Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poweryn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
Hello,

I have a macbook pro with an HDD that I want to replace with an SSD that I had from my previous mac, is it safe to replace it directly knowing that it not empty and it has a Yosemite installed it it?

bits

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2015
I did replace the Mac mini - Macbook Pro - Macbook Pro (older) multiple times and nothing happened, everything works fine. The only thing you can do is reset smc/pram. Probably it is recommended a fresh install, but it also works well when you don't have time.

This is the advantage OS X, when your computer fail, you can just replace disk (Windows never works in this way).

poweryn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
I did replace the Mac mini - Macbook Pro - Macbook Pro (older) multiple times and nothing happened, everything works fine. The only thing you can do is reset smc/pram. Probably it is recommended a fresh install, but it also works well when you don't have time.

This is the advantage OS X, when your computer fail, you can just replace disk (Windows never works in this way).

Can you please tell me about smc and pram since I have no idea what they represent, also when should I reset them before replacing or after? Thank You!

bits

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2015
Can you please tell me about smc and pram since I have no idea what they represent, also when should I reset them before replacing or after? Thank You!

I don't think this is an important thing, but it can be done after replacing the disk ;)

You can read all information in official website:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201295
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

I did not make this always after changing drive, so everything should work fine. Don't worry, you can normally turn on your mac after replacing disk.

poweryn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.