Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I've just installed that new PS4 firmware. It's good! Remote Play is really smooth now, it's not quite as lag-free as the Wii U Gamepad but it's certainly smoother and the new 60fps option is good!

Suspend is really useful too. Just gave it a go with GTA Online, obviously it logs you out but there's no boot up sequence. It just goes to the Online joining screen. Haven't tried it in a single player game yet but I imagine it's going to be even faster.

Very pleased with this.

Last edited:

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
GTA is the first thing I thought of when I heard the feature, worst load times I have ever seen in a game

Last edited by a moderator:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah working grand on my PS4 and the 2tb HDD upgrade is still fine - hopefully won't start chirping on this new firmware after last fix :)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I will be making a lot of use of the suspend play feature, I've been waiting for that one.
I hope my PS4 will actually update itself now as well when it's in suspend mode, it's annoying when I leave it suspended, then when I resume the first thing I get is a message advising it's now downloading an update!

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I will be making a lot of use of the suspend play feature, I've been waiting for that one.
I hope my PS4 will actually update itself now as well when it's in suspend mode, it's annoying when I leave it suspended, then when I resume the first thing I get is a message advising it's now downloading an update!

Hah, yes! Though the feature has one unfixable flaw - if you've got a suspended game and a patch is released, you have to restart it. So last night when the GTA patch was pushed out I couldn't actually do anything and it got stuck in a weird loop trying to reconnect me to the Online servers.

Has anyone else tried out remote play? A friend has done a bit of maths and says there's a 48ms lag. Gameplay wise it's 1-2 frames behind on a 30fps game, and 3 frames behind on a 60fps game.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I don't know who told Sony I wanted PS Now on my dash thingy but I do appreciate the new detailed "Whats New" section...also PS Store cluttering my dash thingy as well :confused:

Everything does feel faster and notifications got little bit more...interesting.

Bless

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The thing that's driving me nuts is inconsistency. The first couple of times I started the system after the update, it had "What's New" preselected. I quickly got into the habit of pressing Right then X. On about the fourth boot, it changed to preselecting the game, so Right->X loaded the wrong game. Now after doing that a couple of times, it's gone back to preselecting What's New again. Is there a random number generator in there or something? :eek:

I'd also love to know why I have to go into "Options" to turn the thing off now...

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Hah, yes! Though the feature has one unfixable flaw - if you've got a suspended game and a patch is released, you have to restart it. So last night when the GTA patch was pushed out I couldn't actually do anything and it got stuck in a weird loop trying to reconnect me to the Online servers.

Has anyone else tried out remote play? A friend has done a bit of maths and says there's a 48ms lag. Gameplay wise it's 1-2 frames behind on a 30fps game, and 3 frames behind on a 60fps game.

I use remote play PS4->PSTV. I heard it was closer to 100ms lag from some early study. Sony might have improved it by now with this latest firmware update. Lag is definitely noticeable on games that need precise timing, like Oli Oli. Works fine for most games though.

I would MUCH prefer lower latency than 60fps support. I haven't tried remote play with latest firmware update, but will post if I notice improved performance.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I would MUCH prefer lower latency than 60fps support. I haven't tried remote play with latest firmware update, but will post if I notice improved performance.
I think that 60fps option is the result of optimisation and there's a reduction in lag all round. There's certainly less lag now or at least playing on Vita connected directly to PS4. I still get a few moments where it loses stability, when that warning icon starts to flash.

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
Got the kit yesterday, and will likely do the upgrade next week. No time until then!

Seems like the biggest issue will be re-downloading everything to the new drive, so probably wise to do it before the 500GB is totally filled up.

Just have to make multiple copies of my BloodBorne saves-cannot lose the progress I've made!

Chris

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Got the kit yesterday, and will likely do the upgrade next week. No time until then!

Seems like the biggest issue will be re-downloading everything to the new drive, so probably wise to do it before the 500GB is totally filled up.

Just have to make multiple copies of my BloodBorne saves-cannot lose the progress I've made!

Chris

Yeah that was the biggest issue for me too. Unreal how big these downloads are especially when you factor in all the updates too. Took me forever to re-install my stuff too.

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
Yeah that was the biggest issue for me too. Unreal how big these downloads are especially when you factor in all the updates too. Took me forever to re-install my stuff too.

Do you know if I get the drive installed, I'm able to "one-click" download all my purchased games? Hoping I don't have to babysit this thing...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Do you know if I get the drive installed, I'm able to "one-click" download all my purchased games? Hoping I don't have to babysit this thing...

I had to go into store - my purchases and select all the games to download. Once selected they downloaded - but yeah was time consuming. No one click recover i'm afraid. Also many of my games were on disc, so I had to manually install them all again - and then go through the whole - download update - route.

PITA - but on bright side only have to do this once now as we have enough drive space not to worry about it later.

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
Wow...

That seriously took all of 10 minutes to do. I wish I could one-click everything, but the downloads are going, and it turned out I didn't even need to download the system software-it did it automatically.

Just setting things back up, but honestly, so easy to do-thanks for your help, and the inspiration to do it

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I had to go into store - my purchases and select all the games to download. Once selected they downloaded - but yeah was time consuming. No one click recover i'm afraid. Also many of my games were on disc, so I had to manually install them all again - and then go through the whole - download update - route.

PITA - but on bright side only have to do this once now as we have enough drive space not to worry about it later.

If you go far to the right on the main menu of the PS4 I believe there is something called "My Library" where it will just show you games you own. So you can redownload from there instead of finding them in the PS Store.

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
thanks for the advice, guys-it really went easily, and if anything, the system seems a little faster now. Not sure if the OWC kit includes a faster drive, but it seems so.

Wasn't too painful, and I'm glad I did it before running out of space on the old drive.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
thanks for the advice, guys-it really went easily, and if anything, the system seems a little faster now. Not sure if the OWC kit includes a faster drive, but it seems so.

Wasn't too painful, and I'm glad I did it before running out of space on the old drive.

Good job :). Thanks for keeping us posted.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Well, with the new update and leaving my console in suspend mode, it is at last updating itself as it should be perfectly fine. Although I have been playing a lot of Dying Light and suspending that game, and it has yet to update the game whilst its suspended.

But very happy with the new update.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Anybody had any issues since upgrading? My wifi won't work at all now. I've connected vie Ethernet (which is not altogether convienant as my Timecapsule is on a different floor of my house). It still took nearly an hour to upgrade.
Still can't get on the wifi and Ethernet speeds are pretty shocking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 129
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.