Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vanoord

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
The one difference between the apps that changes is where iPhoto automatically created Events for you (and sometimes you needed to tweak them to get pictures where you wanted), in Photos.app you need to create Albums on your own after importing pictures (or taking a batch of pictures, etc.)

But honestly, if you were the type that micromanaged your events and kept them "clean and organized" in iPhoto, that won't change in Photos, you'll just do so using Albums.

This is the nub of the problem for me.

'Collections' > 'Moments' is arbitrary and can not be edited.

I wouldn't describe how I used 'Events' to manage photographs as 'micromanaging' though.

For example, if I went on holiday, I'd group all the photos (including iPhone pics) into an Event for that holiday.

Okay, I could do that with an album, but there is no way of telling whether I've got all photographs related to that holiday in the album - under the old system, if I was going through an adjacent Event and found a photograph that should be in the holiday Event, it would stick out. Now there's no way of telling, because Albums are not the primary way of sorting.

'Moments' doesn't do the same thing, particularly if you're using anything other than a GPS-enabled camera like an iPhone.

To bring a useful functionality, photographs would have to be able to be moved between 'Moments' and the user have the ability to rename 'Moments' - currently I've got some that are named after the nearest road, which is just daft.

To make 'Collections' useful, being able to rename them would be a start, but to make them useful it would be handy to be able to select which 'Moments' are allocated to which 'Collections'.

'Albums' simply don't constitute a useful replacement - they're handy, for example, for putting the best selection of photographs from a holiday but they're not a primary means of organising a big photo library.

Basically, the new Photos app is designed for a user who has little interest in their photography collection other than it displaying the photos they take with their iPhone.

bryanzak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2002
This is the nub of the problem for me.

'Collections' > 'Moments' is arbitrary and can not be edited.

I wouldn't describe how I used 'Events' to manage photographs as 'micromanaging' though.

For example, if I went on holiday, I'd group all the photos (including iPhone pics) into an Event for that holiday.

Okay, I could do that with an album, but there is no way of telling whether I've got all photographs related to that holiday in the album - under the old system, if I was going through an adjacent Event and found a photograph that should be in the holiday Event, it would stick out. Now there's no way of telling, because Albums are not the primary way of sorting.

I understand what you're saying, but not sure it's going to be really that much of an issue in practice.

It would help quite a bit though if you could right click a photo (or photos) and see a list of albums it belongs to just like you can do in iTunes to see which Playlists a song belongs to. I've filed bug reports on this and others should too if they would find that useful.

'Moments' doesn't do the same thing, particularly if you're using anything other than a GPS-enabled camera like an iPhone.

Yes the main Year > Collections > Moments "auto arranger" is seems less useful if your photos aren't geo-tagged. But I don't really use this view much myself.

To bring a useful functionality, photographs would have to be able to be moved between 'Moments' and the user have the ability to rename 'Moments' - currently I've got some that are named after the nearest road, which is just daft.

To make 'Collections' useful, being able to rename them would be a start, but to make them useful it would be handy to be able to select which 'Moments' are allocated to which 'Collections'.

File bug reports! I've filed bug reports for exactly what you propose, but the more people that do the same the better the chance it'll get added.

'Albums' simply don't constitute a useful replacement - they're handy, for example, for putting the best selection of photographs from a holiday but they're not a primary means of organising a big photo library.

I disagree - they can act exactly like Events if you want them to. You're just hung up on doing something the way you've always done it. Congrats you figured out Events in iPhoto. You're rare from what i can tell. Virtually every one of my family and friends doesn't "get" it at all.

Using Albums in Photos will require virtually no extra effort on your part than Events in iPhoto did.

Basically, the new Photos app is designed for a user who has little interest in their photography collection other than it displaying the photos they take with their iPhone.

if you say so. But then this discussion is moot - you've already made up your mind to hate Photos. So be it. Good luck.

Vanoord

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
I understand what you're saying, but not sure it's going to be really that much of an issue in practice.

It would help quite a bit though if you could right click a photo (or photos) and see a list of albums it belongs to just like you can do in iTunes to see which Playlists a song belongs to. I've filed bug reports on this and others should too if they would find that useful.

I'd file bug reports if the Feedback Assistant hadn't removed itself from my computer!

Yes the main Year > Collections > Moments "auto arranger" is seems less useful if your photos aren't geo-tagged. But I don't really use this view much myself.

The "problem" is that I'm using a year-old Nikon 'Prosumer' DSLR that doesn't do geotagging, presumably because its primary purpose is to take good photographs rather than integrate itself into my 'digital lifestyle'.

Still, the geotagging on my iPhone has a habit of naming locations after local roads, so that's hardly useful either!

I disagree - they can act exactly like Events if you want them to. You're just hung up on doing something the way you've always done it. Congrats you figured out Events in iPhoto. You're rare from what i can tell. Virtually every one of my family and friends doesn't "get" it at all.

Using Albums in Photos will require virtually no extra effort on your part than Events in iPhoto did.

Except that Albums are not the primary means of organising the original photographs.

if you say so. But then this discussion is moot - you've already made up your mind to hate Photos. So be it. Good luck.

I've not made up my mind to 'hate' Photos.

I don't *like* it because it lacks several of the useful functions of iPhoto and primarily because it sorts photo imports arbitrarily in a pseudo-random manner.

For example, I'd like the background to be changeable from white (the same way iPhoto allows) because I find dark grey easier on the eye.

I'd like the Edit function to not hide half the options by default.

I'd like the Export function to give me the option to rename an image before I save it.

Basically, I want Photos to be iPhoto *plus* some of the Aperture functionality so it can act as a means of organising photographs as well as basic editing functions and the ability to create books, calendars and prints.

Instead, it seems to be a scaled-up iOS app with some of the functions hidden or removed so.

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
After installation, the about this mac still report 10.10.2. Photos app is installed and cannot run. The kernel version is also still at 10.10.2. Software update says 10.10.3 beta is already installed.

Is there a way to reinstall?

yannick-sker

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015
After installation, the about this mac still report 10.10.2. Photos app is installed and cannot run. The kernel version is also still at 10.10.2. Software update says 10.10.3 beta is already installed.

Same problem here for me and my girlfriend. We both have the latest betas of 10.10.3 installed according to the App Store, but the system says it's still in 10.10.2. Photos app is installed, but we can't use it as it requires 10.10.3.

mctape

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009

Same problem here. I'm stuck in 10.10.2 with no way to download/reinstall 10.10.3 from the store.

russofris

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Same problem here. I'm stuck in 10.10.2 with no way to download/reinstall 10.10.3 from the store.

Same issue. Submitted report via feedback assistant.

Displayed error is:

Code:
You can’t use this version of the application “Photos” with this version of OS*X.

You have OS*X 10.10.2. The application requires OS*X 10.10.3 or later.

Note: iPhoto is still in the applications menu and usable for the short term.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012

I did CMD R during reboot and reinstalled OS X. Then went to the MAS and was given the option to download 10.10.3 beta. Back to normal.

yannick-sker

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015
I did CMD R during reboot and reinstalled OS X. Then went to the MAS and was given the option to download 10.10.3 beta. Back to normal.

Did it too this morning, unfortunately i was not given that option. I tried to reinstall the YosemiteBetaAccessUtility, everything was apparently ok but after its installation, the MAS opens but still no update available. Looks like i wiped up my computer for nothing !

yannick-sker

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015
I understood why it did not work : the latest security update for 10.10.2 is not compatible with 10.10.3. So you have to reinstall Yosemite, not install the latest security update and then install he 10.10.3 update

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I understood why it did not work : the latest security update for 10.10.2 is not compatible with 10.10.3. So you have to reinstall Yosemite, not install the latest security update and then install he 10.10.3 update

That's terrible isn't it? Shouldn't Apple know about this? Because both appear in MAS updates...

Well, I am not in a hurry so I will wait for the next beta. Other than Photos.app other things work fine.

sumo.do

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
Australia
I've installed the Yosemite Beta Access Utility and it opens up the App store once installed but there is not update for 10.10.3. My friend is having the same prob. Does anyone know if they pulled the public beta in the last few days?

sumo.do

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
Australia
They haven't pulled it.

But if you installed the security update 2015-002 which fixes the FREAK vulnerability, then the current public beta will not show up because it does not contain the fix.

Nevertheless the new developer seed for 10.10.3 build 14D98g does contain the fix and does therefore show up to developers - even if they too have installed the 2015-002 security update.

Thanks.

I did install 2015-002 so that makes sense.

Jazz76

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
Hi all - sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - because of the (probable) differences in the way Aperture and Photos handles picture files, has anybody noticed any differences in total file size? For example, my Aperture folder is about 50GB, would it still be 50GB when transferred to Photos? In the case of Aperture, about 11GB of this is the Previews - does Photos work in the same way? I still intend to store the images on my mac.
Cheers!

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Hi all - sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - because of the (probable) differences in the way Aperture and Photos handles picture files, has anybody noticed any differences in total file size? For example, my Aperture folder is about 50GB, would it still be 50GB when transferred to Photos? In the case of Aperture, about 11GB of this is the Previews - does Photos work in the same way? I still intend to store the images on my mac.
Cheers!

my iPhoto library was 370gb and now my photos library is 450gb but i have no idea why :(

sumo.do

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
Australia
my iPhoto library was 370gb and now my photos library is 450gb but i have no idea why :(

That may be because you are now connected to iCloud Photo Beta so anything you had on your iOS device (if you were using iCloud Photo Beta) or in iCloud Photo beta on the web would have been downloaded. That's vids and pics.

My data base is bigger for that reason at least.

Also depending on your settings, the Photos app is downloading the full originals (not optimised) so this takes up more size again.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
That may be because you are now connected to iCloud Photo Beta so anything you had on your iOS device (if you were using iCloud Photo Beta) or in iCloud Photo beta on the web would have been downloaded. That's vids and pics.

My data base is bigger for that reason at least.

Also depending on your settings, the Photos app is downloading the full originals (not optimised) so this takes up more size again.

I had about 3 or 4 gig on my phone that would have merged.

Basilfawltyone

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
I like Photos. I just have one problem:

Photos I took with my iPhone in Alabama shows Summerdale, AL on my iPhone but Tibet, China when imported to Photos.

Photos taken in Florida shows Nehri, Nepal.

Like to visit there but how sexy is it if photos really taken in Tibet will show Alabama...:)

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
My Photos library is about 5GB smaller than my iPhoto library, mostly because I've been working in it, deleting unwanted photos. I'm not enrolled in the iCloud thing and don't plan to be.

watcurb

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2014
Photos in Albums Out of Order

I have migrated my iPhoto library to Photos in beta and all of my albums have transferred over. However the photos in my albums are out of order from what I had arranged them in in iPhoto. I don't want to have to reorder 100s of albums of photos. Anyone else noticing this? Is it just a beta bug?

fa.ce

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2006
How the Photo reduce size option works ?

I've a very large iPhoto database (more than 1TB) that would love to upgrade to the new Photo app.
On my primary iMac (2 TB) i would leave the original photo and on my Mac Book (512 GB) would activate the reduce size option.

How this option exactly works ?
Which size a database of 1TB will become on Mac Book (with reduce size option activated) ?
If on Mac Book i want to edit a photo it will downloaded from iCloud in full size and after editing automagically reduced ?
If i've no internet connection it would be possibile to edit a photo in reduced size on Mac Book ?
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.