Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pedro Pinto

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Viseu
Hello everyone. I got my iPhone for 2 years now. My battery, since 8.1.3 was draining so fast and I decided to order a new one through eBay. I've installed it but it seems that although it's not draining the way the other was, it's also draining fast. Is iOS 8.2 extreme massive for the iPhone?

Plus, I would like to get a proper instruction on how to re-calibrate the battery icon.

Thank you in advance,

Pedro, PT

Pedro Pinto

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Viseu
It's actually annoying. Sometimes (and this never happened) it turns off with 20% battery.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I've noticed that my 5 might be draining just slitely faster than it used to. If 8.2 is anything like 7.1 was, then the next update should fix it.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
If anything, iOS 8.2 seems to slow down the battery drain when my phone is on standby (I have a 5s). Compared to 8.1.2, it seemed that 8.1.3 did slightly increase the battery drain.

You might want to try recalibrating the battery by letting the phone drain all the way down, and then charge it completely back up without interruption.

You could also try restoring the phone as new, and then reloading your apps and data from a backup. Keep in mind that you can't judge anything about the battery life based on the first few days after an iOS update, because of all the background activity.

Pedro Pinto

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Viseu
Thank you for your answer. I already calibrated it and I've made an hard reset after. Let's see how it goes. Is there any site you recommend for ordering a new original/good battery?

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Thank you for your answer. I already calibrated it and I've made an hard reset after. Let's see how it goes. Is there any site you recommend for ordering a new original/good battery?

Pedro i ordered mine from ifixit europe and it was a really good battery. You pay a little bit more but you can be sure that you will get a new and really good one:).
Pagas mais mas vale mesmo apena!

danwestbrook

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Surrey, UK
Pedro i ordered mine from ifixit europe and it was a really good battery. You pay a little bit more but you can be sure that you will get a new and really good one:).

total agree don't buy a cheap one from ebay etc... If you can afford it go to the Apple store as there's no risk of you accidentally damaging anything :) and they also give the phone a full check before handing it back.

Pedro Pinto

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Viseu

It seems I've to follow the ifixit advice. I bought one from eBay but it seems it doesn't do the job perfectly. Have you ever tried one of these? :) abraço

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
My new iPhone 5S came with 8.2, and its battery life is slightly bit better than iPhone 4 (latest iOS 7)... My new 5S won't last more than 4 hours. However, standby battery life is pretty amazing.

I'm doing a little experiment with my iPhone to observe battery life. I want to call Apple to see if they can check my phone's battery for defect. I disable location-based alerts/ads, routing & traffic, automatic downloads, app refresh, etc. In total I have 12 apps using location services, and 14 apps using notification (2 messaging apps, 2 emails, 2 news apps). For this "experiment," I disabled LTE, and set brightness to around 20%. I will use my phone as I normally would, and see if it lasts up to 5 hours (apps I use frequently include calendar, Word, Gmail, OneDrive, iBooks and Safari). On my iPhone 4, it lasted more than 4 hours, and that's with auto brightness, 720p streaming on YouTube and heavy FB use...

Pedro Pinto

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Viseu
I can't even think on FB heavy use...

By the way, for the ones who had already replaced the battery, how can you remove that sticked adhesive which remains on the phone?

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
It seems I've to follow the ifixit advice. I bought one from eBay but it seems it doesn't do the job perfectly. Have you ever tried one of these? :) abraço

Yeah Pedro for sure go for it and buy the battery! I really can assure you that you won t do any mistake by buying from them a battery. It costs more than the ones on ebay, but they are trustful. I did this with an iphone 4 and 4s and they really changed a lot.

By the way my iphone 5 is on ios7.1.2 and the battery performance is amazing. So if you are struggling with some battery issues and you are still on warranty then just go and replace the iphone. Believe me they perform really good

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.