Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I Don't understand Tim Cook why does he just dump Beats and turn ITunes into streaming service the way it should have been. Seriously I miss Steve Jobs so much this crap would have never when he was around.

I don't think there's an emoticon or emoji for how laughable this is. Steve Jobs until the day he died raved about people wanting to own their music. He may have changed his mind now with iTunes sales dwindling, but don't act like Steve Jobs was some guy ready to turn iTunes into a streaming service.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
With jobs gone. Who in Apple would even put up a fight in these meetings? Tim....please.

----------

I don't think there's an emoticon or emoji for how laughable this is. Steve Jobs until the day he died raved about people wanting to own their music. He may have changed his mind now with iTunes sales dwindling, but don't act like Steve Jobs was some guy ready to turn iTunes into a streaming service.

You are correct. Though if jobs wanted to get a $7.99 deal, geez he would have put up an impressive fight, and those that crossed him, would have made his **** list :)

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
So, if the price goes back to $9.99 to meet the standard can we expect to see a free ad based version or is that still off the table?

I thought the idea was to make the service cheaper to get people in the door then close the option for free so that everyone paid something for the music.

An ad supported model kind of stinks and isn't viable long haul. $9.99 a month seems like a very fair amount to pay.

I pay that already for Spotify, and i bet Beats/Apple service will be a quality option too. it will be interesting to see service comparison.

Beats is sure to up their game.

----------

Offer us a better quality music stream for $9.99 a month. CD quality please.

if you want higher sound quality Try Tidal.

though they don't make it easy to sign up today.

http://tidalhifi.com/us/campaign/audio

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
nope. They will continue to find the next "big thing" and beat it into the ground until people are sick of it.

They will never learn that no matter how hard you try, an autotuned turd is still a turd.

music industry execs are a bunch of greedy bastards, worthy of having an upper-decker left for them in their bathrooms.

Haha!

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
I hope Apple doesn't screw this up too and comes with the "Apple themed Spotify"

They had the potential to reinvent the wearable watch and give importance to a lot of sensors, making sense of data, sleep tracking, heart monitoring and a bunch of other fitness/health things like rumoured but they just kind of mimicked Android Wear in an Apple way.

I just hope they don't go that way with the streaming service. Even if they're the same price I'd go with Apple's service because it would be native to my iPhone and Mac. User interface would be much more matching. I'd even pay extra if the entire iTunes catalogue was available.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
this whole exclusive to service xy BS is so stupid. no ones gonna pay for different services that do the same thing. itll just turn poeple to pirating once again. those labels never learn i swear

I agree. The widely available MP3 converters that grab audio from YouTube videos always does the trick. You are right though, didn't they learn from trying to rip people off with overpriced CDs that people WILL get what they want somehow for free if you overcharge? It's so easy too.

How DUH are they? Idiots. :rolleyes:

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
Very easy solution for Apple. Copy Amazon strategy of "LOSS LEADER" by selling it for $7.99. Pay the music labels 70% of $9.99 like Spotify is currently doing.

Price: $7.99
Royalties: $6.99

= $1.00 margin for Apple.

Likely will be a loss for Apple after overhead, server, staff are factor in but Apple can easily afford it. It's loose coins for Apple.

Maybe Apple is afraid shareholders will revolt over 10% margin when the standard is 30%.

When your service is selling for $7.99 and others like Spotify, Rdio, Google Music All Access, Youtube Key, Deezer etc...are selling it for $9.99, you GAIN MARKET SHARE.

Billboard article:

Apple would have to absorb the loss if it sets a price lower than the standard $9.99

It would be a REVERSE APPLE PREMIUM TAX in which Apple is giving back to the fans. Apple benefits by gaining market share in subscription music and fan loyalty.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
When Google Play All Access Music first came out, it was at $7.99 for a limited time. Maybe Apple can do something similar.

$7.99 for those who subscribe in the first six months. Apple will only get $1 margin from it but gain market share. Maybe get some Spotify users to defect. Win Win.

If Apple is feeling generous, this limited promo can be extended.

1 million subscribers at $1 instead of $3 margin would mean a loss of $2 each month. $24 a year per subscriber would mean $24 million loss if Apple can get 1 million to subscribe.

$24 million LOSS LEADER is chump change for Apple to kickstart Itunes Unlimited.

(YES, I'm pretty certain that will be the name).

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Likewise, too bad the 7.99 price is the only reason I would consider switching.

Same here. When I used the free 7-day trial of Beats last year, I was not impressed at all with their content compared to Spotify.

For now, I'll happily pay the $9.99 + tax for Spotify until Apple/Beats can somehow beat them on both pricing and content.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Same here. When I used the free 7-day trial of Beats last year, I was not impressed at all with their content compared to Spotify.

For now, I'll happily pay the $9.99 + tax for Spotify until Apple/Beats can somehow beat them on both pricing and content.

I think Spotify had such lead in the market that it's going to be hard to dislodge by outside companies like Apple. I mean when it first came to the US they borrowed a page from Apple's marketing book and made it invite only which boosted popularity for what at the time was a relatively unknown service here.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
I think Spotify had such lead in the market that it's going to be hard to dislodge by outside companies like Apple. I mean when it first came to the US they borrowed a page from Apple's marketing book and made it invite only which boosted popularity for what at the time was a relatively unknown service here.

invite is a marketing strategy that has been existent long before Apple existed.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
http://time.com/3759707/apple-beats-spotify/

Sources also told the Times that Apple, once considered the undisputed leader in music sales with iTunes, had recently failed to convince record labels to agree to a subscription cost of $8 per month, which would be $2 less than the price of Spotify’s paid tier.

Spotify pays about $7 in royalties and offer it for $10.
Apple can pay the same $7 in royalties and offer it for $8. LOSS LEADER if you will.

Apple win market share. For a new subscriber, it's a no-brainer.

Itunes Unlimited for $8 or Spotify for $10.

Unlike Spotify, Apple can afford the "loose change" losses.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
That's a shame.

Tidal is about to relaunch. They just cut their $19.99 service for HD FLAC streaming to $9.99 so whatever Beats was going to do with their lossy files for the same price is now rendered moot.

It's 2015, lossless stream should be the normal. MP3 was the solution when the internet first started. Too bad Apple refuses to think different.

You were dead before you were alive Beats. RIP Spotify.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Then most important thing is that Taylor Swift gets her billions so whatever they have to do to ensure Miss Prissy gets her way. :rolleyes:

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
"But Steve would have..."

"But Steve wouldn't have..."

Unless his death was faked, I think you're going to have to face facts, with all respect to Mr Jobs, HE IS NOT HERE ANY MORE.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
Maybe Apple could price it at $8.99.

Pay $6.99 in royalties and sell for $8.99. Not the typical Apple profit margin but it could gain market share when Spotify is selling at $9.99.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.