Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrccomputer

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2014
Elk River, MN
I got Yosmite on my Mac Pro 1,1 with a stock 5770. Works great, just waiting for my x5365's

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 1.34.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 1.34.04 PM.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

chackett

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2015
Wallingford, CT
Mine is on the optical Bay too... Maybe that's the clue... I'll try to move it on one of the main bays and see if the situation changes.

I was having this issue as well, with a home-brew fusion drive, on my 1,1 upgraded to the 2,1 firmware. My SSD and HDD are both in the main hard drive bay, though. Deleting the BootCaches.plist file in /usr/standalone fixed it for me. Make a backup of the file before you delete it, of course. Found this fix on a forum for computer lab admins where they were discussing freezes when booting Yosemite on (some) computers in the lab.

humann

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
Los Angeles
I was having this issue as well, with a home-brew fusion drive, on my 1,1 upgraded to the 2,1 firmware. My SSD and HDD are both in the main hard drive bay, though. Deleting the BootCaches.plist file in /usr/standalone fixed it for me. Make a backup of the file before you delete it, of course. Found this fix on a forum for computer lab admins where they were discussing freezes when booting Yosemite on (some) computers in the lab.

Thanks chackett, going to try this tomorrow.

luvdahack

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2015
North Texas
Thanks to PikeRalpha my antiquated MP 1.1 is seeing new life running 10.10.2. Dual screen support, several annoying glitches due to Lion have been solved. Here is a screen shot well, two shots. Upgraded CPU's a 5770 graphics card and a SSD in addition to 10.10.2 make a very useful machine. Thanks for making this possible and, yes, enjoyable. I found and used the donation link.

Attachments

• image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 105

mikeneko

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Hi,

I was using Yosemite for my Mac Pro 2,1 but started having problem.
I flashed my PC graphic card the other day and Yosemite launches with black apple logo but freezes randomly after launch.

Have you discussed a similar problem with other users before?
Do I need to reinstall or please let me know if there are any methods to fix this problem?

Thanks.

Regards,

KingKrab65

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2015
For some reason in my mac pro after installing everything it works up until I restart it for the first time. It goes all the way up to the login, and then I get the spinning beach ball that never ends. The specs are 4gb of ram, 2 dual core xeons and I still only have the x1900xt in it if that makes a difference. Also I'm using the prebuilt yosemite from the front page. Any help is greatly appreciated

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
For some reason in my mac pro after installing everything it works up until I restart it for the first time. It goes all the way up to the login, and then I get the spinning beach ball that never ends. The specs are 4gb of ram, 2 dual core xeons and I still only have the x1900xt in it if that makes a difference. Also I'm using the prebuilt yosemite from the front page. Any help is greatly appreciated

There are no drivers for the X1900XT so it makes all the difference. You will have to upgrade it if you wish to use Mavericks or Yosemite.

KingKrab65

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2015
There are no drivers for the X1900XT so it makes all the difference. You will have to upgrade it if you wish to use Mavericks or Yosemite.

So I change the gpu out for something supported and it should get past the spinning ball at the login? Sounds simple enough

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
So I change the gpu out for something supported and it should get past the spinning ball at the login? Sounds simple enough

Yes. There are lost of inexpensive options of you don't need a boot screen and go with a PC Card. If you want a boot screen look at a 2600XT, check MacVidCards' options.

sweetspud

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2015
AirPlay??

Forgive me if this has been asked!

Has anyone discovered a solution for activating AirPlay on our "older"/hacked Mac Pros??

bubez

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2007
Trieste, Italy

I tried to delete the bootcache.plist and the problem doesn't occur anymore. However I decided to investigate a little bit and with the help of a slow motion video taken with the iPhone I managed to capture the instant just before the first reboot.
b7cdaba12c197d3c77cc85442cf3daba.jpg

Apparently the problem is that boot.efi is not in the boot cache, prelinked kernel or something like that.
I played a little with kextcache but I haven't figured out how to solve the issue yet.

nikonratm

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2015
Installer Still Waiting for Root Device

Hiya, MacPro 1,1 w/ Radeon HD 5770 been humming along with Mavericks so I figured i'd give Yosemite a try.

I've seen this issue mentioned in the thread but no clear fix. After starting up to the pre-patched installer I get the loading bar for about 25% and then just get a gray screen (forever). Verbose mode gives me the "still waiting for root device" error message.

Thanks so much for any help!

chackett

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2015
Wallingford, CT
I tried to delete the bootcache.plist and the problem doesn't occur anymore. However I decided to investigate a little bit and with the help of a slow motion video taken with the iPhone I managed to capture the instant just before the first reboot.
Apparently the problem is that boot.efi is not in the boot cache, prelinked kernel or something like that.
I played a little with kextcache but I haven't figured out how to solve the issue yet.

Um, that was a little confusing. Are you saying that deleting bootcache.plist fixed your double boot issue? If so, great! And if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not sure what the bootcache.plist file is supposed to do, but I've been running without it for a month or two now with no apparent issues.

chackett

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2015
Wallingford, CT
Strange issue with Security Update 2015-003

I've been having a strange issue with the most recent security update for Yosemite on my MacPro1,1 (updated to 2,1 firmware, and also upgraded with a pair of X5365s and a homemade Fusion boot drive with a 240 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD). I'm running 10.10.2 with the PikeYoseFix daemon installed.

When I try to install 2015-003 (whether through software update, or by downloading the delta updater), I get installation errors. They're not very informative, unfortunately. The odd thing is, the build number of Yosemite has been updated to 14C1514, which I thought was the proper build number once the security update has been installed. Is there any other way to check to make sure the install went properly? If I wait a week or so, 2015-003 shows up in Software Update again but it (of course) still does not seem to install properly. Right now, I'm not sure if this is some sort of install log glitch or if the installation actually failed.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I've been having a strange issue with the most recent security update for Yosemite on my MacPro1,1 (updated to 2,1 firmware, and also upgraded with a pair of X5365s and a homemade Fusion boot drive with a 240 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD). I'm running 10.10.2 with the PikeYoseFix daemon installed.

When I try to install 2015-003 (whether through software update, or by downloading the delta updater), I get installation errors. They're not very informative, unfortunately. The odd thing is, the build number of Yosemite has been updated to 14C1514, which I thought was the proper build number once the security update has been installed. Is there any other way to check to make sure the install went properly? If I wait a week or so, 2015-003 shows up in Software Update again but it (of course) still does not seem to install properly. Right now, I'm not sure if this is some sort of install log glitch or if the installation actually failed.

If the installation fails you will get a notification when the computer reboots. At least that has always been my experience. Your build number is correct for the 2015-003 security update.

chackett

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2015
Wallingford, CT
If the installation fails you will get a notification when the computer reboots. At least that has always been my experience. Your build number is correct for the 2015-003 security update.

Yeah, that's exactly what happens. After the reboot a notification pops up saying some updates did not install properly. If I use the downloadable installer it fails and says to contact "the manufacturer of the software ". I found that amusing.

Odd that the build number updated anyways. Hopefully 2015-004 will install properly when it comes out. Or 10.10.3 will render it moot.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Yeah, that's exactly what happens. After the reboot a notification pops up saying some updates did not install properly. If I use the downloadable installer it fails and says to contact "the manufacturer of the software ". I found that amusing.

Odd that the build number updated anyways. Hopefully 2015-004 will install properly when it comes out. Or 10.10.3 will render it moot.

The build number is just in a plist file.

bubez

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2007
Trieste, Italy
Um, that was a little confusing. Are you saying that deleting bootcache.plist fixed your double boot issue? If so, great! And if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not sure what the bootcache.plist file is supposed to do, but I've been running without it for a month or two now with no apparent issues.

From what's inside, I guess it is useful only for speeding up the boot time by caching the kernel and used extensions, and I think is sorta required for file vault environments, so you're safe by running without it.

KingKrab65

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2015
Yes. There are lost of inexpensive options of you don't need a boot screen and go with a PC Card. If you want a boot screen look at a 2600XT, check MacVidCards' options.

Please forgive all the questions as I've really never worked on a Mac before, I got one for $100 and I'm trying to get it to stop overheating (Successfully I might add, once I get rid of the x1900xt that has the overheating issue). But when I get the new GPU do I just plug it in? Or will I need to reinstall to get to a workable desktop, install the Mac Fix drivers then shut down put the GPU in and start back up?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Please forgive all the questions as I've really never worked on a Mac before, I got one for $100 and I'm trying to get it to stop overheating (Successfully I might add, once I get rid of the x1900xt that has the overheating issue). But when I get the new GPU do I just plug it in? Or will I need to reinstall to get to a workable desktop, install the Mac Fix drivers then shut down put the GPU in and start back up?

I had nothing but problems with the X1900XT when I first got my MacPro. Apple ended up replacing it three times under warranty till I finally convinced them to upgrade me to the 8800GT for free. Never had any more issues.

As far as a new GPU most PC Nvidia cards will work out of the box. Only the newer Maxwell based cards (GTX 750/750ti/960/970/980) require the NVIDIA web drivers. The GTX 780 might as well but that card requires more power than the Mac Pro can deliver stock anyways. You can pickup a GTX 570 on eBay for pretty cheap these days and that card is still pretty powerful and will work without the web drivers so just plug it in. Depending on the card you will need to get an additional PCIe power plug since I believe the X1900XT only uses one 6pin. Another option would be a GT 610 ($30-40) not very powerful though but works fine with Yosemite. Neither of those options will give you a boot screen though. If you want the boot screen when you hold option immediately after the startup chime then you will need an EFI based card like the 2600XT.

chackett

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2015
Wallingford, CT
From what's inside, I guess it is useful only for speeding up the boot time by caching the kernel and used extensions, and I think is sorta required for file vault environments, so you're safe by running without it.

Ironically enough, given what I said above, it looks like I'm having issues with the most recent security update BECAUSE I've deleted the /usr/standalone/bootcaches.plist file - the install log shows an abort because the installer can't find this file. I don't use FileVault, but it's probably not a good idea to hose security updates. So I'm going to reinstall the bootcache file - that will presumably allow the update to install. Given how rarely I reboot, I guess I can live with the double-boot startup (although it does annoy me on an abstract level). Looks like the best solution is, like you're trying to do, figuring out what's wrong in the bootcache file or with the overall system setup and fixing it. Probably something to do with running Yosemite on an unsupported fusion drive. Figuring that out is way above my skill level, however.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.