Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evren Carven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2014
I formatted my external hard disk accidentally and I lost everything I was skeptical to pay for a recovery software found a recovery software allows me to test with a demo, it recovered all my photos, but i do not preview them. The preview window displays unavailable. Is this mean my photos are gone? Is there someone have met the same problem and get the data back? Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd look into using one of those recovery services at this point.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote above:
[[ I was skeptical to pay for a recovery software found a recovery software allows me to test with a demo, it recovered all my photos, but i do not preview them. The preview window displays unavailable. Is this mean my photos are gone? Is there someone have met the same problem and get the data back? Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. ]]

That's the way the data recovery applications work.

First, you download the software for free.

Then, you run it on the problem drive.

The software scans and scavenges the drive, and assembles a list of all the files that it believes to be "recoverable". Usually, the program will give you the ability to save one (and ONLY ONE) file, as proof that it will work.

NOW, you have to pay the registration, get a code number, and enter it into the application to "go further".

You have gotten to "step three" above, and it looks like the program you're using has a good shot at recovering the files.

The next thing to do is pay the registration -- then you "go further".

Oh.... in the future, you need TWO COPIES of all those photos. That means TWO drives, a primary storage drive, and at least one backup drive...

Evren Carven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2014
Thanks for all your guys reply. After trying my best to do the recovery, I think these photos are gone. I will take care for my photos by using one backup drive in the future. As maflynn said, the last chance is to use a recovery service for my lost photos currently? Which is the best service I should use?

Evren Carven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2014
Did you try PhotoRec ?

It is free and works great.

Thank you Bruno09. I indeed tried photorec without further success. Photorec retrieved many photos to my another USB hard disk and when I open them with Preview there is nothing to display.

winkosmosis

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
Hawaii
Unless the drive was encrypted, your photos are recoverable. The data is still there. Stop using the drive until you figure out a good method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.