Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
Having this same exact problem. PPP connection dropping continuously throughout the day on a BT connection. Anyone got a solution yet?

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
What AirPort are you using?

I'm using the latest "flat white" model. I actually have two, and both have the same issue. Do the tall ones not have this issue? If not, I'll upgrade.

edit: I also get a weird error whenever I try to access Gmail. It always says "we've detected a slow internet connection" and tries to load the simple HTML version on all my devices. My internet connection, however, runs superfast in speed tests!

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I'm using the latest "flat white" model. I actually have two, and both have the same issue. Do the tall ones not have this issue? If not, I'll upgrade.

edit: I also get a weird error whenever I try to access Gmail. It always says "we've detected a slow internet connection" and tries to load the simple HTML version on all my devices. My internet connection, however, runs superfast in speed tests!

Try downgrading to the 7.6.1 firmware and seeing if PPP drops still.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
How do I do that?

Do the latest tall AirPorts have these issues?

I have not heard any reports of any issues along those lines in the new 6th generation models. To downgrade simply open AirPort Utility on a Mac, select your base station, hold OPT and click on the version number and choose "7.6.1".

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
I have not heard any reports of any issues along those lines in the new 6th generation models. To downgrade simply open AirPort Utility on a Mac, select your base station, hold OPT and click on the version number and choose "7.6.1".

Fantastic, thanks for your help! I need an excuse to upgrade to .ac anyway :)

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
No clue on that! Definitely report back on if it fixed it.

So the firmware downgrade fixed it. However, I went out and bought a new 802.11ac AirPort Extreme and on the latest firmware the issue still persists, albeit dropping less frequently. It's going back to the shop!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So the firmware downgrade fixed it. However, I went out and bought a new 802.11ac AirPort Extreme and on the latest firmware the issue still persists, albeit dropping less frequently. It's going back to the shop!

Hmm. 7.6.1 on the older N devices and 7.7.3 on the AC models has been spot on so far for me.

swedish.chef

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2015
After experiencing this issue I googled and found this thread. I signed up to comment here. I am also having the issue with dropped connections over bridged mode using PPPoE on the AEBS.

I have:
Airport Extreme Base Station model A1143
Motorolla 3360 modem

This morning I downgraded my 7.6.4 firmware to 7.6.1 and so far no disconnects yet.

swedish.chef

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2015
Did you perform a factory reset after installing the 7.6.1 firmware? Is the AirPort in Bridge Mode or DHCP & NAT mode?

No, I didn't perform a factory reset. I decided to just go and get a basic Netgear modem that had routing built-in. Now I am using my AEBS in bridge mode and everything is working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.