Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Element Case is a company known for making cases from premium materials, often with a premium price tag. We went hands-on with the company's Solace case for the iPhone 6 Plus in our latest video review, which is part of Element Case's LUXE Collection.

Priced at $99, the Solace is a three-piece case that consists of a polycarbonate body with a foam insert to protect the iPhone, an aluminum top and bottom, and aluminum buttons. It comes in several colors, including gold, white, black, and turquoise.

We thought the Solace offered good protection, but it adds a decent amount of bulk to the iPhone and it's pretty pricy for what you're getting comparative to other cases. We also weren't a fan of the mismatched colors on the gold option or the slight rattling sound the aluminum buttons make.

solacecaseiphone6.jpg

Both the Solace case for iPhone 6 and and the case for the iPhone 6 Plus are available from the ElementCase website for $99.

Note: MacRumors received no compensation for this video review.

Article Link: Video Review: Element Case's Solace Case for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
We thought the Solace offered good protection, but it adds a decent amount of bulk to the iPhone and it's pretty pricy for what you're getting comparative to other cases. We also weren't a fan of the mismatched colors on the gold option or the slight rattling sound the aluminum buttons make.

Such kind words.

You should start having a rating system for products you review. This case can get:

:apple:XXXX = 1/5

Bad price. Bad appearance. Bulky. Rattly. But at least it protects your phone (just like a better looking $5 case.)

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Element Case is a company known for making cases from premium materials, often with a premium price tag. We went hands-on with the company's Solace case for the iPhone 6 Plus in our latest video review, which is part of Element Case's LUXE Collection.

Priced at $99, the Solace is a three-piece case that consists of a polycarbonate body with a foam insert to protect the iPhone, an aluminum top and bottom, and aluminum buttons. It comes in several colors, including gold, white, black, and turquoise.

YouTube: video

Both the Solace case for iPhone 6 and and the case for the iPhone 6 Plus are available from the ElementCase website for $99.

Article Link: Video Review: Element Case's Solace Case for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

I like the disclaimer that macrumors didn't get compensated for absolutely trashing this product. :)

I like these product reviews though. Macrumors should've started these a long time ago. I literally go to no other tech sites as much as Macrumors.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
One ugly case. Element make some awesome cases, but damn they are expansive

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Such kind words.

You should start having a rating system for products you review. This case can get:

:apple:XXXX = 1/5

Bad price. Bad appearance. Bulky. Rattly. But at least it protects your phone (just like a better looking $5 case.)

i like the concept. A consumer report scoring on MR.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Over engineered and expensive. Especially given a short time frame of ownership for those that upgrade phones. It probably inspires buyers remorse.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011

Would you mind sharing how you heard about the item, where you got it and who paid for it, and what you plan to do with the item now that you have reviewed it?

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
Oh yea .. Complain about plastic phones but then whack your metal one in plastic :p

But when I go into the forums I'm always seeing a post about a scratched screen or a dent in the metal. I personally care about taking care of my phone because I plan on selling it after a year. I wouldn't want to buy a dented scratched phone.
I believe the only solution is to make user replaceable bodies and screens but Apple will never allow this because they rather you spend money on Apple repair services.
And it's pretty sad that I can't leave my bedroom until I get my iPad Air 2 case in the mail this Friday. The screen replacement alone is close to $400 so I'm extra careful.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
But when I go into the forums I'm always seeing a post about a scratched screen or a dent in the metal. I personally care about taking care of my phone because I plan on selling it after a year. I wouldn't want to buy a dented scratched phone.
I believe the only solution is to make user replaceable bodies and screens but Apple will never allow this because they rather you spend money on Apple repair services.
And it's pretty sad that I can't leave my bedroom until I get my iPad Air 2 case in the mail this Friday. The screen replacement alone is close to $400 so I'm extra careful.

I gave up selling phones privately long ago. Not worth the hassle. Got screwed over way too often. If I intend to upgrade my phone early I usually sell it to websites where the only requirement is that it works.

azntaiji

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Would you mind sharing how you heard about the item, where you got it and who paid for it, and what you plan to do with the item now that you have reviewed it?

More than likely, a publicist reached out and offered a review sample.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
More than likely, a publicist reached out and offered a review sample.

Why not be upfront. That's because getting a free case valued at $99 is compensation. Oh, and maybe the manufacture sent it directly to them? They should be going through the same channels a regular customer would to ensure that they received the same product as the the one you would buy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why not be upfront. That's because getting a free case valued at $99 is compensation. Oh, and maybe the manufacture sent it directly to them? They should be going through the same channels a regular customer would to ensure that they received the same product as the the one you would buy.

So all of this information is provided somewhere, or just personal speculation and nothing more?

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
So all of this information is provided somewhere, or just personal speculation and nothing more?

I don't undersand your question. They didn't provide the information. The should, to improve the trustworthiness of their reviews.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't undersand your question. They didn't provide the information. The should, to improve the trustworthiness of their reviews.

Seems like you provided some information but then you are saying no one mentioned anything, so where did you get your information?

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Seems like you provided some information but then you are saying no one mentioned anything, so where did you get your information?

What information did I provide? It's a request that they provide information. If they want to claim they were not compensated for their review, they need to be clear about how the product was obtained, and what they will do with it after.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What information did I provide? It's a request that they provide information. If they want to claim they were not compensated for their review, they need to be clear about how the product was obtained, and what they will do with it after.

The way your original post about this reads seems like a pretty clear implication that there was compensation involved and not just merely questioning if it was involved. With additional statements about how things were obtained. Seems like more information would be needed indicating those things (aside from just speculation and implications).

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
The way your original post about this reads seems like a pretty clear implication that there was compensation involved and not just merely questioning if it was involved. With additional statements about how things were obtained. Seems like more information would be needed indicating those things (aside from just speculation and implications).

It was one sentence, and a question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.