Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm grateful this thread introduced the Rockefort 10 to me. Despite my pedestrian tastes I think it's a quality beer. So yesterday I enjoyed the best of both worlds by having a large quantity of quality. It didn't help that Iowa didn't get that miracle I hoped for and ended up finishing second at Nationals. I gotta give credit to Ohio State. They're a quality team. Tom Ryan is an excellent coach (and a Hawkeye alum & Gable product).

Gosh. As am I.

Tonight, I opened the first of this fantastic beer - the Trappist Rochefort 10 - I have ever had the privilege of sampling, and must admit that it is simply outstanding, a superlative beer.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Tried a local brewery this weekend, Smog City Brewery Coffee Porter! Oh MY!!!! What a great and very strong, I mean really strong coffee beer! Liked it so much I ordered a second round for myself. The kicker is it was on tap and it is a local brewery to boot!!! I really liked this..... If you like coffee and you like porters, you might want to seek this one out and try it! The aroma and taste is incredible...

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This past week I have sampled both the Rochefort Trappist 8 and its more robust sibling, the Rochefort Trappist 10. Both are outstanding beers.

However, as a result of recommendations from this very thread, I have also made the acquaintance of some of the excellent beers from the Founder's range and stable.

So, also this past week, I have sampled and savoured the splendidly named 'Old Curmudgeon' (seriously, how could anyone resist a beer bearing such a wonderful name?), and tonight, I am sipping a glass of a beer which comes with the splendid moniker of 'Dirty Bastard', both from Founder's, and both excellent beers.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I know I may be laughed at for posting here, but here goes. I love beer but for various reasons can no longer have the alcohol. What are people's favorite (if there is such a thing) non-alcoholic (NA) beers? I have tried most available locally (O'douhls, Becks, Kaliber, Busch, etc). Of those Odouls and Busch are the only ones I can even drink (Kaliber is by far the worst). Any others? I know Coors makes one but it is not sold here (Texas).

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Last week I posted a photo of the new additions to the Supermarket beer, which included two US beers.

This week they introducted another two new US beers to this side of the water.

IMG_1096_zpsctlkzxkm.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
To see me through this week end, - cold, wet, windy, but redeemed by longer evenings and somewhat better natural light - I have stocked up on a few more bottles - several of each - of Trappist Rochefort 8, and Trappist Rochefort 10 ……..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Inexplicably, my stock of Trappist Rochefort 10 seems to have run low, (a deficiency I must remedy) so I have raided my own cellar and managed to retrieve a bottle (or two) of the quite outstanding St Bernardus Abt 12…..

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Will have a few Red Chair beers from Deschutes Brewery, in Bend, Oregon. It is a Northwest Pale Ale and has excellent taste.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Funny how that happens....

Yes. Inexplicable. Quite inexplicable….

And the problem is that (unlike when I was a student and used to raid my dad's supply of whiskey, particularly when sneaking, er, stumbling, back into the house in the small hours, invariably accompanied by pals, friends, class-mates with whom I had been drinking and had subsequently invited home in a surfeit of hospitality, to my dad's exasperation when he would discover the, um drained, whiskey bottles…..but I always also offered my own excellent coffee, invariably in a French press, served in proper porcelain cups, also consumed at….say, 4 a.m….) I can blame nobody else for the inexplicable disappearance of my Trappist Rochefort 10, as few of my friends live anywhere nearby….actually, come to think of it, most of them live in a wide variety of different countries...

Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Yes. Inexplicable. Quite inexplicable….

And the problem is that (unlike when I was a student and used to raid my dad's supply of whiskey, particularly when sneaking, er, stumbling, back into the house in the small hours, invariably accompanied by pals, friends, class-mates with whom I had been drinking and had subsequently invited home in a surfeit of hospitality, to my dad's exasperation when he would discover the, um drained, whiskey bottles…..but I always also offered my own excellent coffee, invariably in a French press, served in proper porcelain cups, also consumed at….say, 4 a.m….) I can blame nobody else for the inexplicable disappearance of my Trappist Rochefort 10, as few of my friends live anywhere nearby….actually, come to think of it, most of them live in a wide variety of different countries...

Perhaps some of those Icelandic huldufólk traveled south and found themselves inordinately fond of Trappist ales?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Perhaps some of those Icelandic huldufólk traveled south and found themselves inordinately fond of Trappist ales?

You know something, you could well be right. This might serve as an explanation for a frankly, inexplicable occurrence….

Actually, I recall sharing the task of (observing the election process and subsequent count) in polling stations,…..in Kosovo,….some years ago, with an Icelandic parliamentarian, and our conversation ranged far and wide……..and, as is the way at such times and in such places, inevitably included the surreptitious yet excessive consumption of alcohol by widely travelled fairie folk, the sort of creatures the existence of which is doubted by those whose lives are governed by the dictates of pure reason…...

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I couldn’t help notice all the talk about Trappist beers, just an update, my local supermarket has started to stock the full range of some Trappist beers.

IMG_1099_zpsp7hkbgug.jpg

Chimay.

The Brown at 7% Red label
The Triple at 8% White label
Standard at 9% Blue Label

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
After having finished some work in the garden this afternoon, I sampled a Goose Island IPA, as a treat. ( post 655)

I must say that it's a very fresh tasting beer, and is very good at quenching a thirst.:cool:

I sampled, sipped and savoured a bottle of "Straffe Hendrik" last night. Just the one. But it was simply delicious.

I always say there is always time and place to drink at least one good beer.;)

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
My last few:

Mash & Grind
Chocolate Rain
Bois Fume
Smooth Criminal
Mocha Wednesday

It really is great to be a Bruery Society member.

Also have had: Parabola 12-15 (have drank a couple bottles of 15 as well)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My last few:

Mash & Grind
Chocolate Rain
Bois Fume
Smooth Criminal
Mocha Wednesday

Never heard of any of these, but they sound good.

I can only assume that they are as delicious as they sound……anyway, may you enjoy sipping, savouring and sampling them all.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Been a busy month or so with a new position.

Looks like war pigs (three floyds/mikkeler) opened up in Copenhagen today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428677885.004701.jpg

And darklord day is in a couple weeks. Should be a good time as always.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
My last few:

Mash & Grind
Chocolate Rain
Bois Fume
Smooth Criminal
Mocha Wednesday

I saw that lost and was gonna say you had to be a member. I have had all but the smooth criminal. Their stuff is great. But it gets pricey.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Having been away at meetings for the day, on my return tonight, I opened, and savoured and sipped a single bottle of Trappist Rochefort 8, to set a mood of…….relaxation.

And now, I have just opened a bottle of Niepoort 20 Year Old Tawny Port, which is……simply divine.

It is a pale, but clear, amber in the glass. The nose is incredible, (subdued crisp blackcurrant, slightly nutty, touch of quince, fig, toffee, caramel and a slight sense of orange zest) while the taste is sublime. Smooth, rich, velvet, the alcoholic bite tamed and the fruit luscious but subdued, sweet but not cloying, tempered with a lovely balancing acidity. Superb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.