Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
2015%2B-%2B1

2015%2B-%2B1

2015%2B-%2B1

2015%2B-%2B1

2015%2B-%2B1

Z3 Compact...Blade S6...HTC 620

2015%2B-%2B6

2015%2B-%2B7

2015%2B-%2B2

2015%2B-%2B1

2015%2B-%2B1

2015%2B-%2B1

2015%2B-%2B1

2015%2B-%2B1

The ZTE Blade S6 is a nice budget device. Compared with the HTC Desire 620, (which is also a new device and has the same size screen) it has a 16GB ROM versus 8; 2GB RAM versus 1; Octacore 64 bit SD615 versus a SD410. Lollipop versus Kitkat. It is smaller, lighter, thinner and makes more use of the 5" by not having any on-screen buttons. The display is better, the cameras are better. No competition, really, and the devices cost exactly the same. The HTC is also laggy which isn't good for a device just released a few weeks ago, and it will probably remain on KitKat forever.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Few questions....
What's performance like compared to the Z3 compact? And performance in general...

What android skin is it using? and how much exactly was it?

Is this a device built for western markets or was it imported? I.e. Are there like some phones constant traces of its legacy (apps or menus in Chinese even after switching language).

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Few questions....
What's performance like compared to the Z3 compact? And performance in general...

What android skin is it using? and how much exactly was it?

Is this a device built for western markets or was it imported? I.e. Are there like some phones constant traces of its legacy (apps or menus in Chinese even after switching language).

Hi - it has a very light ZTE skin on top of Lollipop with a few useful ZTE apps, little bloatware at all, very flat design and pleasing colours. I think I'll keep it for a while before eventually going to Apex or Nova.

It's meant for European and Asian markets (I understand there may be some LTE issues with it in North America). I got it from Amazon UK for £169.99. http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZTE-Unlocked-Smartphone-Lollipop-Cellphone/dp/B00TGUHD1E

Performance is very good - it really flies through menus, settings,in and out of apps, hard to compare it with the Sony because that is still on KitKat, but my impressions are that it's not far behind. The screen is one of the best I've seen on an Android - not quite Note 4 or iPhone territory but very good for a 720p 5".

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Cool, sounds like a good solid alternative to the Moto G 2014. Slightly newer processor and 2gb compared to 1gb in the G. :) Have you had it long? If not, keep us posted with it after a few weeks of use :)

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Cool, sounds like a good solid alternative to the Moto G 2014. Slightly newer processor and 2gb compared to 1gb in the G. :) Have you had it long? If not, keep us posted with it after a few weeks of use :)

I got it on Thursday - I'm really just blown away by how much better it is than the HTC I recently bought. I only really want 2 phones so think I'll be moving the 620 along soon.

But you're right, for £20 or so extra I'd rather have this than any of the Moto G variants.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
They're amongst the least noise isolating iems, and people can hear your music due to the half in-ear design.

But they sound very good.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
ZTE has really impressed me with their budget phones perhaps even more so than Gionee/BLU with a surprisingly good phone in the ZTE ZMAX.

I underestimated ZTE about three years ago when I spoke to someone using one with horrendous reception. I underestimated ZTE like I underestimated Huawei back in 2011 when my Dad had crappy reception from a Huawei phone on MetroPCS. Both Huawei and ZTE have gotten better over the years.

I am very intrigued by the ZTE Nubia Z9 mini. I prefer the Max version but the mini at $240 seems good enough for me. Now it all depends with the same battery capacity, which is more efficient with between the overheating Snapdragon 810 vs 615? The Z9 mini wins it based on having a smaller screen and seeing the M9 falter in stamina with the 810. Phone Arena already tested the 815 which ran cooler than 801 and 810. Z9 mini falters in AnTuTu test but I would much rather have a cheaper phone which runs cooler and better battery life. We have come to a point where midrange devices are better than flagships from 18 months ago and have good enough specs for most people while priced at under $250.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I'm still loving it - my Z3 Compact doesn't get much use any more. It's coming around to 6 months of usage, anyway, so perhaps time to get rid off. I'll generally keep a flagship for that time.

2015%2B-%2B1

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
Im thinking of upgrading to this from my iPhone 4, a couple of questions as i've never owned an Android device, are those widgets a part of lollipop? I see there are some apps like isyncr to sync with iTunes, how do you sync your media?

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Im thinking of upgrading to this from my iPhone 4, a couple of questions as i've never owned an Android device, are those widgets a part of lollipop? I see there are some apps like isyncr to sync with iTunes, how do you sync your media?

Hi - I think my lock-screen widgets shown are part of Lollipop, but most apps have their own widgets, it doesn't matter whether the device is Lollipop or not.

I've got Google Play Music to which I uploaded some 10000 songs a while back. I can listen to those or any of Google's own as I subscribe to All Access.

Of course, the device takes microSD so you can load up your own music and use the player of your choice from Play or the built-in player. I like Poweramp and Shuttle + but there are many others and you can use any or all of them.

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
Ok thanks, i wasn't sure if you had to install something to get the widgets but if its part of the OS and apps that's cool.

Just one more question, some reviewers have said the back casing is quite slippy, how do you find it?

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Ok thanks, i wasn't sure if you had to install something to get the widgets but if its part of the OS and apps that's cool.

Just one more question, some reviewers have said the back casing is quite slippy, how do you find it?

Yes, I would agree - best to try and find a cheap gel case for it.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Gosh, that looks nothing AT ALL like a tacky iPhone copy... not one iota. :D

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Gosh, that looks nothing AT ALL like a tacky iPhone copy... not one iota. :D

At less than a third the price of an iPhone, it's a pretty compelling buy and gets good reviews. I prefer using it to my Z3 Compact as it has a better screen. But then again, I rotate 4 or more phones on a regular basis.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
There's nothing tacky about that. Unless you're saying the iPhone looks tacky ?

Erm no, I'm saying THIS looks tacky. Nice try at putting words into my mouth. There's more tacky here than on a wall of half dry paint.

----------

At less than a third the price of an iPhone, it's a pretty compelling buy and gets good reviews. I prefer using it to my Z3 Compact as it has a better screen. But then again, I rotate 4 or more phones on a regular basis.

And less than one tenth of the experience too.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Erm no, I'm saying THIS looks tacky. Nice try at putting words into my mouth. There's more tacky here than on a wall of half dry paint.

----------

And less than one tenth of the experience too.

It's a solid mid-spec Android device. What didn't you like about yours?

thomas131091

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
There's no apple logo on it !
Hi - purchase a Blade 6 last week and need some help . I have 2 groups of contacts ( one office and one others) can they be separated in different SIMs? Also I don't want the office staff to know that I have whatsapp , which I want to use for my friends/relatives - can this be achieved in Blade 6 and how to do it? Thanking in advance

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.