Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
When, I bought my laptop. I just plugged it in and it worked.
everything she needed was there. It just worked.

As someone who regularly uses a 2013 MBA and a Windows 8.1 desktop, I can say there are just as many "it just works" stories in favor of Windows.

Since you mentioned external displays, my son's Windows laptop and my wife's $200 Chromebook "just work" via HDMI out in our house. The Air? I'd Have to buy an adapter and there is a compatibility issue with my excellent Dell IPS monitor.

Also, I can't stand doing any real file management on the MBA. Moving files around in Windows Explorer is a dream compared to OS X. I like the Air a lot, but it's by no means effortless.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
I definitely think 8GB is the limit. I read through all the materials on Apple's site, and it is very clear that 8GB is it.

I actually think that is perfectly fine for today's usage. My concern is that I don't replace my equipment very often, and I think this will be a problem for me in two years when the latest OSX comes out and makes everything get slower.

I'm now looking at the Pro version for this very reason - I think it will be usable, longer.

Gorgeous machine, though. I think it will make a lot of people very happy.

Sean

It does look like a great machine. I have a two-year-old Macbook Air with an i7 and 8gb and it runs fine, I haven't done a ton of video work with it, but it handles photo editing and similar programs well. What I'd be more worried about with the new Macbook is overheating. I play Starcraft 2 on my Air sometimes and the fans spin up like a beast. No fans in this one is bound to cause trouble.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
This will be my wife's new MacBook. Her six year old MacBook Pro is just too slow. Great news!

PS
She will be happy. This will be her first Mac that is not a hand-me-down from me.

Are you sure that the new one will be noticeably faster?
(realy curious, as the benchmarks i could get my hands on are a bit intransparent when trying to compare new gear to anything older then 1-2 years)

jblongz

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
NYC
This new macbook seems to be aimed at minimalists who don't often use usb ports. Its perfect for a programmer/web developer who utilizes cloud storage services and does not require high performance cpu tasks.

Low-tech paraents are a good market too. How many people over 40 use peripheral devices with a laptop? Maybe the majority of users on this site, but the metrics change drastically when considering those who can afford a Mac worldwide.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Are you sure that the new one will be noticeably faster?
(realy curious, as the benchmarks i could get my hands on are a bit intransparent when trying to compare new gear to anything older then 1-2 years)

Yes.

There is no complaints about the usability of her computer. She will keep it as long as it works.

The slowness is during startup, launching an application, or getting and saving a file. This is due to the fact that my computer has a SSD and our main computer has a fusion drive.

So, yes the new MacBook will be faster and smaller for her.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Much of what is discussed here is a rerun of the discussions when Apple introduced Thunderbolt.

Namely:

Apple is very forward thinking. Thunderbolt will solve all your problems.

Just wait, Thunderbolt hubs will quickly come to market, Thunderbolt docks for laptops are just around the corner.

Thunderbolt is the future, anyone who argues otherwise is a deluded luddite.

One Thunderbolt port to rule them all. Thunderbolt will make USB 3 obsolete. (Luckily Apple hedged their bets by including USB 3 ports.)

Loudest argument: Trust Apple--they know what they're doing with Thunderbolt.

Years later, we all know about the expensive, barren and stagnant Thunderbolt landscape.

And now, Apple is killing off Thunderbolt with USB-C...

Soon, the marketplace will deliver all the USB-C dongles you need to solve the problem of having only one port.

Right?

I think this is fundamentally different. Lots of people would love to get rid of the two most common USB connectors. Time will tell.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Bold Choices likely to be controversial

I think like many folks, I was hoping for a new Macbook Air, with all its current capabilities, in a similar forma factor, but with a 12" retina display. That would be a safe and easy choice for me and for Apple. Not sure why Apple did not do that.

Instead we get a whole new animal. One packed with brand new and unproven design elements and technologies. Bold choices that are likely to be pretty controversial. More risk for Apple and a much harder choice for me.

Some folks are going to love it or hate it immediately based on specs or appearance or just opinion. Some folks are going to learn after release if its suitable or not based on practical reasons and usage.

From my perspective, I'm likely to try out a new Macbook. Love its looks and design. A bit worried about its CPU but I leave the heavy lifting to a desktop and don't need all that much power in a notebook. The single USB-C connector is going to initially be a PITA. The new AV dongle with HDMI, USBC, and USB along with other dongles I already have will suffice for everything but my Apple Thunderbolt Display. But as USB-C adapters, dongles and devices become ubiquitous (and I think they will over time), the promise is huge. Think a small power adapter with built in docking station functionality. think one small dongle with all your common ports on it. One common (open - not proprietary) connection that can eventually be used for anything and everything - that really is huge.

The safe bet is to wait til next years model to see how all the new design and technology elements play out. But without early adopters, that would never happen. So I'll embrace the change. See how it works. If it doesn't work for me, I'm sure I can find a buyer it will work for, and next years evolution may be the one for me.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
Very niche. Its not like an MBA is twice the size and too awkward to carry around. For a Lite Mac, its not cheap.

What of the iPad Pro 12"? That is probably just a large iPad. The MB12 is just a light featured, not cheap Mac. Seems a bit bizarre. IMO the word functionality has been lost on favour of lighter and smaller.

I paid NZ$3697 for a rMBP15, 8GB, 512SSD. This MB12 is NZ$2000. Poor value I feel.

Or a MBA11 4GB/256GB which is a far better Mac for NZ$1699, or a 13 for $1799. Or a Lite Mb12 for $2000???

No argument there. Way too much cash for way too little computer. My Mac is a late 2007 24" iMac, with every option they could stuff into it at the time. It's the oldest Mac available running Yosemite. I'll probably replace it next year with the current equivalent: a fully loaded riMac, with every option available. But then portability is not an issue with me (I have a 4G 128GB iPad air for that) and I can put all my money towards as much power as I can afford and need. I've never quite felt the need to justify the cost of a Mac Pro...

Ironically the Pro from 2007 apparently can't run anything newer than Lion or Mountain Lion, but I digress.

But there are those that will buy it, I think, anyways. I thought (and still think) the same about the whole Air line of MacBooks: too much for too little. But they sold (and are still selling). In droves. No matter what I think of the practicality of the new computer, I'm still impressed with Apple's accomplishment in building it. That's a lot of computer stuffed into a little wee package. It ain't much bigger than what the rumoured 12" iPad will be in a keyboard case and will be more capable, for a simliar price: you don't have a touch screen here, but you have bigger storage (probably) and some expandability, with adapters, for the USB-c port (memory card/thumb drives/SSDs/HDDs/optical drives/etc), something iOS devices have never had. In fact, throw a cell radio in it and it could replace my Air as my secondary, travelling "computer."

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
when Apple came out with Thunderbolt, the exact same arguments were made: dongles and adapters and docks will immediately come out, and will therefore save Apple's bacon.

Didn't happen. Too expensive, too proprietary.

Now, Apple is obviously abandoning Thunderbolt.

Instead of a multitude of Thunderbolt adapters coming out, all of a sudden we're getting a USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter. This is Apple's way of admitting that Thunderbolt wasn't catching on, had no traction, no future.

So, once again, we have predictions of loads of USB-C dongles and adapters that will once again, this time for sure, save Apple's bacon.

Sounds like Apple-pie-dongles-in-the-sky, doesn't it?

Some advice: if your use-scenario includes needing future dongles, don't buy the MB.

The new MB is designed for folks who would be perfectly happy with a retina iPad and a keyboard.

Apple is saying, look we've designed an iPad with a keyboard!

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
when Apple came out with Thunderbolt, the exact same arguments were made: dongles and adapters and docks will immediately come out, and will therefore save Apple's bacon.

Didn't happen. Too expensive, too proprietary.

Now, Apple is obviously abandoning Thunderbolt.

Instead of a multitude of Thunderbolt adapters coming out, all of a sudden we're getting a USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter. This is Apple's way of admitting that Thunderbolt wasn't catching on, had no traction, no future.

So, once again, we have predictions of loads of USB-C dongles and adapters that will once again, this time for sure, save Apple's bacon.

Sounds like Apple-pie-dongles-in-the-sky, doesn't it?

Some advice: if your use-scenario includes needing future dongles, don't buy the MB.

The new MB is designed for folks who would be perfectly happy with a retina iPad and a keyboard.

Apple is saying, look we've designed an iPad with a keyboard!

oh man, I don't think they'll abandon thunderbolt right out. They've got too much invested in it for their higher end products. The MacBook Pro currently has 2 and the Mac Pro is basically nothing but a Thunderbolt hub. (that is sarcasm)

there are entire companies and individuals who have already built their production resources around thunderbolt. its a great standard. it's just, way too costly, and way to controlled by intel to really gain mass market appeal.

This MacBook isn't intended for anyone who wants to do "heavy lifting". so it makes sense not to include the thunderbolt in it. It would even make sense to remove it from the MacBook Air in the future. But killing it from the Pro line would be way too alienating, considering the new Mac Pro is still fairly new and features it predominantly.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
granted, I used a whole lot of hyperbole...

but I assume you've seen the speculation/predictions that all of Apple's laptops coming out from now on will use USB-C?

gregvet

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Brighton, UK
We also have mobile needs that go beyond browsing and Facetime. I was hoping to use it for this: http://www.waves.com/audio-networking#live and this https://www.small-tree.com/solutions/audio

You have to exploring these links will give you an understanding of why the pros are so pissed. Please check them before dismissing our guidance.

After reading the comments here and exploring the Apple site, I now understand the target demographic for this device: It's a status-symbol netbook for life-coaches, noodle-armed hipsters, MBAs on the go, and people who buy lots of shoes. It's perfect to whip-out at the Rotary Club, it's perfect for checking Facebook before your next yoga class or open house showing when everybody else is using a mere iPad. It'll go great with your iWatch. :rolleyes:

Don't dis the pros just because we're disappointed. -We're also tender from the Mac Mini fiasco, so this burns our collective arses even more.

The good news? You can probably get a discount on the new Macbook if you dress as an extra from Portlandia or bring your Pilates mat. But I could be mistaken. ;)

One more thing: You're not going to be :coding on the go" with this machine and we both know it.

----------

:D A sharke-out, yes. :p These things tend to spread throughout product lines. When the old Macbook Air is kicking the ass of the new Macbook, that spells trouble with a capital, multicultural, gender-neutral :apple: Emoji.:rolleyes:

Looking for a 2010-2012 Mac Pro, but sellers are gouging and they know why.
:mad:

I don't know if I am alone in finding this, but I find the tone of your post borderline offensive. Why do you need to diss other Mac users just because they don't have the same needs as yourself?

I accept that if all mac laptops end up like the new MacBook you won't have a machine to use. I don't see that happening however. If all Mac laptops were MacBook pro's, then conversely I would probably not own one (I have the MBA 11" and value portability over power).

Not all Mac users are editing video or batch processing photos. We aren't all graphical artists, thank God. Some of us even have real jobs!

Last edited:

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
I'm late to the party, but I must say, I learned my lesson with apple on their MacBooks. I would never buy one ever again including this one. In 2012 when the 13.3 inch retina was announced, I purchased it immediately at best buy for $1700.00 cash for 13.3 8gb ram with 128gb Ssd. I hardly used it. The following year I decided to sell it and was shocked I could hardly get 1k for the same machine. I know this isn't apple fault but I realized apple laptops just don't have the same value they used to have. This "macbook" is a netbook or an ipad with a keyboard. People will buy it but it probably will get a redesign with TWO PORTS, just like the MacBook Air did in 2010. The desktops still have value but that is changing too especially with the Mac mini (which I own). I cannot see myself paying $1300.00 for this macbook or any macbook in the line up right now but that current MacBook Pro. The new apple model is: less for more.... :confused:

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I'm late to the party, but I must say, I learned my lesson with apple on their MacBooks. I would never buy one ever again including this one. In 2012 when the 13.3 inch retina was announced, I purchased it immediately at best buy for $1700.00 cash for 13.3 8gb ram with 128gb Ssd. I hardly used it.

Yeah that's totally Apple's fault...

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
I don't know if I am alone in finding this, but I find the tone of your post borderline offensive. Why do you need to diss other Mac users just because they don't have the same needs as yourself?

I accept that if all mac laptops end up like the new MacBook you won't have a machine to use. I don't see that happening however. If all Mac laptops were MacBook pro's, then conversely I would probably not own one (I have the MBA 11" and value portability over power).

Not all Mac users are editing video or batch processing photos. We aren't all graphical artists, thank God. Some of us even have real jobs!

Yes I'm not sure why certain posters think their particular needs when it comes to choosing a Mac should apply to everyone else.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
This new macbook seems to be aimed at minimalists who don't often use usb ports. Its perfect for a programmer/web developer who utilizes cloud storage services and does not require high performance cpu tasks.

Low-tech paraents are a good market too. How many people over 40 use peripheral devices with a laptop? Maybe the majority of users on this site, but the metrics change drastically when considering those who can afford a Mac worldwide.
I just can't get quite excited about this model and will be sticking with either the Airs or the rmbp purely for the port options based on need and affordability rather than what this model supposedly brings to the table. Personally I'd rather see more connection options than less and that goes for the ipad as well. Having said that I am sure that it will be a great success.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I think like many folks, I was hoping for a new Macbook Air, with all its current capabilities, in a similar forma factor, but with a 12" retina display. That would be a safe and easy choice for me and for Apple. Not sure why Apple did not do that.

Instead we get a whole new animal. One packed with brand new and unproven design elements and technologies. Bold choices that are likely to be pretty controversial. More risk for Apple and a much harder choice for me.

Some folks are going to love it or hate it immediately based on specs or appearance or just opinion. Some folks are going to learn after release if its suitable or not based on practical reasons and usage.

From my perspective, I'm likely to try out a new Macbook. Love its looks and design. A bit worried about its CPU but I leave the heavy lifting to a desktop and don't need all that much power in a notebook. The single USB-C connector is going to initially be a PITA. The new AV dongle with HDMI, USBC, and USB along with other dongles I already have will suffice for everything but my Apple Thunderbolt Display. But as USB-C adapters, dongles and devices become ubiquitous (and I think they will over time), the promise is huge. Think a small power adapter with built in docking station functionality. think one small dongle with all your common ports on it. One common (open - not proprietary) connection that can eventually be used for anything and everything - that really is huge.

The safe bet is to wait til next years model to see how all the new design and technology elements play out. But without early adopters, that would never happen. So I'll embrace the change. See how it works. If it doesn't work for me, I'm sure I can find a buyer it will work for, and next years evolution may be the one for me.

Yep. Why didn't they just add a retina display to the current MBA line? That's all they needed to do. This new machine is lacking in some key areas and like the iPad Air 2 is about lightness and form versus function so the latter suffers. It's a questionable value at $1300 bucks too. $899 or whatever seems to be the proper price point for a somewhat crippled machine.

I get that they want to move away from USB ports or whatever but you have to be backward compatible with extremely popular peripherals. You just have to.

To each their own but anyone spending $1300 bucks on one of these really ought to take a look at a refurbished MBP or something else altogether.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Yep. Why didn't they just add a retina display to the current MBA line? That's all they needed to do. This new machine is lacking in some key areas and like the iPad Air 2 is about lightness and form versus function so the latter suffers. It's a questionable value at $1300 bucks too. $899 or whatever seems to be the proper price point for a somewhat crippled machine.

I get that they want to move away from USB ports or whatever but you have to be backward compatible with extremely popular peripherals. You just have to.

To each their own but anyone spending $1300 bucks on one of these really ought to take a look at a refurbished MBP or something else altogether.

I've said this repeatedly in these threads, but I really think that Apple's overall strategy will make a lot more sense in another year or two. Lots of people are looking at this MacBook as the replacement for the Air. I'm not so sure that's the case. This is a new format of device, based on a newly available chip. While I'm not sure that the Air in its current form will see an update to a retina screen, I do think that within a relatively short time period we will see some new design based on the u-series chips used by the Air. It could be that they are waiting to coordinate with Skylake's release.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I dread the day the Pros get this treatment (if Apple goes down that path). I hold hope that the non retina pro will get another update at some stage so I have something to update to when my current non retina pro dies...

Ideally they'd use the Non Retina pro design and but a retina display in it. I'd love that. The retina pro is missing too many things for my uses.. including Firewire, Ethernet, battery light indicator, upgradable RAM, easily upgradable HD, sleep light, Optical Drive and the remote sensor.

Of course not everyone wants that, but apparently the non retina pro is still a really big seller for Apple.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Overpriced? Well, a 13" Air with 8/256 costs the same, so it's a choice. The MB provides a MUCH better display and is lighter; the Air is slightly more powerful and offers more ports.

That sounds like a reasonable decision matrix to me.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I think some people are missing the point in the new MacBook, there is a reason there is no moniker after the title no Pro, no Air just MacBook

The MacBook will eventually be seen as the entry level device, aimed at those who may need the functionality of a laptop but the portability of an ipad. The Air IMO will be re-invigorated and will probably take a similar form factor and be a middle road option between portability and power - maybe 2 USBC and possibly thunderbolt/HDMI where the Pro will be the powerhouse of the line with extra ports still having USB C but a few others also.

A three tier MacBook lineup similar to what will probably happen with the S iteration of the iphone (6C - entry level, 6S mid tier, 6S plus top tier) or the ipad (iPad mini, Ipad air, ipad Pro)

At present the cost is high, but the tech required to get the MacBook to operate is still new, so, maybe the prices will change when the lineup is reconfigured.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I think some people are missing the point in the new MacBook, there is a reason there is no moniker after the title no Pro, no Air just MacBook

The MacBook will eventually be seen as the entry level device, aimed at those who may need the functionality of a laptop but the portability of an ipad. The Air IMO will be re-invigorated and will probably take a similar form factor and be a middle road option between portability and power - maybe 2 USBC and possibly thunderbolt/HDMI where the Pro will be the powerhouse of the line with extra ports still having USB C but a few others also.

A three tier MacBook lineup similar to what will probably happen with the S iteration of the iphone (6C - entry level, 6S mid tier, 6S plus top tier) or the ipad (iPad mini, Ipad air, ipad Pro)

At present the cost is high, but the tech required to get the MacBook to operate is still new, so, maybe the prices will change when the lineup is reconfigured.

what about macbook makes it so expensive? and since we can be sure that the air (if it is continued) will get force touch and will get retina and comes in a 11" version as well how will the macbook get cheaper than the air?

i know its your speculations but since a 3 tier ipad lineup has not been announced and who knows what will happen with the iphone c but im not sure you can use those two to backup a 3 tier macbook lineup. of course if all 3 were to happen it would be consistency in numbers but apples share in the laptop vs smart phone or tablet is vastly different.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
Of course not everyone wants that, but apparently the non retina pro is still a really big seller for Apple.

I've heard of this to but going by the current price of the non retina pro (at least down here at the moment) I would expect the 13" Air to be a more tempting option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.