versions of OS X. Unfortunately, the USB 3.0 uplink port doesn't work for me on both displays.

I also have three LG 34UC97 displays and when I use those via Thunderbolt 2 I do get some occasional visual glitches and tearing under both OS X and Bootcamp.

darkenergymedia

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2015
I wanted to provide an update on my experience using a 2013 Mac Pro (D700) with two LG 31MU97 displays at 4096x2160@60Hz: after two weeks it's been flawless, including under Bootcamp. My Mac Pro is running the latest OS X 10.10.3 beta and using the included Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 cables. I've had no tearing or visual glitches that I used to get with earlier versions of OS X. Unfortunately, the USB 3.0 uplink port doesn't work for me on both displays.

I also have three LG 34UC97 displays and when I use those via Thunderbolt 2 I do get some occasional visual glitches and tearing under both OS X and Bootcamp.

i envy your situation, considering i have an entirely identical setup.

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
nMP(6): LG-34UC97 /x6.

I also have three LG-34UC97 displays, and when I use those via Thunderbolt-2 I do get some occasional visual glitches and tearing under both OS X and Bootcamp.

Somewhat off-topic I guess, but that seems odd. In theory the nMP(6) should run six of the LG-34UC97 monitors without undue effort. Via regular Thunderbolt cables, one from each TB2 port. (Plus pass-thru to other peripheral devices). Eg. https://youtu.be/zeCd8oC_38I?t=37s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.