Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Prophesizing...

If we're going to say hello to Skylake 15" rMBPs say in October 2016,

1) What about having Skylake 13" rMBP, by the same time?
2) Any hope of welcoming the re-incarnation of the 17" rMBP, by the same time?

And can we expect wireless charging with the introduction of Skylake rMBP?

:cool:

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
If we're going to say hello to Skylake 15" rMBPs say in October 2016,

1) What about having Skylake 13" rMBP, by the same time?

2) Any hope of welcoming the re-incarnation of the 17" rMBP, by the same time?

And can we expect wireless charging with the introduction of Skylake rMBP?

:cool:

By fall 2016 you'll probably see a cannonlake MBP. This fall, 2015 (or early 2016) will likely see the skylake 13" and 15" refreshes or redesigns.

Very much doubt a 17" MBP reintroduction, since everything seems to be transitioning in the opposite direction. But never say never, Apple could always do a 180 on the 17".

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Very much doubt a 17" MBP reintroduction, since everything seems to be transitioning in the opposite direction. But never say never, Apple could always do a 180 on the 17".

They made a 12 inch, so maybe they going to even numbers (like 14 and 16) and drop all the odds.

Derived

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
I'm going to be honest and say this has confused the hell out of me, I thought Broadwell was going to be available come the summer ie June/July hence my confidence we'd see an announcement about the 15" Pro at WWDC in June with obvious spec upgrades based around the same ones the 13" recently got but with a better dGPU aswell.

In regards to Skylake I thought it was looking more likely for the end of the year/early 2016 which would have put it in line for another release with the 15" Pro ie Broadwell getting a mid 2015 release and Skylake an early 2016 release but I had no idea that Skylake is so close...if this is indeed the case wouldn't it be reasonable to assume the 15" Pro would be announced along with the rumoured iPad Pro and the 5k Imac refresh in an October event?

Ok, basically Broadwell has dragged so far that most OEMs have decided to jump to Skylake, which will be ready and shipping in the second half of this year. There's no real reason to upgrade the 15 to Broadwell, it would be a tiny bump. I predict a new display lineup is coming, 12/14/16 instead of 11/13/15. I think we'll see at minimum, a heavily revised Skylake 15 announced at WWDC with availability later in the summer. Potentially might switch to a 16" screen size. Then we'll see the 13" dropped in the fall and move to a new 14" design with Skylake. And then, by the winter, we'll see refreshed MacBooks with Skylake and perhaps in 12 and 14" sizes.

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I really hope I my 2012 rMBP 15" will hold together until later this year.

Yesterday it gave me a real electric shock (with a small flash) and shut down. I unplugged the power cord and restarted it. I was sure everything was f**ed but it rebooted fine and everything was back to normal.

I hope I won't have to wait until it breaks, since I could sell it for at least 1000 dollars.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
First, I would like to acknowledge that my prediction that Apple would probably introduce the 13" and 15" MBPs at the same time turned out to be wrong.

By fall 2016 you'll probably see a cannonlake MBP. This fall, 2015 (or early 2016) will likely see the skylake 13" and 15" refreshes or redesigns.
I very much doubt we'll see a Skylake MBP before February 2016, at the earliest.

Yes, the reasons why Apple dropped the 17" MBP don't exist anymore.

There's no real reason to upgrade the 15 to Broadwell, it would be a tiny bump.
Geekbench scores for the 13" MBPs show a speed improvement of more than 10% from Haswell to Broadwell, in addition to faster graphics, better battery life, and the awesome new Force Touch trackpad. For all of these reasons, I expect Apple to introduce a 15" Broadwell MBP this summer. The high-end 15" Broadwell MBP might or might not include a discrete GPU.

AR86

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
Ok, basically Broadwell has dragged so far that most OEMs have decided to jump to Skylake, which will be ready and shipping in the second half of this year. There's no real reason to upgrade the 15 to Broadwell, it would be a tiny bump. I predict a new display lineup is coming, 12/14/16 instead of 11/13/15. I think we'll see at minimum, a heavily revised Skylake 15 announced at WWDC with availability later in the summer. Potentially might switch to a 16" screen size. Then we'll see the 13" dropped in the fall and move to a new 14" design with Skylake. And then, by the winter, we'll see refreshed MacBooks with Skylake and perhaps in 12 and 14" sizes.

REALLY hope this is spot on, 16" would be even better than a 15 as i'm going to be using my new one as a deskptop replacement. Even the announcement at WWDC would be enough, as in they could release it months later but as long as they confirm the release i'd be happy.

This constant waiting for braodwell and then waiting longer for Skylake is doing my head in.

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
By fall 2016 you'll probably see a cannonlake MBP.

Cannonlake isn't coming until 2017, according to Intel. With the issues Intel had moving to a 14nm process, I'd be very surprised if they don't have an even harder time with Cannonlake's 10nm. I'd bet Cannonlake Macbook Pros won't be out until 2018. Skylake is going to be a great machine to get because its going to be the best we will have for a long while to come.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Looking for some thoughts and I've been watching this thread closely for quite some time. I want to upgrade my 2010 MBP but I really want Skylake and a new dGPU. The potential broadwell update with a new trackpad and, more importantly, the faster SSD is also weighing into this decision.

My question: if I were to buy a current gen 750m MBP for $2,250, how much of a hit does everyone think I'll take? I know I know, if you don't need it now then wait. I've had some things slow down at work so now I have some some time now that I could actually enjoy using it (as to why I don't necessarily want to wait forever and just want to calculate the depreciation I will take on owning it for 6 months to a year).

catan

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
My question: if I were to buy a current gen 750m MBP for $2,250, how much of a hit does everyone think I'll take? I know I know, if you don't need it now then wait. I've had some things slow down at work so now I have some some time now that I could actually enjoy using it (as to why I don't necessarily want to wait forever and just want to calculate the depreciation I will take on owning it for 6 months to a year).

You'll take a smaller hit if you go used, which is ~$1800 at the moment.

dsmedic10

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
+1 for the 14" MBP in 13" Pro dimensions utilizing the technology from the new rMB and a quad core CPU. That's my 'ideal' laptop.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
I would just be happy with a base model 15" with broadwell, 500 gb SSD , a usb 3 port for compatibility, 2 usb c ports, and a space gray option :cool:

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
You'll take a smaller hit if you go used, which is ~$1800 at the moment.

That answers the depreciation question. This decision would be a lot easier if I knew if it would be refreshed in June or if it will be later. From what I've seen, there is no broadwell chips on the horizon and Skylake is sometime in 2H15.

kontrast

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2014
Well I caved and bought the new 13 even though I wanted a 15 lol maybe I'll sell it later or something

G-News

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Switzerland
Mine just died

You lucky bunch.
My Mid 2010 15" MBP failed (for the second time on the second mainboard) last week. I don't want to buy a 2014 15" MBP now, seeing how a major revamp is on the table and that, after the 2014 was already a generation behind on everything incl. GPU.
But that currently leaves me with nothing but my trusty old 2010 11" MBA, which is a fantastic little computer, but it is, well, slow.
If I have to wait until Spring 2016 for Skylake 15" MBPs, it will be one heck of a long wait.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
I need a new laptop but I'm not gonna get an outdated 15" model which is now -at least in germany- 400 euros more expensive than it was a month ago, I'm thinking about getting an acer chromebook 15 to hold up until the wwmc to see if Apple actually releases a refreshed 15" macbook pro :(

uploaded

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
I need a new laptop but I'm not gonna get an outdated 15" model which is now -at least in germany- 400 euros more expensive than it was a month ago, I'm thinking about getting an acer chromebook 15 to hold up until the wwmc to see if Apple actually releases a refreshed 15" macbook pro :(

I bought mine (15", 16GB, 2.5 Ghz, 512SSD, 750M) last week at a german online store for 2.199,- EUR (600,- EUR less than apple store). NOW is a good time to get this outdated but ultra fast machine ;-) If you need it.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
I bought mine (15", 16GB, 2.5 Ghz, 512SSD, 750M) last week at a german online store for 2.199,- EUR (600,- EUR less than apple store). NOW is a good time to get this outdated but ultra fast machine ;-) If you need it.

I can only afford the mac by financing it, so I'm pretty much screwed :(, where did you get yours?

G-News

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Switzerland
There's a similar sale here at a major discounter. It is a tempting idea. If the Skylakes come out in a few months, they'll definitely be more than 2200 € or CHF.

uploaded

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
There's a similar sale here at a major discounter. It is a tempting idea. If the Skylakes come out in a few months, they'll definitely be more than 2200 € or CHF.

I was also waiting for Skylake but with that price difference (2.199 ->2.799) compared to the apple store it was a no brainer.

I think when the Skyakes come out they will cost at least the higher price if not more. And they will introduce a new hardware design like the new rMBP 13" - perhaps with higher resolution screens. Either way I would wait one more year for an hardware refresh without bugs ;-)

vbedia

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2014
Geekbench scores for the 13" MBPs show a speed improvement of more than 10% from Haswell to Broadwell, in addition to faster graphics, better battery life, and the awesome new Force Touch trackpad. For all of these reasons, I expect Apple to introduce a 15" Broadwell MBP this summer. The high-end 15" Broadwell MBP might or might not include a discrete GPU.

I agree 100% with this. That's why I very much doubt a rMBP with Skylake this year. If so, that would mean Apple upgrading the rMBP twice the same year with two different Intel processors. I am not a gambling person but I'd say the odds for that to happen are low, very low.

The same reasoning applies to Skylake and Cannonlake. They are not going to upgrade the rMBP in early 2016 with Skylake and later on that year again with Cannonlake. Personally I don't think Cannonlake will be ready for the next year, at least not the processors the 15" rMBP requires.

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
I agree 100% with this. That's why I very much doubt a rMBP with Skylake this year. If so, that would mean Apple upgrading the rMBP twice the same year with two different Intel processors. I am not a gambling person but I'd say the odds for that to happen are low, very low.

The same reasoning applies to Skylake and Cannonlake. They are not going to upgrade the rMBP in early 2016 with Skylake and later on that year again with Cannonlake. Personally I don't think Cannonlake will be ready for the next year, at least not the processors the 15" rMBP requires.

True, Apple will not make a double upgrade in a year...

However, by now, it's pretty much obvious (somehow declared in officially by Intel) that they will not produce the Broadwell versions that should go into 15" rMBP models. Therefore, those 15" rMBPs will have to wait for the Skylake chips, most probably for the late 2015 (at the earliest...), if not early 2016.

What needs to be answered are:

1) Will Apple make any radical design change(s( with the introduction of Skylake, to the rMBP line? Such as a redesigned case?
2) If there will be Skylake based 15" rMBPs at late 2015, what will happen to the recently introduced 13" rMBPs with Broadwells? Will they also upgrade to Skylake (whivh means a double upgrade within 2015 for the 13" models...) or what?

creamz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2015
I have took the plunge and bought the new 13" Macbook Pro. This is my first Macbook coming from a Windows camp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.