Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Another bezels less phone. This time by OPPO

oppo-phone-2.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/oppos-upcoming-phone-scorns-bezels

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Wouldn't your palm keep touching the screen. And is that the final product? I know people are into bezel-less phones right now but I don't know, I don't find it a good looking phone.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
side bezels on iPhone are fine. Top and bottom could be smaller for sure.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hint of things to come for the one plus two?

That's exactly what I was thinking too! I was just trying to find something to link it with OPO. They are joined at the hip so I think we might see something similar from OPO

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I don't consider that to be "bezel-less" or at the very least AS bezel-less as the Sharp. ;) It really doesn't look much different than other phones IMO. IIRC HTC produced a phone that looked very similar to that.

Wouldn't your palm keep touching the screen. And is that the final product? I know people are into bezel-less phones right now but I don't know, I don't find it a good looking phone.
Nope. I' own the Sharp Aquos and I haven't had any problems because of a lack of bezel. But for anyone interested in similar phones and are concerned, I recommend that they try handling them in a store to see how it works or doesn't work for them.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
The Sharp screen to body ratio is 78%. This one doesn't appear to by that close to tell the truth.

This is outdated but the leaders back then:

http://08-08-08.com/2014/09/12/ultimate-screen-to-body-ratio-comparison-ifa-2014/

My Nexus 6 is about 72%.

I think this is about where the bezels are. I don't think you can really avoid top and bottom bezels, as you need them for camera, sensors, speakers, and mics. The side you can do without.

The Sharp Aquos is cool n all, but having to turn it up side down to take a pic is kinda strange.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think this is about where the bezels are. I don't think you can really avoid top and bottom bezels, as you need them for camera, sensors, speakers, and mics. The side you can do without.

The Sharp Aquos is cool n all, but having to turn it up side down to take a pic is kinda strange.
I've never had to turn it upside down to take a picture... ah, for selfies... well, it isn't any stranger than having to rotate any phone 90 degrees to take a landscape picture... unless you're one of those who takes portrait oriented photos. ;) :eek:

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I've never had to turn it upside down to take a picture... ah, for selfies... well, it isn't any stranger than having to rotate any phone 90 degrees to take a landscape picture... unless you're one of those who takes portrait oriented photos. ;) :eek:

At least I don't take portrait oriented videos haha

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
lol that phone looks like what the iphone 6+ really should look like.

OTOH, it'd crack if you looked at it funny.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Thanks to Sharp for starting a trend. Samsung will likely start one with the S6e. I don't like bezel-less. I tried it for two weeks with the Aquos Crystal and it isn't for me. I might be also be losing interest in the coolest looking smartphone of 2015, S6 edge, as well.

I think the Note 4 or Nexus 6 is more practical for me. I believe the Note 4 is still the best all-around device out there. I try to justify not having an SD slot or swappable battery but that usually becomes a problem as time goes on. I need SD slot more and more now. Tired of downloading videos which can be large files and then transferring them to the computer or phone with a memory card. Videos are at 360p but I have many random ones that can reach 100 MB per file. Once the smoke clears, the Note 4 might still be the best all-around Samsung out there. No screen design gimmicks. Just fundamentally sound, versatile features that will get more useful and needed over time.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks to Sharp for starting a trend. Samsung will likely start one with the S6e. I don't like bezel-less. I tried it for two weeks with the Aquos Crystal and it isn't for me. I might be also be losing interest in the coolest looking smartphone of 2015, S6 edge, as well.

I think the Note 4 or Nexus 6 is more practical for me. I believe the Note 4 is still the best all-around device out there. I try to justify not having an SD slot or swappable battery but that usually becomes a problem as time goes on. I need SD slot more and more now. Tired of downloading videos which can be large files and then transferring them to the computer or phone with a memory card. Videos are at 360p but I have many random ones that can reach 100 MB per file. Once the smoke clears, the Note 4 might still be the best all-around Samsung out there. No screen design gimmicks. Just fundamentally sound, versatile features that will get more useful and needed over time.

Cannot go wrong with the Note 4 which should sell now at a discount and the Nexus 6 is a great device as well.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
A construction site next to a tennis court. I wonder if it gets loud during matches.

But regardless, I guess I'm in the norm when I say it looks kinda weird having no bezels on the side and having them top and bottom.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I do like some of OPPO's innovative thinking. Among all Chinese OEM's, I like their designs better than Xiaomi, Lenovo, ZTE, and so on. Perhaps only Huawei is up there with them since the Mate7 was a classy design for a phablet. OPPO's biggest drawback is they overprice their smartphones. Similar SoC and specs, and OPPO might charge 30% higher than what Lenovo and most Chinese brands might offer. This is also BlackBerry's biggest problem too now that Nokia/Microsoft offer devices with far better value at the sub-$100 range. And it gets tougher when companies like Gionee/BLU and ZTE offer better value too. That recent ZTE Nubia Z9 mini and + look really good! Surprising from ZTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.