Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGuySean123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Hello,

I recently did a Hard Drive upgrade to my computer. I'm not the most computer savvy person. To make a long story short, I wiped the old boot camp partition off of my original HD because of a misunderstanding. I did back it up using Windows System Image tool before wiping it, so I do have a current back up of my Windows System in that format.

Unfortunately, I'm now finding the problem that when I try to use Advanced Startup to go to the recovery tools, that I'm unable to use them because it's not actually booting from the DVD or the USB Windows Recovery Environments.

I read through a thread on here about how WinClone is the most reliable method to do the kind of data migration that I had hoped to do.

My question is: now what can I do?

Thanks for your help!!

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Winclone was what you wanted but doesn't help now! Winclone makes an image which can be restored as a bootable partition in one step, all from the Mac side.

Windows System Image doesn't do this, but I think you can get to same end result in two steps.

I believe what you now need to do in principle is (step 1) a fresh virgin install of Windows from your disk or img.

THEN (step 2) use the back up and restore tool in Windows to restore from your Windows System Image.

I have never actually done this but have a lot of experience of Winclone, and followed threads from which I have gained the above understanding.

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Hello,

I recently did a Hard Drive upgrade to my computer. I'm not the most computer savvy person. To make a long story short, I wiped the old boot camp partition off of my original HD because of a misunderstanding. I did back it up using Windows System Image tool before wiping it, so I do have a current back up of my Windows System in that format.

Unfortunately, I'm now finding the problem that when I try to use Advanced Startup to go to the recovery tools, that I'm unable to use them because it's not actually booting from the DVD or the USB Windows Recovery Environments.

I read through a thread on here about how WinClone is the most reliable method to do the kind of data migration that I had hoped to do.

My question is: now what can I do?

Thanks for your help!!
Any success with this?

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
In case you used the genuine Windows image backup you need an emergency boot medium to restore the image. you should have made one. if you did not, find a friend using the same windows version to create this medium. boot from the medium and restore the windows image.

If you used a different tool, follow the instuctions for this tool.

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
In case you used the genuine Windows image backup you need an emergency boot medium to restore the image. you should have made one. if you did not, find a friend using the same windows version to create this medium. boot from the medium and restore the windows image.

If you used a different tool, follow the instuctions for this tool.

I used Microsoft. . I created recovery USB and boot from that, but then it wants to reformat my mac harddrive . I can click the exclude box to exclude that drive but it then fails telling me it needs to reformat the destination disk to continue. The bootcamp partition doesn't show up In the Exclude list. The drive size appears to be my mac drive minus the bootcamp partition. The box to uncheck the reformat is greyed out.

Any thoughts?
This isn't dire as i will eventually get to my 8.1 disk to reinstall & re activate then update to windows 10 and I did separately copy my windows files. But I'm challenged by the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.