Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
Past: 1989 Jeep Cherokee
Present: 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Future: Only if Jeep makes a fixed metal roof solid axle model again.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
What's been your experience with Subaru. I've heard that they are great cars and that their owners can be quite passionate about them. In fact I've heard people compare Subaru folks to Apple folks on more than one occasion. :)

I have a 2015 WRX, and I've only had it for around 10 months, but it's been awesome. Hope to keep it for a long time.

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
Past: None
Present: 2004 Toyota Avalon
Future: ???

I'm just a lowly undergrad, and I was lucky enough to inherit this car from my parents. I didn't have a car in high school, and was only given this car a few months ago.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Present: 2004 Toyota Avalon

I'm just a lowly undergrad, and I was lucky enough to inherit this car from my parents. I didn't have a car in high school, and was only given this car a few months ago.

My Daewoo was a hand me down too, My mom bought it in 2000 and she gave it to me when i got my license in 2010. Her medical problems prevent her from driving.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Present: 2001 Daewoo Lanos
=========2001 Chevrolet Impala LS
Future: Dodge Neon or a DeLorean

Dodge neon is a real aspiration there :D , though I suppose a practical solution (unlike your other choice).

DeLorean is an interesting choice. I wouldn't mind having one of those in my collection. I don't think it would be very easy to use one as your daily driver though.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Dodge neon is a real aspiration there :D , though I suppose a practical solution (unlike your other choice).

DeLorean is an interesting choice. I wouldn't mind having one of those in my collection. I don't think it would be very easy to use one as your daily driver though.

The Neon replacement, the Dodge Dart, looks pretty nice.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Last: 2002 VW Passat
Now: 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid

I don't drive much every week in my current situation so I really am under no pressure to define my next vehicle just quite yet. I'll admit to having priced a BMW i3 recently though... :p

B

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Last car: 1998 Honda Civic HX CVT 2-door coupe
Current car: 2012 Honda Fit Sport four-door hatchback
Future car: current-model Honda Fit or the upcoming next-generation Honda Civic

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Past: 1989 Jeep Cherokee
Present: 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Future: Only if Jeep makes a fixed metal roof solid axle model again.

Well I think we know that's not going to happen. I miss my 2003 Grand Cherokee- it was the Limited, High Output V8, with quadra-drive. Back in the day that thing gave the BMW's and Mercedes a run for their money in straight line.

I'm looking to switch back to a new GC within the next 6 months to year. They're nice, but I'm concerned about the Fiat reliability/quality. I'm also annoyed at how many functions are solely controlled through the LCD.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Past: 2003 Cadillac CTS
Present: 2012 Cadillac CTS, just bought it in August last year.
Future: 3rd generation Cadillac CTS, hopefully after a long life out of my '12.

In case it's not obvious, I have a bit of a liking of Cadillac :p

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Past: 1999 Kia Sportage EX, 2004 Toyota Avalon XLS

Present: 2013 Mazda 3 i Touring (Skyactiv, 6-speed manual)

Future: ^ (If i can keep up with the car payments)

Wishlist: NISMO Nissan 350z, Ferrari 488 GTB

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN

I actually think a DeLorean would make a good winter-beater. Since the entire car is fiberglass you wouldn't have to worry about rust.
I would also get a Daewoo-Chevy such as a Aveo, Cruze, Sonic or Spark. Of course any late-model car would mean ripping out the Factory stereo as it would have useless features as well as disabling Airbags.

Last edited:

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I actually think a DeLorean would make a good winter-beater. Since the entire car is fiberglass you wouldn't have to worry about rust.
I would also get a Daewoo-Chevy such as a Aveo, Cruze, Sonic or Spark. Of course any late-model car would mean ripping out the Factory stereo as it would have useless features as well as disabling Airbags.

DeLoreans not exactly known for their reliability or practical ownership (especailly since the newest one is from 1983). They were manufactured for only 2 years, mostly because of quality issues and the fact no one bought them which created financial issues. So they're rare. Parts are actually not too tough to find or terribly expensive since they went out of business with a lot of parts on hand. There is a company that still manufactures parts for them and I believe the engines were sourced from another car company (Peugeot?). They're electrical nightmares from what I hear.

The entire car is not fiberglass... The interior shell/underbody of the car is fiberglass.
underbody2.jpg

The exterior is stainless steel panels*. It still has a steel frame. So yes, the body won't rust, but the frame still can rust, which is the biggest rust concern in anyways. If you're worried about asthetics, stainless steal doesn't allow for much repair, you'd really have to replace the entire body panel. You can't bondo it, easily paint it, remove deep scratches, etc.. and it scratches and fingerprints easily.

My neighbor growing up had quite a car collection, including a DeLorean for a while. It'd be a cool car to own, but not a practical daily driver.

What are the "useless" features of a radio in a new car?

EDIT: *Unless you get the gold plated edition ;)
EDIT #2: I just read the wikipedia page on the DeLorean DMC-12. Apparently they made fiberglass paneled DMC-12's for "training" purposes but were never marketed. Regardless, the frame will still rust.
Several hundred DMCs were produced without stainless panels, for training workers, and are referred to as "black cars" or "mules", in reference to their black fiberglass panels instead of stainless, though these were never marketed.

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Your Past, Present, and Future Car

Past: 1984 Toyota
904247ba5f0bcce5220d23e8bdf325d7.jpg

Present: 2015 Subaru
43627c501daa4e33ffe0332b99da7162.jpg

Future: Hopefully none. I dream of a world of fully autonomous cars, that are service listened, and pick you up when you need to travel/commute by hailing from smartphone app. And go charge, be serviced, answer other customers while you are doing whatever.

If that fails.
A lighter weight, Al bodied Wrangler, with a small 4cyl clean diesel and CarPlay.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky

Except for the fact that the steel Y-frame that supports the fiberglass body in DeLoreans has a horrible reputation for rusting out and literally causing the car
to buckle in the middle.

If I had one(which don't get me wrong-I'd love to have one and my owning one in the future is a very real possibility) it would strictly be a nice day, summer weather car. Of course, in the summer, you'd need to make sure the air conditioning was in good shape-those tiny roll-down windows don't let in much air, and you can't go around with the doors open.

A few years back, someone actually was selling stainless steel Y-frames commercially. As I recall, the frame itself was a few thousand dollars, and it would be a few thousand more to have it installed unless you have a lift and everything else needed to do the work yourself.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Last car: 1998 Honda Civic HX CVT 2-door coupe
Current car: 2012 Honda Fit Sport four-door hatchback
Future car: current-model Honda Fit or the upcoming next-generation Honda Civic

Alas, bad news: my Honda Fit is no more--a car ran a red light while I was making a left turn from a left turn lane in an intersection and completely destroyed the front end of the car. :( I may end up with either a certifed used 2012 or 2013 Honda Fit Sport or end up getting a new 2015 Honda Fit EX hatchback instead.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Alas, bad news: my Honda Fit is no more--a car ran a red light while I was making a left turn from a left turn lane in an intersection and completely destroyed the front end of the car. :( I may end up with either a certifed used 2012 or 2013 Honda Fit Sport or end up getting a new 2015 Honda Fit EX hatchback instead.

Sorry to hear about your car. Hope you're ok.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Sounds like your car did a great job of protecting you. I hope everything is okay and you find a fitting replacement for your fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.