Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I had my iPod touches replaced today at the Apple Store due to some battery issues.

My iPod was on 8.2. The replacement is on 7.0.2.

No my question is, should I update it to 8.2 or stick with 7.0.2 and Jailbreak?

I'm not sure what the benefits would be besides the fact that it will obviously be quicker on iOS 7 that on iOS 8.

It's used soley for music but I do like the customisation of a jail token device. The fact I can remove icons names etc.

What would you do?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I can't tell you what to do with your own device.

But for me, jailbroken but not current beats stock and current any day.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I had my iPod touches replaced today at the Apple Store due to some battery issues.

My iPod was on 8.2. The replacement is on 7.0.2.

No my question is, should I update it to 8.2 or stick with 7.0.2 and Jailbreak?

I'm not sure what the benefits would be besides the fact that it will obviously be quicker on iOS 7 that on iOS 8.

It's used soley for music but I do like the customisation of a jail token device. The fact I can remove icons names etc.

What would you do?

Id jailbreak on 7.0.2

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I'm leaning towards jail breaking.

More for the aesthetic. As because I can remove the animations which slow it down needlessly.

I had hoped it would be on 8.1.2 when I got it but didn't even think it would be on an iOS as old as 7.0.2.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Just to rant. I despise having to restore or set up an iPod.

I have 2800 songs to sync. I put it on around 2pm. It's now almost 8pm and it was only on 800.

Then an error message pops up saying my iPod can't be synced. So I unplug it and plug it back it and hit sync. And it starts again from scratch. I checked in 'about' and it shows there's 38 songs on there. So 6 hours to transfer 38 songs. That's just outrageous. At this rate it's going to take about five days to set my iPod up.

Why is it so slow?

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Decided to jailbreak so did that and had to restore today. So obviously lost the JB.

Couldn't get iTunes to actually sync my music. I wasted 9 hours yesterday. It said it had transferred all 3k tracks but only showed 4gb as being used.

When I click on a song it would just disappear and tell me no content. So it's either faulty or there's something wrong with this iOS.

Either way I've no option but to restore. If it's faulty and I need to return it then I have to restore anyway. So may as well see if a restore sorts the issue.

So now to wait patiently for the 8.2 JB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.