Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I did some tests on my 840 Evo. Pick some files (around 700MB each) that never moved after I apply the performance restoration tool.

Regular 300+MB/s reading. So, it seems not an issue for me at this moment.

Machines

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2015
Fox River Valley , Illinois
I did some tests on my 840 Evo. Pick some files (around 700MB each) that never moved after I apply the performance restoration tool.

Regular 300+MB/s reading. So, it seems not an issue for me at this moment.

Watch it like a hawk ... these degradation issues seem time based . First ones appeared only after a month of usage .

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
And someone on another forum suspect that the reading performance also affected by the temperature and he made the follow pics.

It seems the warmer the better.
5NjyAHS.gif

scrmtrey

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
So, are there any news about that issue ? Is it totally fixed ?

Does this issue only hit the older version (first on the market) or it is independent ?

Because i am planning to but two of these , both 250GB version (price has dropped and the need for more space).

Thanks for answers. (in the mean time, i will do more research)

Keter

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2015
So, are there any news about that issue ? Is it totally fixed ?

Does this issue only hit the older version (first on the market) or it is independent ?

Because i am planning to but two of these , both 250GB version (price has dropped and the need for more space).

Thanks for answers. (in the mean time, i will do more research)

I had a 250GB 840 EVO in my iMac. I experienced the data drift that others reported this prior year.

In early January I decided to run the firmware update via the ISO I burned to a CD. After about an hour the update completed. Performance seemed about the same until I decided to run the Secure Erase with the Samsung Magician software (must be done in Windows). After this process was completed the performance was restored to like new/out of box and remained consistent.

I would recommend buying the 850 EVO instead of the 840 EVO, they cost less or the same and they have a 5 year warranty.

scrmtrey

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
Thanks for reply.

I have decided to go with 850evo. Because 250gb version cost 130eur and i dont mind a liitle extra cost for stability, speed and to avoid such problems from 840evo.

ShawnF

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2014
Thanks for reply.

I have decided to go with 850evo. Because 250gb version cost 130eur and i dont mind a liitle extra cost for stability, speed and to avoid such problems from 840evo.

At least it is good to know the EVO 850 doesn't suffer the same issues as the EVO 840. Probably wait for the mSata version to be launched.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Haven't had an opportunity to do the firmware update due to lack of access to a Windows machine I can muck about with. My 840 is still getting ~150-190MB read and 250-300MB write so it's not a major issue bottlenecking my performance at present, at least.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
I thought I got mine about a year ago and the firmware was upgraded when I plugged it in to check

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I'm curious on this - on a freshly formatted drive, the issue won't still be there, would it? Also, I have a friend who bought my old computer and is now seeing about 15MBps reads and writes on the 840 Evo (250GB), despite numerous formats and trying the firmware update - is this how they die?

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
I'm curious on this - on a freshly formatted drive, the issue won't still be there, would it? Also, I have a friend who bought my old computer and is now seeing about 15MBps reads and writes on the 840 Evo (250GB), despite numerous formats and trying the firmware update - is this how they die?

Trimmed?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008

Samsung's tool freshens the data, but I wouldn't expect to see this on a new dataset. It's stale data that degrades in performance.

They also don't "die" of the issue they just lose performance on data that's old.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
My 500GB 840 Evo degraded...*sigh*

My 500GB 840 Evo degraded from 5GB/sec+ to 3-3.5GB/sec and that's with Rapid Mode caching enabled. I ran the restoration tool and it improved greatly although not to the 5.5GB/sec speed when it was new.

I have read some users are experiencing repeated degradation, GAH! At this point I would have to encourage other users to avoid any Samsung models affected by the issue, no matter how cheap they can buy one. Samsung really should replace the affected models with other offerings but as yet has not decided to do so. I would consider buying an 850 Pro but no other Samsung models.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010

It was trimmed at one point, but everything that I've seen in regards to TRIM vs. not TRIM would not mean that the drive would degrade to 15MBps read and write from "normal" speeds in the course of a week or two. Also, from my understanding, TRIM really helps performance with writing data (since it's clearing up blocks to be free for new use, allowing the drive to have to skip the step later), and it shouldn't affect reading data. Since he has both as incredibly slow, I doubt it's a TRIM/not TRIM issue nor the "old data" bug that Samsung is still trying to fix.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
My 500GB 840 Evo degraded from 5GB/sec+ to 3-3.5GB/sec and that's with Rapid Mode caching enabled. I ran the restoration tool and it improved greatly although not to the 5.5GB/sec speed when it was new....

That's great performance for a drive on a controller that peaks at most 750MB/sec :eek:

("B" means bytes, "b" means bits)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.