Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I seem to remember reading prior to getting C1 that by keeping my originals external to C1 and building my library inside C1 I would on startup be able to browse and even edit my images without the external HD my primary images are on being connected.

I think that is 'referenced'?

Yes/No - what have I missed?

Thank you

Sharkey

Yes, I think you're right, but I don't use referenced images or sessions, all of my images live in the catalog so I'm not familiar with the details of it.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
I seem to remember reading prior to getting C1 that by keeping my originals external to C1 and building my library inside C1 I would on startup be able to browse and even edit my images without the external HD my primary images are on being connected.

I think that is 'referenced'?

Yes/No - what have I missed?

Thank you

Sharkey

Try this link and browse down to "offline browsing". It might answer your questions.

http://help.phaseone.com/en/CO8/Library/Catalogs.aspx#item17

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
OK - so I did it wrong.

All my images are referenced where the originals are stored!

So no offline browsing for me :mad:

Will I have to reload my library (having deleted what is there) or is there a work around to get where I want to go?

Thank you

Sharkey

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
All my images are referenced where the originals are stored!

Not sure why this isn't working for you, if you are running a referenced catalogue and the drive containing the originals is offline you should still be able to browse the catalogue as it holds thumbnails and image info to do so, it should just flag the images as "offline".

What do you have showing in the "Folders" section of the library tab?

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Screen shots

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-28%20at%2000.10.42_zps3aeu0kne.png
Not sure why this isn't working for you, if you are running a referenced catalogue and the drive containing the originals is offline you should still be able to browse the catalogue as it holds thumbnails and image info to do so, it should just flag the images as "offline".

What do you have showing in the "Folders" section of the library tab?

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-28%20at%2000.09.47_zpsotrlbdq2.png
[/IMG]

Obviously the black one is C1 and the other is the files on the HD.

What do you think?

Thank you

Sharkey

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
...and if you unmount the drive they are on?

Does the whole folder structure disappear from C1 or does it simply lose the green "online" label and show "offline" on any images you select?

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
I cannot unmount the drive when C1 is running and if I try and start C1 without the HD on line it just tells me that I need to browse for a suitable library.

So I guess the C1 files on the HD are my thumbnails and are not available when the HD is absent.

I must have chosen this option when loading the libraries. Dumb or what??

So I have to reload the library (having deleted completely first).

This is probably why when browsing I am getting a slight delay between photos..
The thumbnails being on the same HD as the originals. It would be a lot faster if the thumbnails where on the internal SSD of my MP so might be worth the effort of a reload.

Let me know if you think I am on the right track please.

Thank you

Sharkey

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Where is you C1 Catalogue file? That must be on a mounted drive, if that is also on the external HD then you will get what you describe.

You should be able to copy the Catalogue file onto you internal drive, then disconnect you external drive, then load that catalogue, it should still correctly know where the referenced files are held.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Where is you C1 Catalogue file? That must be on a mounted drive, if that is also on the external HD then you will get what you describe.

You should be able to copy the Catalogue file onto you internal drive, then disconnect you external drive, then load that catalogue, it should still correctly know where the referenced files are held.

Oh, b****r. Couldn't wait and deleted the C1 files and tried to reload catalogues in the right place.

Now for reasons I am yet to discover I am not getting sub folders.

The box is ticked for them but all I get is a giant single catalogue all mixed up images. Boo Hoo!

Lost patients last night and starting again now. 13.00 hrs Sunday

Regards

Sharkey

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Made a clean Install of C1 & updated to 8.2 so that I can start from scratch.

All sorts of odd greyed out files and catalogues that should not exist (no point in going in to that) as all gone now:)

I have contacted C1 for help and will start again when they respond.

I may take a screen shot of each stage so that I can show what I do to whoever can help.

Really do feel like a "D**k H**d" at the moment. Have never been this lost this early in a piece of software; I know it must be a simple omission on my part but having previously run C1 without hassle it is getting me down A LOT!:mad::mad:

Regards

Sharkey

----------

Had multiple catalogues (1/year) and yes all on the ext. HD..

See my other post for out come after trying your moving them suggestion. They all moved and after importing to C1 had only one or two images in each file despite thousands appearing in the progress bar - Hence my restart from scratch. No matter what I did it just got more & more muddled.

You where right and I thank you for the info.

Best leave me to the C1 boffins as this kind of madness is contagious ;);) and you really don't want to catch whatever it is I have;):)

Regards

Sharkey

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Made a clean Install of C1 & updated to 8.2 so that I can start from scratch.

All sorts of odd greyed out files and catalogues that should not exist (no point in going in to that) as all gone now:)

I have contacted C1 for help and will start again when they respond.

I may take a screen shot of each stage so that I can show what I do to whoever can help.

Really do feel like a "D**k H**d" at the moment. Have never been this lost this early in a piece of software; I know it must be a simple omission on my part but having previously run C1 without hassle it is getting me down A LOT!:mad::mad:

Regards

Sharkey

----------

Had multiple catalogues (1/year) and yes all on the ext. HD..

See my other post for out come after trying your moving them suggestion. They all moved and after importing to C1 had only one or two images in each file despite thousands appearing in the progress bar - Hence my restart from scratch. No matter what I did it just got more & more muddled.

You where right and I thank you for the info.

Best leave me to the C1 boffins as this kind of madness is contagious ;);) and you really don't want to catch whatever it is I have;):)

Regards

Sharkey

Easy done - I'm sure you've worked it out but the C1 catalogue must be on a mounted drive even if your referenced files are on an unmounted, it is the Catalogue that is the "brain" of C1...

Hope it gets straightened out for you :)

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Instructions Received & Understood & They Work!

A man at Phase One has looked at my paranoiac ramblings and deduced where I was doing it wrong. BLESS HIM!!! I haven't.

Anyway following his instructions I now have my first referenced file installed on my MacPros internal SSD with the originals still on the external HD..

I still have no idea what I was doing wrong and will now cease to care.

Thank you all for your help.

If anyone wants the definitive method for creating this set up just let me know!

Regards

Sharkey

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
A man at Phase One has looked at my paranoiac ramblings and deduced where I was doing it wrong. BLESS HIM!!! I haven't.

Anyway following his instructions I now have my first referenced file installed on my MacPros internal SSD with the originals still on the external HD..

I still have no idea what I was doing wrong and will now cease to care.

Thank you all for your help.

If anyone wants the definitive method for creating this set up just let me know!

Regards

Sharkey
The guy walked you through it and you still don't know what was wrong? :eek:

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Screen%20Shot%202015-04-01%20at%2020.54.56_zpsw4ogvgpt.png

The guy walked you through it and you still don't know what was wrong? :eek:

Lateral thinker he was. Decided trying to analyse my method interminable was a fruitless task and that a simple method in print would be best.

It worked and I am happy.

Neither he nor I know what I was doing wrong but so what.

His instructions did the trick.:D

I suppose analysis may have provided the solution to my problem BUT when and after how much frustration? I was already tearing the hair and grinding the teeth.

In this case ignorance is bliss.;)

Regards

Sharkey

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Great thread. C1's image quality is excellent and I may want to migrate over from Aperture. But, can I do this:

Aperture has all my photos under "Photos" in its library and many folders and albums and on and on.

Can those Photos alone, no projects, albums, etc, be brought over to C1 into a similar space, all together in one place?

Would the adjustments already made to them stay intact?

Could albums (not the official name probably) be manually created and named, and the photos dragged into them manually?

Would I be able to click onto those albums, see all the photos in them, and work on them as needed?

Would those changes be reflected on the images in "Photos"?

Would deleted images disappear both from the "album" and "photos"?

Images could be dragged from one "album" to another, the ones in "A" being removed from it as they go to "B"?

Would subsequent downloads from a camera then be added to the "Photos" to await editing and being assigned to albums?

I can do this because I am not a prolific shooter and am a ruthless deleter. I don't have that many photos, am not under a professional's time constraints and just like manual stuff.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Would the adjustments already made to them stay intact?

Moving adjustments to raw images between two different editing programs from two different companies is a huge problem. What happens if the current editor has a parameter the future editor does not? What happens if the current editor does not have parameter that the future editor does have? What happens when both editors have a parameter by the same name....but they use very different algorithms behind that common name. Bottom line, there are no image editing parameters that are guaranteed to be the same between two different editing programs.

The raw image itself would used by both editors. And the future editor can likely see and use any data changes you made in the EXIF fields. But editor A and editor B may not be 100% compatible with the edits made in sidecar files or in DNG files. If you need to save the image edits so that they can be seen in the new editor, you may need to export as TIFs in the current editor and import bot the original raw file and the TIF version into the new editor.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Great thread. C1's image quality is excellent and I may want to migrate over from Aperture. But, can I do this:

Aperture has all my photos under "Photos" in its library and many folders and albums and on and on.

Can those Photos alone, no projects, albums, etc, be brought over to C1 into a similar space, all together in one place? <snip>

Two options:

Firstly Capture One has an Aperture Library Import facility, you can try that. I couldn't use it as although I had been using Aperture for some 3yrs, my library was originally an iPhoto library and although upgraded to a unified library for the latest Aperture and iPhoto to both access, it meant the Capture One import utility would recognise it :-(

Secondly you can use the Aperture Export facility to convert the Aperture Projects to Folders, then import these into Capture One as referenced files. This is what I did. You Could easily pool the images into one folder before import into Capture One. I found the better image processing of Capture One meant I re-processed all 65k images on import so my import took about 3 days :) This method bakes in the Aperture adjustments if you select variants, ignores them if you export originals. I exported originals and reprocessed on import into Capture One by automatically applying a Capture One Style.

Best is to setup a test for yourself while you have Capture One on trial. Have 5 folders, each with one image in. Then import those into Capture One in various ways to see what you can achieve.

I did a hybrid approach, I have 2004-2014 (my legacy Aperture images), as referenced files in Project-named folders, then on these I have Capture One Smart Albums by Year. 2015 images I have held inside Capture One's Catalogue (so non-referenced), using albums to organise them.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Thanks for the answers.

It appears that I might just have to experiment and see what happens. Maybe just drag some photos out of Aperture Photos off into a desktop folder and then select them for import into C1. If that works, then just keep doing that. Perhaps in that way C1 would simply import them as they are, a bunch of pixels without caring how they got that way.

The reason to take them out of Aperture and use a desktop folder would be to make it seem like a new import, like it was out of a camera, without perhaps confusing metadata and editing history. Does that make sense?

JimJimJiminy

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
Made the Switch, No Looking Back

I am pleased by the continual improvements to C1 and have been using it exclusively for over six months.

I have yet to tackle the task of converting my Aperture libraries... haven't even tried. I've got to do it though, anybody have any experience?

My next venture is to get a PhaseOne camera.. perhaps crowdfunding will work!

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
The reason to take them out of Aperture and use a desktop folder would be to make it seem like a new import, like it was out of a camera, without perhaps confusing metadata and editing history. Does that make sense?

Then simply export originals from Aperture to a folder of choice. Then import into Capture One, that will be exactly like a fresh import from a new "camera".

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks for the answers.

It appears that I might just have to experiment and see what happens. Maybe just drag some photos out of Aperture Photos off into a desktop folder and then select them for import into C1. If that works, then just keep doing that. Perhaps in that way C1 would simply import them as they are, a bunch of pixels without caring how they got that way.

I would not recommend that approach. You will essentially be transferring your exported versions, rather than your originals.

It is kind of like the film days of transferring your prints, but not your negatives... i.e.: you are leaving most of the information behind.

/Jim

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the answers.

As mentioned you will be pulling in the edited versions and not the originals, if that's your intent, that's fine, but make sure you keep the Masters in Aperture available and not delete the app or the library so you can still go back to the originals.

Personally, I'd not go this route, but that's just me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.