Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
My Macbook was used beyond the "You are now running on reserve battery power" until it shut down, now I cannot seem to get it to charge back up.

Plugged the charger in and the magsafe light was barely visible, then it came up bright as normal thern dropped back to barely visible where it has stayed.

Has the battery been ruined after letting it use its reserve power ?

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
It might be your connection. My old macbook (late 2008) has a bad connection to my magsafe charger in that I have to sometimes plug and replug the magsafe part until I get a light.

A test to see if it's your charger is to take the battery out (if it is a macbook in which you can do that) and try to turn it on. Your computer should be able to run on electricity alone without the battery.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
It might be your connection. My old macbook (late 2008) has a bad connection to my magsafe charger in that I have to sometimes plug and replug the magsafe part until I get a light.

A test to see if it's your charger is to take the battery out (if it is a macbook in which you can do that) and try to turn it on. Your computer should be able to run on electricity alone without the battery.

Its a Macbook, took the battery out still no go, dim green light on Magsafe machine will not start, and I know the charger is OK tried it in another machine and it works fine.

Battery out in and out with the Magsafe machine suddenly booted up but the fans going at a crazy speed, and still dim green light on the Magsafe, machine will not sleep when closed either.

Shut machine down, turn it back on still dim green light and boots up with fans going crazy.

Last edited:

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
Its a Macbook, took the battery out still no go, dim green light on Magsafe machine will not start, and I know the charger is OK tried it in another machine and it works fine.

Then it is not your battery, I guess it is your power connection on the computer side. You might want to see if you connector on your Macbook is clean. Also, sometimes turning my connector 180 degrees helps or sometimes letting the magnet click it into place forcefully works.

I'm not sure what you could use to clean the connector part on your macbook except a q-tip. But I have now idea what solution would be safe if any.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Then it is not your battery, I guess it is your power connection on the computer side. You might want to see if you connector on your Macbook is clean. Also, sometimes turning my connector 180 degrees helps or sometimes letting the magnet click it into place forcefully works.

I'm not sure what you could use to clean the connector part on your macbook except a q-tip. But I have now idea what solution would be safe if any.

Cleaned all that, I am thinking logic board ?

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
Cleaned all that, I am thinking logic board ?

Perhaps.. you have reached the end of my knowledge on this and I pass it on to someone more computer savvy. My next suggestion would have been that you curse and yell at it for a while and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, save your money for a new MB.:p

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Perhaps.. you have reached the end of my knowledge on this and I pass it on to someone more computer savvy. My next suggestion would have been that you curse and yell at it for a while and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, save your money for a new MB.:p

I was thinking that :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.